Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are really off base if you think trying (testing) launch control or depressing the go pedal could result in voiding your warranty. Tesla is advertising the P100DL as the quickest car you can buy. If that is not encouraging "testing" by someone I don't know what is. Off roading seems to me is taking the car off paved roads where there are potholes, etc. Tesla has willingly replaced many, many drive units. Tesla drivetrain is guaranteed for 8 years. A few 1/4 mile passes should not be a problem. Besides you are always complaining that not enough people have tried to run the impossible 10.9 and now I think you are discouraging it.

I'm not talking polygraphs. But ""anise " is open to interpretation.

Let me ask you something.

If you bust something "testing" your vehicle, should the manufacturer be required to pay for it?

Should the manufacturer sponsor your "testing" efforts?

How about your "testing and tuning" efforts, even if the "tuning" part of it is just refining your launch techniques.

You want to "test" your vehicle, they can in turn argue "fine, go ahead and test away. But you'll do it on your own dime. We aren't going to make ourselves vulnerable for covering the effects, cumulative or immediate, of your testing efforts"

No offense, but I don't know how much experience you have with this sort of thing, but from your statement above, I'm going to guess that it isn't a whole lot.

Do you recall the Subaru matter?

You Break it, You Buy it: Whether abuse or autocrossing, most automakers are not covering it

Don't think for on minute that an auto manufacturer can't come at your warranty if it's discovered that your car is being tracked.

But tippy, while we are having this discussion take a look:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Model_S_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_201602_en_NA.pdf

"Warranty Limitations

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:

• Failure to take the vehicle to a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility upon discovery of a defect covered by this New Vehicle Limited Warranty;

• Accidents, collisions, or objects striking the vehicle;

• Any repair, alteration or modification of the vehicle, or the installation or use of fluids, parts or

accessories, made by a person or facility not authorized or certified to do so;

• Improper repair or maintenance, including use of fluids, parts or accessories other than those

specified in your owner documentation;

• Towing the vehicle;

• Improper winch procedures;

• Theft, vandalism, or riot;

• Fire, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, lightning, hail, flood, or deep water;

• Driving the vehicle off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including

but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed;

• Overloading the vehicle;

• Using the vehicle as a stationary power source; and

• The environment or an act of God, including, but not limited to, exposure to sunlight, airborne

chemicals, tree sap, animal or insect droppings, road debris (including stone chips), industry fallout, rail dust, salt, hail, floods, wind storms, acid rain, fire, water, contamination, lightning and other environmental conditions.
That part in bold above, gives them a lot of leeway.

Try and tell them that you weren't "racing" if you are funning a timed event. Which is what a quarter mile pass is, a timed event. Doesn't matter if another car was lined up aside from you in the other lane. it can be argued that you were matching times against another opponent's previous time. Let us know how you come out

Damn, you live in a frightening world. Do you ever go outside? This is why there is fix on fail. They know people are loath to stand up for what is right. If your car is not performing as promised take it in for repair. If they can't or wont fix it ask for compensation. If they wont compensate you, you have to decide whether to do business with them in the future. Then it's fair game to come here and bitch about it so that others can learn from your experience and decide for themselves whether to do business with them.

If your car breaks from doing a quarter mile run, it's seriously defective. It certainly should have been designed to do that since getting on the autobahn can require even more.

Last edited:
Damn, you live in a frightening world. Do you ever go outside? This is why there is fix on fail. They know people are loath to stand up for what is right. If your car is not performing as promised take it in for repair. If they can't or wont fix it ask for compensation. If they wont compensate you, you have to decide whether to do business with them in the future.

If your car breaks from doing a quarter mile run, it's seriously defective. It certainly should have been designed to do that since getting on the autobahn can require even more.
You are describing a traditional automotive company that is used to adversarial relationships with their customers I never used to think of Tesla like that Secondly fix on fail doesn't apply to a product that they know will "fail" before you ever buy it IMHO.

