Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Tesla state that if you were planning on upgrading to L and you had P85D it would be best to wait to upgrade the battery later, cause the battery technology would be better? Though now you can't ? If you did go to 90 could you now go to 100?

If I had to guess, Tesla had no idea they were going to have to go to such extremes to achieve the originally anticipated performance levels. Elon has said in the past that he may not do things when he says he will but he does do them (paraphrasing of course). Tesla was obviously committed to getting the job done; I think it just required so many hardware changes that supporting updates from earlier cars became impractical. It is similar to the early rear sub-frame which needed to be changed out to accommodate the updated rear suspension and harder bushings. There were a few owners that went for the something like $25K upgrade but most did not. In this instance, I do not think Tesla has the engineering or Service Center bandwidth to consider doing a large scale upgrade plan for so few cars.

Having walked the walk when it comes to technical design and production, I can understand and accept when the ground moves underneath you and you have to adjust on the fly. What does disappoint me is absolutely no acknowledgement or acceptance of the process. An 11.4 is not even in the same ball park as a 10.9.

If I had to guess, Tesla had no idea they were going to have to go to such extremes to achieve the originally anticipated performance levels. Elon has said in the past that he may not do things when he says he will but he does do them (paraphrasing of course). Tesla was obviously committed to getting the job done; I think it just required so many hardware changes that supporting updates from earlier cars became impractical. It is similar to the early rear sub-frame which needed to be changed out to accommodate the updated rear suspension and harder bushings. There were a few owners that went for the something like $25K upgrade but most did not. In this instance, I do not think Tesla has the engineering or Service Center bandwidth to consider doing a large scale upgrade plan for so few cars.

Having walked the walk when it comes to technical design and production, I can understand and accept when the ground moves underneath you and you have to adjust on the fly. What does disappoint me is absolutely no acknowledgement or acceptance of the process. An 11.4 is not even in the same ball park as a 10.9.

While he supposedly can't see this, I'll still respond to it so that othe s can see the response.

No one ever said that 11.4 was in the same ball park as 10.9.

And as for his alluding to the difficulty that Tesla has clearly encountered along the way, well I'll just say this:

The people and the company which encountered that difficulty, deserve better than to be backhandedly called charlatans and deceivers who would deliver ringer cars to magazines in order to perpetrate and propagate thst which some are calling an outright lie from the start.

Tipping our hats to another for their "efforts", and then only at the 11th hour, when we've in "code speak" pretty much accused them of deceit the likes of which only Volkswagen can approach, does not go much in the way of showing any remorse for having effectively accused them of shenanigans.

If I should heap praise on another after bashing the hell out of him just prior, what good is that?

The above, I don't care who ignores it as it would be lost on them anyway.

But those who do see this, know where I stand. And also know that I'm saying what some others in here want to say, but have their own reasons for not saying it.

Last edited:
Walta,
I missed the second part about the 90s. I've read posts where some 90 owners say they can while others say there may be a problem with updating. It seems like Tesla cut in the cooling and wiring mods across the 90D production. Hopefully those owners will chime in here.

my car was not able to be upgraded to a later battery.... 90 or 100....

Walta,
I missed the second part about the 90s. I've read posts where some 90 owners say they can while others say there may be a problem with updating. It seems like Tesla cut in the cooling and wiring mods across the 90D production. Hopefully those owners will chime in here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I don't believe Tesla ever implied or promised a 10.9 on the P85DL. They said 0.2 improvement on the P85D with Ludicous upgrade.

The P85D was promised at 11.8 quarter mile during the launch event in October 2014. 11.8-0.2 = 11.6 seconds promised.
Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60
They did promise a 10.9 for the P90DL then a few months later put in qualifying language about "base model" cars. That was shady particularly for those that ordered one between July and October/November 2015.

stop,
I was working off the do not upgrade to the 90 cause it will be just a tad quicker and not worth the effort comments combined with the P90DL 10.9. I do not remember seeing an 11.8 quoted for the P85D with a .2 increase with L.

It would seem a move from 11.8 to 10.9 would be significant enough to warrant a battery upgrade (as opposed to buying the L option which was what generated the battery upgrade question in the first place).

No matter how you slice it, it is all water under the bridge for me at this point.

Last edited:
What does disappoint me is absolutely no acknowledgement or acceptance of the process.

This.

Mistakes get made. Especially on the bleeding edge.

One of the things about Tesla in the past has been -- at least IMHO -- an ability to privately AND publicly acknowledge error.

Contrast that with companies that obfuscate, deny and outright lie even when they are caught red-handed: I'm looking at you, VW (diesel gate) and you, GM (ignition switch).

Alan

This.

Mistakes get made. Especially on the bleeding edge.

One of the things about Tesla in the past has been -- at least IMHO -- an ability to privately AND publicly acknowledge error.

Contrast that with companies that obfuscate, deny and outright lie even when they are caught red-handed: I'm looking at you, VW (diesel gate) and you, GM (ignition switch).

Alan
Not acknowledging mistakes, obfuscations, denials, lies???? Sounds like one of our current election process.

ZeroMilelsVoltage.png

@St Charles ,
Here you go.
Zero miles left.
Pack voltage 299.43.
Cell voltage 3.12 average. That corresponds to about 4% SOC which as you can see at the bottom left of the plot is the SOC at zero miles.

View attachment 194054
@St Charles ,
Here you go.
Zero miles left.
Pack voltage 299.43.
Cell voltage 3.12 average. That corresponds to about 4% SOC which as you can see at the bottom left of the plot is the SOC at zero miles.
Curious on how you got yours to zero miles zero percent. I had mine down to 2 miles with 1% showing on the bar just by driving but it was nerve racking.

Curious on how you got yours to zero miles zero percent. I had mine down to 2 miles with 1% showing on the bar just by driving but it was nerve racking.
Drove around my neighborhood when it got close to zero miles. Didn't go too far from the house. Hard acceleration and braking to bleed the energy when it got really close. This was just a test for St Charles. He wanted to know if the latest p90dl pack was a 100Kwh pack using the capacity between 10 KwH and 100 Kwh

Last edited:
stop,
I was working off the do not upgrade to the 90 cause it will be just a tad quicker and not worth the effort comments combined with the P90DL 10.9. I do not remember seeing an 11.8 quoted for the P85D with a .2 increase with L.

It would seem a move from 11.8 to 10.9 would be significant enough to warrant a battery upgrade (as opposed to buying the L option which was what generated the battery upgrade question in the first place).

No matter how you slice it, it is all water under the bridge for me at this point.

I'm in the same boat. Was expecting to upgrade my p85D battery at some point.
Now I will just take the big loss and buy the p100.
For anyone reading this and planning on buying a Tesla.
Do not count on ever being able to upgrade despite what anyone tells you.
P85Dee: what do you think about the promise of a 20000 dollar upgrade for early p90d that can't happen?
I am still waiting on a kW user test for the p100 to verify a difference from the P90 battery before I confirm.
Loss of trust for sure.

Drove around my neighborhood when it got close to zero miles. Didn't go too far from the house. Hard acceleration and breaking to bleed the energy when it got really close.
That's pretty much how I did it. In thinking back I had one mile left not two still not as bold as your zero though. How many rated miles did you have in reserve based on the 4%?

Status
Not open for further replies.