Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. That's what I said /s. But let's not drop into internet rage arguments. It seems you are upset about this and I'm really not interested in and emotional discussion here. I'f you would like civilized discourse we can continue.

I agree. No point breaking down the discussion. We can be pragmatic about it.

I think the relevant competitors in terms of performance claims to a p90dl would be e63, m5, rs6, xfrs. It should be easy to find claims vs actual. Where there are references to Ferrari or other exotics ... This would be less relevant.

Alex

Picked up my new P90DL on Sunday, 6/26. I'll try to get some measurements.
My battery is # 1088792-00-A. Is there enough data yet to guess if that's a "new-better" battery or one of the suspected "newer-notBetter" packs?

Also, for those of us new to this... what EXACTLY should we do with PowerTools? get to 90% SoC and MaxBat ready mode and then drive around with it in Tracking mode and do some 0-60, 0-180, 30-80 runs? drive around mashing the petal as often/long as we can?
Not a joking question... would be great if someone can post a little guide to how to set powertools and what kind of driving runs should be done/recorded.

thanks,
-josh

Reactions: ggnykk
uhh...Yeah, they do. All the time. Racers need to know this information in order to be competitive and posers use it as an excuse for why they suck at the track. There are several websites that even help calculate these corrections(Let me google that for you). I'm not sure you are aware of just how impactful heat, humidity and air pressure affect the performance of an ICE.

Geez. I know da calculations very well. I was trying to tell you that on the drag strip (unlike the forums) you can use the da calculations as a tool but you cannot claim that you would may potentially have ran a 10 because the calculator said so.

The good thing is that these ice have an option to use the calculators as a tool but also go to the track with preferable conditions and run said/calculated 10.

Where do we go to run advertised (tesla) or potentially corrected (motortrend) 10?

Alex

Reactions: St Charles
Jo
Picked up my new P90DL on Sunday, 6/26. I'll try to get some measurements.
My battery is # 1088792-00-A. Is there enough data yet to guess if that's a "new-better" battery or one of the suspected "newer-notBetter" packs?

Also, for those of us new to this... what EXACTLY should we do with PowerTools? get to 90% SoC and MaxBat ready mode and then drive around with it in Tracking mode and do some 0-60, 0-180, 30-80 runs? drive around mashing the petal as often/long as we can?
Not a joking question... would be great if someone can post a little guide to how to set powertools and what kind of driving runs should be done/recorded.

thanks,
-josh

Josh that battery has logged 511kw previously (the highest)

There is a spreadsheet listed earlier where you can see /log that.

You would get the best read out at around 92-95 soc with max batt on and "ready". You only need to accelerate from 0 to 100mph and you will get a reliable readout. The more frequently you do it the lower it will get due to batt charge and heat build up but it would be good to see numbers at lower (50, 60, 70, 80) soc.

Alex

T
Thanks Alex. Got powertools and will try to add some data.

You just start powertools into "tracker" mode and do runs? (As opposed to the "0-60 timer" mode?).

I used the visible tesla pc app on my "older" battery which is the same principle as PowerTools on the phone. For the record, I got a 50kw lower (and downright pedestrian ;) 456kw@-90%SOC Max Ready.

I am not sure of the PowerTools option but I suspect tracker is the correct mode. I have seen screen shots with max power shown on the bottom.

Just to put all of this in perspective, the “top of the line” Model S back when I purchased mine in August 2013 was the P85+. It was marketed as 416 HP/301 kW at the time. So I should be happy that PowerTools today says I’m capable of a sustained 455HP/340kW at 88% SOC. But sheesh that looks weak when compared to the current 450-500kW you guys are discussing. I don’t think the lay public understands just how much more powerful the Model S has become over the last 3 years. Guess it’s time for an upgrade!

FullSizeRender.jpg

@JoshG Here's what I do when logging with PowerTools. Someone can correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Note: It is recommended that the car be in motion during app startup to speed up the connection and startup time. Also, make sure you are not on your wifi network if you are near your home or office, etc. because if you start while on that network, once it disconnects from the network that session will be automatically terminated.