So now we aren't allowed to test our own vehicles or we'll be polygraphed and reported to the authorities. Come on. If tesla offers a warranty, they have to show that something you did damaged the car to be able to refuse repair. Taking your car to a drag strip to safely test it off of public roads is not racing. It's no different than merging in with traffic. They're saying that if you're using your car every weekend in rally races they are not going to cover your damages.
^^^ this - why, who is saying otherwise? That would be ridiculous.

You are describing a traditional automotive company that is used to adversarial relationships with their customers I never used to think of Tesla like that Secondly fix on fail doesn't apply to a product that they know will "fail" before you ever buy it IMHO.
Perhaps I should have said fix on report of failure. This is the understood meaning of the phrase.

You are really off base if you think trying (testing) launch control or depressing the go pedal could result in voiding your warranty. Tesla is advertising the P100DL as the quickest car you can buy. If that is not encouraging "testing" by someone I don't know what is. Off roading seems to me is taking the car off paved roads where there are potholes, etc. Tesla has willingly replaced many, many drive units. Tesla drivetrain is guaranteed for 8 years. A few 1/4 mile passes should not be a problem. Besides you are always complaining that not enough people have tried to run the impossible 10.9 and now I think you are discouraging it.

Amazing.

Don't be offended here man, but are you really that gullible?????

Chevrolet has hassled many a Z06 owner, myself included, for track related failures, or failures deemed to have been track related.

I'm talking lost motors, etc.

Ford has done the same with the SVT Cobras all the way back to 2003.

I'm not "discouraging" a damn thing.

I'm merely trying to inform others in here, who don't know, that if you are attempting to run record times in your street vehicle, that the manufacturer can, and often times will, not cover you in the event of an issue which they deem to be track related.

Damn, you live in a frightening world. Do you ever go outside? This is why there is fix on fail. They know people are loath to stand up for what is right. If your car is not performing as promised take it in for repair. If they can't or wont fix it ask for compensation. If they wont compensate you, you have to decide whether to do business with them in the future. Then it's fair game to come here and bitch about it so that others can learn from your experience and decide for themselves whether to do business with them.

I don't think I've ever seen such ignorance and inexperience in one place when it comes to this sort of matter.

WOW.

It does not matter how they advertise the car. If you are concerned about your warranty, and they determine that you are tracking the car, then you very well could have warranty issues.

I speak here from experience after having suffered a mechanical failure on a track.

I don't think that a single one of you realizes, that should they decide to give you a hassle about tracking your car and a related failure, that your car will sit right where it is, unprepared, while you fight them over a warranty repair.

And if you elect to fight them, it could take months to come to a resolution, and that resolution might not work in your favor.

Amazing that some of you are clearly ignorant of that.

But please, don't take my word for it.

Break something on a racing surface and take it in for warranty repair, or better yet, leave any tell tale traces of the car having been tracked and take it in for warranty service to repair what is considered a track related failure, and see how you come out.

Damn.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen such as what happens in here. Some of you guys clearly don't know a *********m thing when it comes to tracking a street car, which is within it's warranty period, on a racing surface and all of the stipulations which go along with that.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NSX1992
Perhaps I should have said fix on report of failure. This is the understood meaning of the phrase.
I see the nuance in fixing the phrase but that doesn't change the fact that there was a truth in advertising issue that they acknowledged by putting in the "option" language later and then ultimately removing the quarter mile spec altogether. Besides I gave you my rated range loss example earlier. They admitted it was a problem in writing but have since denied they would fix it. That tells me that even if you report it, Tesla has decided to force its customers to invoke the Lemon Law or sue them in effect making the resolution that much more difficult and adversarial.

It is clear to me, that you have never been in a warranty battle with an auto manufacturer over a warranty issue in a sports car which suffered a track related failure.

Either that, or you're crazy.

Furthermore, it's clear to me that you have never witnessed a track related accident in a street vehicle which turned into a total loss of the vehicle which was not covered by insurance.

Amazing.

Don't be offended here man, but are you really that gullible?????

Chevrolet has hassled many a Z06 owner, myself included, for track related failures, or failures deemed to have been track related.

I'm talking lost motors, etc.

Ford has done the same with the SVT Cobras all the way back to 2003.

I'm not "discouraging" a damn thing.

