Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF. You are telling people not to try because they might not win.

You don't have to wonder WTF.

I'll tell you, yes, TF, I'm telling people that if they suffer a mishap on a racing surface and subsequently seek a warranty repair in behind it that they might now win.

Some need to know that.

Read the article Tippy.

The guy's warranty was flagged, and his powertrain warranty was shot before he even suffered his mishap which caused him to seek warranty coverage in the first place.

Why? Because they %$#*&^g knew that he was tracking the car long before it failed.

You Break it, You Buy it: Whether abuse or autocrossing, most automakers are not covering it

Don't put it on the track unless you are prepared to repair or replace it out of pocket.

Last edited:
I had 3 GTRs including the original 2009, my friend was the one who brought the class action against Nissan and won. I launched all of mine, no issues...

Do you know of anyone who had to have a transmission replaced under warranty as a result of track launches with one?

I'm taking that this was the class action suit you're describing.

Would you be a little more specific about what brought that case about?

The Nissan was being advertised as being track ready too if I recall correctly, was it not.

But still people had to sue because mishaps weren't being covered, right?

But of extreme interest, How long did it take to settle? What did the class get?

WTF. You are telling people not to try because they might not win. You guys had actual failures at the track and got repairs.
Tippy, the guy you are arguing with is a narcissist and looking for attention. It doesn't make sense to feed his problem. It's not good for him and you'll just be wasting your time. Just "ignore" him as many of us have. It's a much better experience, trust me.

Reactions: NSX1992
Looks like they got $75.00

REPORT: Nissan GT-R class action suit over transmission failures settled

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

Looks like the original plaintiff got his $25K back which was his out of pocket cost for having to replace his own transmission, plus $1500.00 for his trouble, and 5 k for bringing the suit.

From the looks of it, it took at least a year to sort it all out and had he not gone ahead and fixed his own car, it would have been down the entire time.

Last edited:
Tippy, the guy you are arguing with is a narcissist and looking for attention. It doesn't make sense to feed his problem. It's not good for him and you'll just be wasting your time. Just "ignore" him as many of us have. It's a much better experience, trust me.

And tippy the guy telling you that is a narcissist who wants everyone to follow him with his eyes and ears closed. And when they don't, he begs them to just as he is doing here.

• Disagree
Reactions: NSX1992
If your car breaks from doing a quarter mile run, it's seriously defective. It certainly should have been designed to do that since getting on the autobahn can require even more.

This really is curious.

So it is your position that if someone has a car break while making a quarter mile pass, that the car must be seriously defective?

Racing tends to break things. And they don't necessarily have to be defective".

This is exactly why there is a Lemmon Law in place to protect buyers. If you don't use it, then don't complain about your car.

So far as I can tell Tesla has settled most legal actions that have been brought against it with one big one pending in Norway.

I'd love to see someone try and Lemon Law their P90D with Ludicrous because they can't run 10.9 on a drag strip in it.

I'd pay to sit in that courtroom.

The guy's warranty was flagged,
For registering to race.

And I have had Mercedes try to deny warranty repairs for off-roading my GL. One of the rear wheels sensors went out, so every time I got up to about 40mph it would slam on the break on the opposite side. This would cause the car to pitch forward, suddenly turn in this direction and slide down the road sideways. The forces were much greater than just driving off road would have been. When they read the data out of the ecu's, it looked like to them that I had been having a good time off road. When I explained to them what happened, they made the repairs under warranty.

For registering to race.

When you sign the sheet on the clipboard at your local drag strip, just before you go through the gate, what do you think that you are "registering" to do?

You know, the sheet absolving them of any liability should you kill yourself or have any other mishap.

Anyone in here is free to take this advice or leave it.

If you are running your car on a racing surface, whether you are "racing" it or not, you could very easily find yourself on the hook for any damage sustained to it while there, or even after there if the manufacturer wants to be hard core about it.

When you sign the sheet on the clipboard at your local drag strip, just before you go through the gate, what do you think that you are "registering" to do?