1. Start the PowerTools app and make sure it's on the "Run" tab in the lower-left
2. Click the Start button in the upper-left
3. Select Vehicle Tracker (highlighted below) from the pop-up menu

Note: The 0-60 mph Timer just allows you to time one 0-60 run and it automatically begins once you come to a stop (0 mph) and the session automatically ends once you pass 60 mph. This mode has been flakey for me. I have a question in to the developer. I'm having some date/time stamp anomalies which might be causing my issues.

PowerTools App.jpg

Once Vehicle Tracker has started it will log speed, power, elevation, SOC, odometer, range, and heading. On the screen above, the background of the displays will turn green letting you know it is recording. The top 2 will show the current speed and power and the bottom 2 will show the max speed and power of this session.

I like to start with 100% charge and max battery ready and run various tests like 0-60, 20-80, 40-100, 60-100, etc. You can also try a variation of each of these with max battery off and at various states of charge. I've noticed that I often lose traction when testing 0-60 which hampers my power so if I start from 20 or 30 mph I can actually get a higher power output. Some also turn off the AC during these tests to maximize power.

Once you are done, just click the Done button in the upper-left (where the Start button was). Then you can go to the Log Files tab at the bottom, select that session, click the "Load for Plotting" button in the upper-left, go to the Plot button at the bottom, select that log and choose the Plot Type (speed, power, etc.) to produce a graph of that session.

Hope that helps. Good luck and be safe!

@JoshG Here's what I do when logging with PowerTools. Someone can correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Note: It is recommended that the car be in motion during app startup to speed up the connection and startup time. Also, make sure you are not on your wifi network if you are near your home or office, etc. because if you start while on that network, once it disconnects from the network that session will be automatically terminated.

1. Start the PowerTools app and make sure it's on the "Run" tab in the lower-left
2. Click the Start button in the upper-left
3. Select Vehicle Tracker (highlighted below) from the pop-up menu

Note: The 0-60 mph Timer just allows you to time one 0-60 run and it automatically begins once you come to a stop (0 mph) and the session automatically ends once you pass 60 mph. This mode has been flakey for me. I have a question in to the developer. I'm having some date/time stamp anomalies which might be causing my issues.

View attachment 183081

Once Vehicle Tracker has started it will log speed, power, elevation, SOC, odometer, range, and heading. On the screen above, the background of the displays will turn green letting you know it is recording. The top 2 will show the current speed and power and the bottom 2 will show the max speed and power of this session.

I like to start with 100% charge and max battery ready and run various tests like 0-60, 20-80, 40-100, 60-100, etc. You can also try a variation of each of these with max battery off and at various states of charge. I've noticed that I often lose traction when testing 0-60 which hampers my power so if I start from 20 or 30 mph I can actually get a higher power output. Some also turn off the AC during these tests to maximize power.

Once you are done, just click the Done button in the upper-left (where the Start button was). Then you can go to the Log Files tab at the bottom, select that session, click the "Load for Plotting" button in the upper-left, go to the Plot button at the bottom, select that log and choose the Plot Type (speed, power, etc.) to produce a graph of that session.

Hope that helps. Good luck and be safe!
My biggest problem is finding a safe road to do this.

Geez. I know da calculations very well. I was trying to tell you that on the drag strip (unlike the forums) you can use the da calculations as a tool but you cannot claim that you would may potentially have ran a 10 because the calculator said so.

The good thing is that these ice have an option to use the calculators as a tool but also go to the track with preferable conditions and run said/calculated 10.

Where do we go to run advertised (tesla) or potentially corrected (motortrend) 10?

Alex

You are right. I went back and re-read our conversation and I realized I did not get your point correctly. That's on me.

That said, I really don't believe we can reproduce the conditions that MotorTrend uses. They admit that they use a proprietary setup at their own location. I believe the problem here is that we will never be able to reproduce those conditions and as such, we cannot ever verify their claims. But, like you said, it's worse with ICE cars because they have to worry about all the atmospheric problems we get to generally ignore. In fact, I am hoping it's really hot on Friday so that the track will be stickier for my runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.