Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe Tesla ever implied or promised a 10.9 on the P85DL. They said 0.2 improvement on the P85D with Ludicous upgrade.

The P85D was promised at 11.8 quarter mile during the launch event in October 2014. 11.8-0.2 = 11.6 seconds promised.
Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

Exactly. It was a straw man argument to being with. But you weren't supposed to be swift enough to see it as such.

I'm in the same boat. Was expecting to upgrade my p85D battery at some point.
Now I will just take the big loss and buy the p100.
For anyone reading this and planning on buying a Tesla.
Do not count on ever being able to upgrade despite what anyone tells you.
P85Dee: what do you think about the promise of a 20000 dollar upgrade for early p90d that can't happen?
I am still waiting on a kW user test for the p100 to verify a difference from the P90 battery before I confirm.
Loss of trust for sure.

Since you are addressing me directly, I will respond.

Here's my take on it.

While on the surface it would seem like an unfortunate circumstance.

However, "preventing" someone, making it less than worthwhile for one, or at the least "deterring" one from putting another 20K plus installation, into a depreciating asset, and for a questionable at best improvement in performance, vs having them spend a bit more, if not a similar amount for a newer and upgraded vehicle, might actually be doing them a favor.

Last edited:
They did promise a 10.9 for the P90DL then a few months later put in qualifying language about "base model" cars. That was shady particularly for those that ordered one between July and October/November 2015.
The post I'm responding to however is clearly talking about the upgrade situation for the P85D (thus that 11.4 reference for P85DL), not about P90D v1 (which is at 11.2 with pano roof). P90D v1 is another separate issue.

Reactions: P85DEE
The post I'm responding to however is clearly talking about the upgrade situation for the P85D (thus that 11.4 reference for P85DL), not about P90D v1 (which is at 11.2 with pano roof). P90D v1 is another separate issue.

And he knows that. But he tried to feed you a line of crap.

And now a guy goes out and runs 11.120, which is just a tenth quicker than the 11.220 by Lagomorph shown here, Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com and the backslapping and glad handing; "Tesla is finally, finally, finally coming through" celebration starts.

Go figure.

Last edited:
stop,
I was working off the do not upgrade to the 90 cause it will be just a tad quicker and not worth the effort comments combined with the P90DL 10.9. I do not remember seeing an 11.8 quoted for the P85D with a .2 increase with L.

It would seem a move from 11.8 to 10.9 would be significant enough to warrant a battery upgrade (as opposed to buying the L option which was what generated the battery upgrade question in the first place).

No matter how you slice it, it is all water under the bridge for me at this point.
The 0.2 second 1/4 improvement for the P85D ludicrous was announced to preorder holders in October 2015 (at same time as decrease to $5000) and put on the Tesla order page shortly after (it's still there). That was the only hard 1/4 mile promise Tesla gave for P85DL. The math was never done directly by Tesla, but it's easy to do (11.8-0.2 = 11.6).
This upgrade represents an estimated 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D, provides for an approximate 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time
Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT
Tesla Reduces Price Of Model S P85D Ludicrous Upgrade
I presumed that was common knowledge.

The 11.8 was announced at the P85D event a year earlier as in the Road and Track coverage link. MotorTrend got 11.6 in testing shortly after, but Tesla only officially promised 11.8 (with no promises on trap speed).
2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend

Whether it is a worthwhile upgrade for 11.4 to 10.9 (or 11.2 depending who you ask) is largely opinion by the individual buyer.

I should point out also, I remember Tesla's comments in regards to discouraging upgrade being only about the capacity 85kWh to 90kWh in regards to range increase. I don't believe they ever commented on it in regards to 1/4 mile (feel free to correct me if you have a quote otherwise):
Hence the statement from CEO Musk stating that he “wouldn’t recommend doing so (upgrading to 90 kWh) unless your usage is on the edge of current range.” While adding, “On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference.”
New Tesla Model S Options: 90 kWh Battery, Ludicrous Mode, Cheaper Base Model

I just want to make sure to remind people of the actual promises/comments Tesla/Elon made, rather than going by memory.

I don't believe Tesla ever implied or promised a 10.9 on the P85DL. They said 0.2 improvement on the P85D with Ludicous upgrade. The P85D was promised at 11.8 quarter mile during the launch event in October 2014. 11.8-0.2 = 11.6 seconds promised. Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

The P85D was actually promised at 3.1 to 60 ... specs listed below :cool: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
upload_2016-9-11_20-18-46.png

I didn't know that was available to drive with. I thought it was just held in reserve as anti-bricking no?
Haven't tried it myself, but others have reported driving miles past zero miles. It used to be an issue with the roadster, but I think they have made changes on the S. Didn't the NY times reporter try to brick the car by driving around in circles in a parking lot for a while before finally giving up and plugging in? I was still a little way from my house when the car said zero miles, and it didn't shut down immediately. The SOC was 3.9 when I got to my house, not 4.0.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it myself, but others have reported driving miles past zero miles. It used to be an issue with the roadster, but I think they have made changes on the S. Didn't the NY times reporter try to brick the car by driving around in circles in a parking lot for a while before finally giving up and plugging in? I was still a little way from my house when the car said zero miles, and it didn't shut down immediately. The SOC was 3.9 when I got to my house, not 4.0.
I didn't know about the person driving around but when I did a full charge after driving down to 1 mile my Remote S app said I added 81 kWh so if I add in the 1 mile I started with that would give me a little over 84 kWh total available which if you consider I have a non-P 90D is pretty close to your numbers. I've always thought that was reserved for anti-bricking but who knows.