You know, the sheet absolving them of any liability should you kill yourself or have any other mishap.

Anyone in here is free to take this advice or leave it.

If you are running your car on a racing surface, whether you are "racing" it or not, you could very easily find yourself on the hook for any damage sustained to it while there, or even after there if the manufacturer wants to be hard core about it.
That's a waiver of liability.

Who's racing? I took my car to the strip to test the advertised performance. If it breaks down the first time I accelerate for a quarter of a mile, then, yeah, it's seriously defective.

I sincerely hope that you get the chance to argue this should you suffer a mishap that they know occurred on the track.

You want to argue you weren't "racing" you were just running "time trials"?

Go ahead.

When or if they refuse a subsequent warranty repair, then you can spend a few months and a few dollars making that argument before they decided to get to repairing your car.

I ain't the one you'll have to convince.

It's the manufacturer, and if not them, then its a court.

Good luck.

That's a waiver of liability.

A waiver of liability while you're doing what?

Like I said, if they discover that your mishap happened on a track, or deem it as a track related mishap, and attempt to deny you warranty coverage based on that, indeed should they flat out refuse to make a warranty repair afterwards, well then again, I ain't the one you'll need to convince that you weren't "racing", but only "testing" instead. :D

BTW, where in your warranty coverage do they state that they will cover repairs for damage sustained during high speed "testing"? :D

Last edited:
A waiver of liability while you're doing what?
Testing the advertised performance of my car off of the public streets. I didn't register to compete in brackets.

If they check the logs and see I'm there every weekend doing multiple runs during the racing season, they might refuse repair contrary to your experience. If the logs show I went there once and the car broke down and they refused repair, what a s**ty company. Back to BMW. The i8 looks like a nice car.

Last edited:
I know I will be called stupid besides gullible. But I tell the service technicians and their managers while I am charging that I am going drag racing and tell them my previous times. When I had Ludicrous installed I told the Service Manager my times before and after the installation. I even tell my original salesman my progress. Not once was I ever cautioned that if I break something it would not be covered. In almost 2 years and 22,000 miles nothing has broken except one door handle that would not extend.

I can understand a manufacturer not warranting a car used in racing but whether a Tesla accelerates from a stop sign or timing lights is a different situation. The engine (motor) cannot throw a rod, break the transmission or clutch, etc., so the risk is much smaller. At last Saturdays drag race in Fontana there were hundreds of owners willing to take the risk. As a side note a new Camaro challenged me to a race. He did 13.0 to my 11.5 and of course he was embarrassed but he knew it was coming.

yes, I am very familiar with the suit and am referenced in the Jalopnik article... Nissan also covered all the legal fees. He fixed his trans early on and was paid later. His car now run in the 7's in the 1/4 mile...

wheel hop was the main cause for the trans failures, here is the original LC1, warranty voiding launch:

why was the GT-R launch issues brought up here? you didn't know the consumers won?

Looks like they got $75.00

REPORT: Nissan GT-R class action suit over transmission failures settled

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

Looks like the original plaintiff got his $25K back which was his out of pocket cost for having to replace his own transmission, plus $1500.00 for his trouble, and 5 k for bringing the suit.

From the looks of it, it took at least a year to sort it all out and had he not gone ahead and fixed his own car, it would have been down the entire time.

yes, I am very familiar with the suit and am referenced in the Jalopnik article... Nissan also covered all the legal fees. He fixed his trans early on and was paid later. His car now run in the 7's in the 1/4 mile...

wheel hop was the main cause for the trans failures, here is the original LC1, warranty voiding launch:

why was the GT-R launch issues brought up here? you didn't know the consumers won?

My recollection was that the consumers had ultimately won in a class action lawsuit , but I also recall Nissan's stubbornness when it came to covering the failures and their denying warranty coverage when the failures were initially described.

The point in bringing it up was to demonstrate that manufacturers can and have denied warranty coverage at their discretion.

And that it could take drawn out legal action to even begin to square things.

Status
Not open for further replies.