Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York/New Jersey Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to claim the 2k rebate, I was emailed a form to sign a few days prior to delivery, from what I remember. Had to fill it out, scan it in and email it back.
OK, I did check a few minutes ago. I have not received the NJ form at this point post-delivery.

The response: "You will receive a form to complete via e-mail post delivery then that is all on your end"

So i shall be patient.

OK, I did check a few minutes ago. I have not received the NJ form at this point post-delivery.

The response: "You will receive a form to complete via e-mail post delivery then that is all on your end"

So i shall be patient.
Strange. After taking delivery, I can't imagine they could really come after you for the 2k that they already deducted. When I log into my chargeup NJ account to check on my EV charger rebate, I can also see the status of the 2k rebate for the car that was submitted by Tesla. At one point I saw that it was rejected and then later it was showing that it had been resubmitted. It shows that the application was started 2 days after my VIN was assigned, which was about 2 weeks prior to my delivery.

Also confused about the federal tax credit. Tesla didn't provide me with any documentation relating to it, but the IRS site clearly says that they should have provided documentation by the delivery date. I hope Tesla is doing everything correctly to ensure we don't have issues when filing for the credit.

The determination of the limit parallels the Federal definition. Basically it's what's physically in the car that counts.
Reading the site, seems as though EAP software also counts against the cap. See below.

https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...Charge_Up_New_Jersey_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Top of page 13.

The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which
relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system).

Also confused about the federal tax credit. Tesla didn't provide me with any documentation relating to it, but the IRS site clearly says that they should have provided documentation by the delivery date. I hope Tesla is doing everything correctly to ensure we don't have issues when filing for the credit.
This is what they told me yesterday after I asked if they reported the delivery to IRS: "All VINS are reported, but the form needs to be completed and submitted with your tax filing next year to claim!" (this refers to the IRS 8936 form where you report the information and claim the credit)

Last edited:
Reactions: nj987
Reading the site, seems as though EAP software also counts against the cap. See below.

https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...Charge_Up_New_Jersey_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Top of page 13.

The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which
relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system).
I guess err on the side of caution. Especially in NJ.

To quote a sign a friend had on his desk at work...........................

"If you are going to sin, sin against G_d. G_d forgives."

Reactions: LuryeMI
2/3 order MYLR
2/4 changed to MYP
VIN 2/26
est delivery date 3/14 - 3/20

Do they give you any updates between Vin and schedule delivery date. I have never spoke to a SA or anyone, I don't want to start now. I thought I read you get a update when in Transit.

I want to sell my car to carmax or carvana, trying to figure out a timeline for the 7 day offer. I doubt my financing will come through in time, Ill be forced to use Tesla's, I have a 843 fico 9 I should be able to refi at 3% or less. If not, I will pay the loan off before the 1st month. I don't roll w/ 5.33% loans.

Top of page 13.

This is correct, software counts against the 55k cap. If you use the Tesla configuration page and add enhanced ap it drops the nj 2k rebate off the “cash” price section

2/3 order MYLR
2/4 changed to MYP
VIN 2/26
est delivery date 3/14 - 3/20

Do they give you any updates between Vin and schedule delivery date. I have never spoke to a SA or anyone, I don't want to start now. I thought I read you get a update when in Transit.

I want to sell my car to carmax or carvana, trying to figure out a timeline for the 7 day offer. I doubt my financing will come through in time, Ill be forced to use Tesla's, I have a 843 fico 9 I should be able to refi at 3% or less. If not, I will pay the loan off before the 1st month. I don't roll w/ 5.33% loans.
In New York, if you sell the car to Tesla, you save a big amount on tax. Figure the cost of the new car is reduced by the amount on the trade in and you only pay sales tax on the difference! Make the offer from Tesla MUCH more attractive. I also confirmed this with my SA.

In New York, if you sell the car to Tesla, you save a big amount on tax. Figure the cost of the new car is reduced by the amount on the trade in and you only pay sales tax on the difference! Make the offer from Tesla MUCH more attractive. I also confirmed this with my SA.
I’m aware of this and factored it in. Tesla offered me 14.2k and I can sell it to vroom, carmax or kbb for 17.5k. Almost 2k more selling on my own.

This is true for all trade-ins for all car dealers. However for NJ, there is no sales tax on EVs, so there is no offsetting sales tax on trade-Ins. So makes sense to sell to 3rd party In NJ

The Springfield location never picks up their phone. How are we supposed to speak to someone? They text back 24/48 hours later
Ha, do what I did when I was on a test drive and got stuck. The rep did not give the credit card key for the vehicle and I didn't know putting it in park basically shut it off, and I couldn't restart it. I was trying to call the store and was on hold for 15+ minutes all while sitting by the side of the road. Eventually I called the clothing store next to the Tesla place and asked the girl there if she could kindly poke her head in there and tell the guy to call me.

This is true for all trade-ins for all car dealers. However for NJ, there is no sales tax on EVs, so there is no offsetting sales tax on trade-Ins. So makes sense to sell to 3rd party In NJ
no way, 3rd party wanted to give me $2500 for my 2015 Prius with 167k miles and Tesla gave me $6,400 with. the pics I sent them and gave me a instant offer within 20 min & once I took the offer, they instantly took the $6,400 off my balance without checking or inspection of vehicle.

Quick question on the $2k NJ Rebate for the Y.

The below site mentions applying for the incentive at the point-of-sale and that "Your dealer will submit the application on your behalf and the incentive will instantly be applied to the cost of your new vehicle."

Anyone have any experience with that rebate?

Clean Energy Rebate
I picked up the car on Friday the 24th, and received the form for the NJ rebate by e-mail yesterday afternoon. I signed it and sent it back with a copy of my DL, so hopefully that will cement all the rebates and credits. There is a generous time limit for returning it, but if you are not prompt, you risk losing the rebate and will get a bill from Tesla for the $2000 credit they already posted to your account.

I already adjusted my FIT withholding to account for the effect of the tax credit.

Prob just coincidence but I messaged the number Tesla used to confirm financing and got an update on my edd today. Plus 3 days
Bergen county
MYP pearl white standard options
OD: 2/7
EDD1: Feb - March
EDD2: Mar 15 - Mar 31
EDD3: 2/28 1/18-3/31
Delivery center: Paramus NJ
Vin: waiting

First update since initial order. Now the status says Delivery timing will be available soon from original 2/23-3/23 EDD. There's no more dates, just text. I'm not sure if this is a good thing.
Ordered base white MYSR from inventory on 2/11.