Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also, for those getting more power, are you waiting for the preheat of the battery to complete? or are you just turning on the maxpower button hitting the go switch? would be silly if we had to wait for preheat to complete, yet still need 100% SoC to get the maximum power of the car...

Yeah, I was thinking of this earlier this morning about the practicalities.

Max battery takes awhile.

Unless they also swap his battery while he's not looking, I strongly suspect fiksegts is going to see exactly the same things after the firmware update as before.

I sure so hope this isn't the case.

I'm hoping that there is an explanation other than just newer builds for what we're seeing in the two examples that we have so far.

Last edited:
After my ludicrous update back in April, I recorded 304 V x 1522 A = 462688 W from the CANbus with my P85D. That was a run with appr. 90 % SOC and just before Max Battery Power was ready.

I have had this recording converted to Bosch format, if someone is interested to have a look. Can be examined and graphed with WinDarab, available on Bosch Motorsport Homepage.

Picked up my refreshed P90DL last Tuesday... Downloaded this today and got a 477KW at 88% SOC on a 0-60 run plan to charge it to 100 and do some further tests! Also before I turned on Max Battery Power I got 457KW at 89% SOC

I take it back. I guess we now have two that have made it way past the mid 450s. So now you should try it again at 95+%. Can you get mid 490s?

It is beginning to sound like all the improvement is in the Max Battery Power setting. Previously this setting appeared to produced the same result as running the car for a while to get the battery up to temp. It now seems to have a much more dramatic effect. If true, the change probably took place around version 2.20.30. Need more testing from non-refreshed P90D owners using the Max Battery Power setting On and SOC above 90%. Also need more testing from refreshed P90D owners with Max Battery Power setting OFF and SOC between 90 and 100%.

Except hat a 457KW without max battery is still WAY more than it was before without max battery.

I sure so hope this isn't the case.

I'm hoping that there is an explanation other than just newer builds for what we're seeing in the two examples that we have so far.
As I've said previously in this thread and people have documented in others...At some point prior to the refresh Tesla introduced a new 90 kWh pack on the 90D with a different Tesla Part Number. This battery has more capacity (higher EPA Rated Range) than the previous 90 kWh pack. Why wouldn't they have done the same thing in the P90D? Doesn't that make the most sense and possibly account for the greater power?

As I've said previously in this thread and people have documented in others...At some point prior to the refresh Tesla introduced a new 90 kWh pack on the 90D with a different Tesla Part Number. This battery has more capacity (higher EPA Rated Range) than the previous 90 kWh pack. Why wouldn't they have done the same thing in the P90D? Doesn't that make the most sense and possibly account for the greater power?

Sure, but the part numbers say "don't use before cars built on April 11", and ShotgunF15E's car was a mid-March build. My car does have a 1063792-00-A battery, so it is the old style (replaced in December as well, before they released any newer ones).

I have run 11.224 @119.00 and 11.275 @ 119.64 in my P85DL. I have tried Launch mode with no improvement therefore I use slip start for best results especially when you are racing against a Z06. I would love to see the P90DL get a promised 10.9 so hopefully the reported improvement in kilowatts will do the trick.
are those numbers from drag strip? I have never seen a P90DL with higher than 118 mph trap speed. These numbers are implying the trap speed of P85DL is higher than P90DL which doesn't make sense.

Sure, but the part numbers say "don't use before cars built on April 11", and ShotgunF15E's car was a mid-March build. My car does have a 1063792-00-A battery, so it is the old style (replaced in December as well, before they released any newer ones).
I'd like to see screenshots of those pack part numbers but in the regular 90D world we were seeing users claiming higher capacity as early as last December/January. One user was showing current EPA capacity on a loaner car built last February/March. It's possible the battery was upgraded before the part number was.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
So the April 11 date that everyone is talking about here, is this the same as the -E and -C newer 90 kwh battery? or are we talking about some other HW or SW changes here?

are those numbers from drag strip? I have never seen a P90DL with higher than 118 mph trap speed. These numbers are implying the trap speed of P85DL is higher than P90DL which doesn't make sense.

This site will keep you current as to some of the top reported elapsed times and trap speeds on a drag strip for many vehicles, the Tesla included.

Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

Up until a couple of days ago, his were the highest trap speeds ever reported on a dragstrip by a Tesla.

As of about three days ago, the current fastest trap speed recorded for a Tesla now belongs to forum member zhur0002.
Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Except hat a 457KW without max battery is still WAY more than it was before without max battery.

The highest recorded for either P90DL or P85DL was 456KW.

Humm. 457KW does not seem WAY more than 456KW

By the way, I just did a run with my non-refreshed P90D without Max Batt Pwr and got 459KW at 90%. With Max Batt Pwr I'm now getting 467KW at 97%. This is with battery #1063792-00-A and software 2.20.30. Before this revision I never achieved anything above 453KW with or without Max Batt Pwr. There is little doubt that Tesla has made the Max Batt Pwr more effective. It appears to be much more effective for the new refreshed Model S.

I'd like to see screenshots of those pack part numbers but in the regular 90D world we were seeing users claiming higher capacity as early as last December/January. One user was showing current EPA capacity on a loaner car built last February/March. It's possible the battery was upgraded before the part number was.

I think that is the most likely explanation.

Humm. 457KW does not seem WAY more than 456KW

By the way, I just did a run with my non-refreshed P90D without Max Batt Pwr and got 459KW at 90%. With Max Batt Pwr I'm now getting 467KW at 97%. This is with battery #1063792-00-A and software 2.20.30. Before this revision I never achieved anything above 453KW with or without Max Batt Pwr. There is little doubt that Tesla has made the Max Batt Pwr more effective. It appears to be much more effective for the new refreshed Model S.

So if you were getting a best of 453KW before with or without Max Battery, and you're now getting 467KW at 97% with Max Battery, seems that you've picked up approximately 14KW.

Doesn't seem like very much of a difference between then and now.

It will be interesting to see if it picks up more power with a more recent software version

The previous best 456K on either P90DL or P85DL was with max battery, not without. The best I've hit at 90% without max battery is 433 unless I have just supercharged then it's in the mid 450s. If I don't supercharge, I need to use max battery to hit mid 450s.

Interesting.

Why do you think this happens?

That is, why are you able to hit mid 450s after you supercharge without Max Battery if you Supercharge, but if you don't Supercharge you need to use Max Battery in order to get to the mid 450s?

Also are the two cars in the 500KW range seeing this after Supercharging, or are they seeing it after charging in some other manner and using Max Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.