The 0.2 second 1/4 improvement for the P85D ludicrous was announced to preorder holders in October 2015 (at same time as decrease to $5000) and put on the Tesla order page shortly after (it's still there). That was the only hard 1/4 mile promise Tesla gave for P85DL. The math was never done directly by Tesla, but it's easy to do (11.8-0.2 = 11.6).

Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT
Tesla Reduces Price Of Model S P85D Ludicrous Upgrade
I presumed that was common knowledge.

The 11.8 was announced at the P85D event a year earlier as in the Road and Track coverage link. MotorTrend got 11.6 in testing shortly after, but Tesla only officially promised 11.8 (with no promises on trap speed).
2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend

Whether it is a worthwhile upgrade for 11.4 to 10.9 (or 11.2 depending who you ask) is largely opinion by the individual buyer.

I should point out also, I remember Tesla's comments in regards to discouraging upgrade being only about the capacity 85kWh to 90kWh in regards to range increase. I don't believe they ever commented on it in regards to 1/4 mile (feel free to correct me if you have a quote otherwise):

New Tesla Model S Options: 90 kWh Battery, Ludicrous Mode, Cheaper Base Model

I just want to make sure to remind people of the actual promises/comments Tesla/Elon made, rather than going by memory.
Good info. Thanks.
Regarding the P85DL owners not being able to upgrade to 100kw is surprising. With that thought, I am (P90DL V1) planning on staying with what I have ( hopefully they fix the range issue ) until I need a new battery. The expectation being that when I buy a future battery option, it will be a better version 90kw - but not require a huge retrofit cost. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace your 85kw or 90kw straight up?
At the moment there are VERY few cars on the road that the P90DL cannot beat 0-60 which is where I live. Racing above those speeds is only going to get me arrested. I do not see a good return on investment going to 100kw for $20K .

Reactions: jerjozwik
I'm in the same boat. Was expecting to upgrade my p85D battery at some point.
Now I will just take the big loss and buy the p100.
For anyone reading this and planning on buying a Tesla.
Do not count on ever being able to upgrade despite what anyone tells you.
P85Dee: what do you think about the promise of a 20000 dollar upgrade for early p90d that can't happen?
I am still waiting on a kW user test for the p100 to verify a difference from the P90 battery before I confirm.
Loss of trust for sure.

Curious: do other manufacturers match, underperform or outperform Tesla with actual upgrades? I am not accustomed to manufacturers providing any upgrades.

Thanks,
Alan

Curious: do other manufacturers match, underperform or outperform Tesla with actual upgrades? I am not accustomed to manufacturers providing any upgrades.

Thanks,
Alan
Nope Tesla is still the best as far as factory upgrades etc.
You just can not count on upgrading to a larger battery in the future as many have thought . So for me it will always be a short term car.
Maybe in the future there will be aftermarket batteries for upgrades.
It does decrease the value of current cars if the batteries can't be upgraded.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
It occurs to me that while the P85DL might not be upgradeable to the 100kWh battery used in the P100DL (since that requires new cooling and perhaps a higher capacity inverter than exists in the P85DL in order to reach the P100DL's 1750 amps) it might turn out to be possible to upgrade it to the battery that will be used in the not-yet-introduced 100D, or in the 110D, etc., that's further on out there. If those batteries have a programmable fuse, perhaps it could be turned up to the 1500 amps of the current P85DL, or perhaps the 1600 amps of the P90DL v2. The point is that P85DL owners would at least be able to get upgrades in range with the passage of time, holding or slightly increasing performance. Upgrades in range within the current and cooling limits of what the P85DL could handle might be what Elon was talking about when he alluded to owners of P85Ds deferring an upgrade of their batteries until sizes beyond 100kWh became available. This would be disappointing to most of us whose goal is ever higher performance, but new batteries that upgrade range would have at least some value.

There were no changes to drivetrain / inverters, and cooling changes were internal to the battery pack. I think the only incompatibilities are with the wiring harness and connectors. They probably won't maintain two different sets just for backward compatibility.

I believe they've already said not. Planned obsolescence. They won't even sell you the parts so you could have it done yourself. That only leaves obtaining parts from salvage cars.
Yeah and that does bother me because having the ability to upgrade at some point in the future was one of the things I factored in when buying my car. It's just another example of Elon's mouth getting ahead of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.