I'm merely trying to inform others in here, who don't know, that if you are attempting to run record times in your street vehicle, that the manufacturer can, and often times will, not cover you in the event of an issue which they deem to be track related.

I don't think I've ever seen such ignorance and inexperience in one place when it comes to this sort of matter.

WOW.

It does not matter how they advertise the car. If you are concerned about your warranty, and they determine that you are tracking the car, then you very well could have warranty issues.

I speak here from experience after having suffered a mechanical failure on a track.

I don't think that a single one of you realizes, that should they decide to give you a hassle about tracking your car and a related failure, that your car will sit right where it is, unprepared, while you fight them over a warranty repair.

And if you elect to fight them, it could take months to come to a resolution, and that resolution might not work in your favor.

Amazing that some of you are clearly ignorant of that.

But please, don't take my word for it.

Break something on a racing surface and take it in for warranty repair, or better yet, leave any tell tale traces of the car having been tracked and take it in for warranty service to repair what is considered a track related failure, and see how you come out.

Damn.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen such as what happens in here. Some of you guys clearly don't know a *********m thing when it comes to tracking a street car, which is within it's warranty period, on a racing surface and all of the stipulations which go along with that.
Were you exceeding their recommendations on repeated or extended launches? Were you doing something the car was not designed to do?
Did the warranty mention that it was void if I drive on a track at 30 mph. I must have missed that. No. Off-road means driving in areas that have no road or pavement.

All of the sudden you've become very cautious when it comes to confrontations with manufacturers after recommending that everyone else go at it.

I see the nuance in fixing the phrase but that doesn't change the fact that there was a truth in advertising issue that they acknowledged by putting in the "option" language later and then ultimately removing the quarter mile spec altogether. Besides I gave you my rated range loss example earlier. They admitted it was a problem in writing but have since denied they would fix it. That tells me that even if you report it, Tesla has decided to force its customers to invoke the Lemon Law or sue them in effect making the resolution that much more difficult and adversarial.
I agree with your conclusion. When I was put in a similar situation with Mercedes, I decided that it was best that we part ways. I know these cars are compelling, but something like this spoils the experience. If you just have to have a tesla, all you can do is let others know about your experience and learn to like sand.

I have and won....

Furthermore, Tesla appears to like the performance related videos and racing on the track, some of mine are listed on Tesla's internal intranet training site... and have been tweeted by Elon and Tesla on multiple occasions.

It is clear to me, that you have never been in a warranty battle with an auto manufacturer over a warranty issue in a sports car which suffered a track related failure.

Were you exceeding their recommendations on repeated or extended launches? Were you doing something the car was not designed to do?
Did the warranty mention that it was void if I drive on a track at 30 mph. I must have missed that. No. Off-road means driving in areas that have no road or pavement.

All of the sudden you've become very cautious when it comes to confrontations with manufacturers after recommending that everyone else go at it.

You keep digging a deeper hole for yourself and continually confirming that you have absolutely no experience in dealing with a warranty matter in a sports car with a track related failure.

First off, damage can be evaluated to give an idea as to how it occurred. So your 30mph statement is ridiculous not only from the standpoint that no one goes to a track to drive 30mph, but also from the standpoint that driving to extremes, yes, that type of driving which occurs on racing surfaces, is the type which results in certain types of failures which aren't commonly seen in cars driven by grandma.

Secondly, in my case, I had the option, I could either tow it home and then to the dealership, or I could have it towed straight to the dealership.

I chose the latter as the former offered me no advantage anyway.

But that brings me to another point. Should one suffer a catastrophic failure in this car, Tesla has the actual ability to determine where exactly it occurred, and the parameters under which the car was running when it occurred.

Like I said, I don't believe that you have any experience in facing off with an auto manufacturer over a warranty repair for a track related matter.

I do.

This is exactly why there is a Lemmon Law in place to protect buyers. If you don't use it, then don't complain about your car.

So far as I can tell Tesla has settled most legal actions that have been brought against it with one big one pending in Norway.

Either that, or you're crazy.

