Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation seats soon to be available for older Model S cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a statement like this, it really helps to state what seat revisions you have:
- 1.0, the original seats from 2012 and 2013 with vertical stitching down the middle of the back
- 1.1, the original seats + a spring TSB to have more give in the seat
- 1.5, the 2014 and onward "standard" seats with the taller and closer to your neck headrests and deeper thicker cushions than 1.1
- 2.0, the 2014 and onward "next gen" seats made by Recaro that have horizontal stitching on the back and serious side-bolstering

Generalizing, comfort has been said to get better with each revision, but my 1.1s are very comfortable and not troublesome at all after a 400 mile road trip. The 1.5s in the loaner I drove had thicker cushions, but felt just as comfortable for my workday commute. They works great in launches (my test drives also had 1.5s).

What is "a spring TSB". I have 1.0 or 1.1 and would like to know how to tell the difference (car delivered early March 2013). The loaner with 1.5's I had were terrible, the neck rest was way to low in and I could not adjust the seat for comfort. I could not have gotten the car if I had to live with the 1.5's and the neck rest issue.

What is "a spring TSB". I have 1.0 or 1.1 and would like to know how to tell the difference (car delivered early March 2013). The loaner with 1.5's I had were terrible, the neck rest was way to low in and I could not adjust the seat for comfort. I could not have gotten the car if I had to live with the 1.5's and the neck rest issue.

At some point (before I followed Tesla), they updated the springs in the 1.0 seats to become 1.1s. This can be retrofitted to existing seats. It allowed the seat to seat to sink in more and be less stiff.

That is my complaint as well, if i take a hard left i feel like WHOA!, taking a right i just kinda lean on the door a bit.

One of the reasons we upgraded from the P85 to the P85D was the Next Gen seat option. I hated the seats in the P85, in part because of the lack of proper bolstering.

Notwithstanding any other issues I may have with the new car, the Next Gen seats are a revelation. They are proper luxury/sport car seats. They hold you in and they're comfortable. I wouldn't own the car without the Next Gen seats.

One of the reasons we upgraded from the P85 to the P85D was the Next Gen seat option. I hated the seats in the P85, in part because of the lack of proper bolstering.

Notwithstanding any other issues I may have with the new car, the Next Gen seats are a revelation. They are proper luxury/sport car seats. They hold you in and they're comfortable. I wouldn't own the car without the Next Gen seats.

Hopefully the retrofit is not crazy expensive, the normal seats do leave a lot to be desired.

With a statement like this, it really helps to state what seat revisions you have:
- 1.0, the original seats from 2012 and 2013 with vertical stitching down the middle of the back
- 1.1, the original seats + a spring TSB to have more give in the seat
- 1.5, the 2014 and onward "standard" seats with the taller and closer to your neck headrests and deeper thicker cushions than 1.1
- 2.0, the 2014 and onward "next gen" seats made by Recaro that have horizontal stitching on the back and serious side-bolstering

Generalizing, comfort has been said to get better with each revision, but my 1.1s are very comfortable and not troublesome at all after a 400 mile road trip. The 1.5s in the loaner I drove had thicker cushions, but felt just as comfortable for my workday commute. They works great in launches (my test drives also had 1.5s).

you missed a change between 1.0 and 1.5
there was something like a 1.05 change that made the new original seats sit higher. Older seats (2012 and early 2013 are able to be lowered a bit lower than later cars)
I don't know what exactly was changed that did this but my first loaner with a 16K vin was like this

The release of this retrofit and pricing in U.S. is yet to be confirmed, but given the pricing on some of the other retrofits in the past eg Performance Plus suspension, parking sensors, etc, $5000 installed for an OEM Recaro pair of seats is not out of line, imo. I wouldn't be surprised if the price ends up being even higher -- not saying that's right, though...

Touchpoints in a performance car are very important, namely steering wheel and seats. For example, how would you feel about your car as a whole if the steering wheel was skinny and wrapped in vinyl? Same thing with the supports and look of the seats.

Finally, esthetically speaking, assuming one is not always looking into the back seats, the front seats and dash make up a majority of the style points in an interior, imo. So I guess I'm saying it is worth it to me.

Last edited:
Has anyone asked their service center lately? I just dropped off my car at the Menlo Park service center and inquired about it. They said they would get back to me if it is available for retrofit and cost. The "tech" that rode around with me said he has seen it done. He said it was $2.5k according to the books, but I forgot to ask if that was for 1 seat or both seats.

Coincidentally I just asked my service center (Rockville MD) earlier today. They said they don't have any idea when and if a retrofit will become available, but they have been asked to communicate all inquiries to Tesla because they are trying to gauge interest.

Has anyone asked their service center lately? I just dropped off my car at the Menlo Park service center and inquired about it. They said they would get back to me if it is available for retrofit and cost. The "tech" that rode around with me said he has seen it done. He said it was $2.5k according to the books, but I forgot to ask if that was for 1 seat or both seats.

The Menlo Park service center closed over a year ago when Stanford University wouldn't renew the lease. I just drove by the building and lot yesterday and it still looks empty. Did you mean Palo Alto service center?

I've been asking about this retrofit as well. Tesla is apparently trying to determine the interest level in this retrofit before they decide whether to make it available. So, my SC encouraged me to spread the word to the community that if you are interested in this retrofit that you should make an inquiry at your local SC because they pass that information along to the mothership.