Furthermore, it's clear to me that you have never witnessed a track related accident in a street vehicle which turned into a total loss of the vehicle which was not covered by insurance.

This isn't a track related failure. It's a lack of stated performance. The run at the drag strip isn't causing a failure. It's revealing a manufacturing failure.

I'm not talking about any kind of damage that is a result of racing at the track.

I have and won....

Furthermore, Tesla appears to like the performance related videos and racing on the track, some of mine are listed on Tesla's internal intranet training site... and have been tweeted by Elon and Tesla on multiple occasions.

Fortunately, in my case I "won" too.

It took a while, and my car sat unprepared while I fought with no assurance of winning, but ultimately I "won" too.

But there were others with the same type failure I had and other types of failures who didn't.

And my winning, nor yours, is any guarantee or assurance that the next person will win. Especially against a fledgling company like Tesla.

First off, damage can be evaluated to give an idea as to how it occurred. So your 30mph statement is ridiculous not only from the standpoint that no one goes to a track to drive 30mph, but also from the standpoint that driving to extremes, yes, that type of driving which occurs on racing surfaces, is the type which results in certain types of failures which aren't commonly seen in cars driven by grandma.

This is exactly the point. It's not where the driving takes place, but if you are subjecting the car to things it wasn't design to handle. There is nothing about a quarter mile run that subjects the car to things it wasn't designed to handle. Now if you go on the circuit and are constantly racing, that's a different story.

This isn't a track related failure. It's a lack of stated performance. The run at the drag strip isn't causing a failure. It's revealing a manufacturing failure.

I'm not talking about any kind of damage that is a result of racing at the track.

You still aren't following me.

Let me educate you so that you and others will know.

If they KNOW that you are putting that car on a track, then they do not have to WAIT until you bust something before they flag your warranty.

They can flag your warranty, and later should you have a mishap, attempt to attribute it to your tracking.

Your warranty, while certainly not the same, works in some ways like an insurance policy.

I have seen a case where a guy called up Geico, and asked them if his car would be covered for an HPDE, which is an untimed track event.

Geico promptly cancelled him. Figuring that they did not want to assume the risk of him suffering a crash on the track, and then fraudulently claiming that it occurred on the street.

This would mean that they would have to investigate, and it was simply not worth the hassle to them.

Cancelled him just for ASKING if he would be covered. Figuring that he either was going to go to the track anyway, or had already gone, and decided that he wasn't worth their risk.

How does that relate to your warranty? Did you read the article I linked to in my earlier post?

The manufacturer knows, that if you are tracking your car, then you have put them at increased risk of having to cover a warranty repair on that car for a mechanical failure.

If they know that you are tracking it, and it should fail, then if your warranty has been flagged, you can look for them to stall, and depending upon manufacturer, could deny your repair.

Are there any Nissan GT-R owners here? Any of them want to talk about the transmission issue in the early versions of those cars?

Last edited:
This is exactly the point. It's not where the driving takes place, but if you are subjecting the car to things it wasn't design to handle. There is nothing about a quarter mile run that subjects the car to things it wasn't designed to handle. Now if you go on the circuit and are constantly racing, that's a different story.

Again, your lack of experience in this type of matter is obvious.

Should you bust something making a quarter mile pass, and they have the capability of knowing where and when the mishap occurred, what do you think that they have the option to do while you are arguing "There is nothing about a quarter mile run that subjects the car to things it wasn't designed to handle."???

That's right, they have a very real option to STALL, for months if they decide to, claim that the issue occurred as a result of abuse and not during normal driving, and should they decide to do that, you have either legal recourse or the option to have it repaired out of pocket.

They are holding all of the cards when it comes to a warranty repair, ESPECIALLY a questionable warranty repair.

Fortunately, in my case I "won" too.

It took a while, and my car sat unprepared while I fought with no assurance of winning, but ultimately I "won" too.

But there were others with the same type failure I had and other types of failures who didn't.

And my winning, nor yours, is any guarantee or assurance that the next person will win. Especially against a fledgling company like Tesla.
WTF. You are telling people not to try because they might not win. You guys had actual failures at the track and got repairs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.