Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. $1200 buys a top-level 5G mobile phone with 80211.ax, 256GB to 512GB of storage and a multi-core processor far faster than an Atom. An automotive platform CPU doesn't need to fit in a pocket, either.
I frequent camera forums and people always talk like this: why does my cheap couple hundred dollar cell phone have so much computing power, but my camera costing thousands has a fraction of that?

Well, the reason is volume: cell phones sell in the hundreds of millions, over a billion per year. Even the smaller obscure brands sell in the millions if not tens of millions. The story is similar for the Chromebooks mentioned above (17 million units last year). The amount of MCU units Tesla has is a pittance compared to that, so the prices they are paying to make them are not going to be comparable.

Still $2000 to keep your FM radio and fix Tesla's software? Still worth it to go to small claims court.
If you have lifetime connectivity, does upgrading to MCU2 cause you to have to pay monthly in the future? I don't care about the new stuff, just the music streaming.

Still $2000 to keep your FM radio and fix Tesla's software? Still worth it to go to small claims court.
If you have lifetime connectivity, does upgrading to MCU2 cause you to have to pay monthly in the future? I don't care about the new stuff, just the music streaming.

looking at the image in post 297 I'm going to say lifetime connectivity is on your Tesla account for the car so changing the hardware won't affect that.

Tesla made the mistake of having safety features controlled by the MCU. People are having MCU failures that Tesla claims are not the emmc. That needs to be reported to the Feds, with pics of the failures, and writings from Tesla claiming it's not the emmc. This is just as unacceptable as the emmc failure. I would assume Tesla is figuring out how to get these features off the MCU, right now, for future cars. The way I see it is Tesla is going to be stuck with every MCU failure going forward, until these features are no longer on the MCU. The $1500 upgrade is wishful thinking to cut THEIR costs. I'm not paying anything, and if they can't keep my MCU1 working then they are going to upgrade it for free.

Does anyone else see $1500 as insulting? Why should we pay $1500 so that we feel safe (and to use basic features like AC and Heat) in our vehicles?

There’s also the fact that many of us paid extra for XM and there’s an extra $500 to pay on top of a new MCU for the luxury just to keep XM/FM - an upgrade we already paid for.

It’s tough to stomach that that a $130k P100D doesn’t have the basics of a $10k car.

We loved our vehicle, turned on countless people to Tesla as we raved about our car and service. We can’t believe that this is the same company that we purchased from.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see $1500 as insulting? Why should we pay $1500 so that we feel safe (and to use basic features like AC and Heat) in our vehicles?

There’s also the fact that many of us paid extra for XM and there’s an extra $500 to pay on top of a new MCU for the luxury just to keep XM/FM - an upgrade we already paid for.

It’s tough to stomach that that a $130k P100D doesn’t have the basics of a $10k car.

We loved our vehicle, turned on countless people to Tesla as we raved about our car and service. We can’t believe that this is the same company that we purchased from.

A real solution would be too offer the daughterboard with promise of new software. Meaning new software like v8 for MCU1. Everything ran well enough until they tried to merge m3 UI with MCU1. Try disabling the tracking on navigation when you drive. MCU runs really smooth

MCU1 just cannot handle navigation and other functions simultaneously. Which is why I think FSD with MCU1 is a scam and will end up a mess. Tesla may run into another issue with that, they promised everyone the hardware needed for FSD

I totally see your point, but at the same time if you bring cost into the equation and make it relative... it would be equal to about $350 for a $30,000 car. Having MCU1 after daughterboard replacement and the continued issues is super annoying, I get it. But at the same time paying 350 for additional features is not a terrible deal, including the hardware to replace both screens. I see both sides, as an end user I do wish Tesla would have futureproofed, not just with the eMMC but also with the MCU design.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I totally see your point, but at the same time if you bring cost into the equation and make it relative... it would be equal to about $350 for a $30,000 car. Having MCU1 after daughterboard replacement and the continued issues is super annoying, I get it. But at the same time paying 350 for additional features is not a terrible deal, including the hardware to replace both screens. I see both sides, as an end user I do wish Tesla would have futureproofed, not just with the eMMC but also with the MCU design.
Thanks for the feedback and would agree with your point if we were interested in new features. We are not looking for the new features or enhancements, just a vehicle that is usable and our family feels safe in.

Thanks for the feedback and would agree with your point if we were interested in new features. We are not looking for the new features or enhancements, just a vehicle that is usable and our family feels safe in.

Did you replace your eMMC yet?

I had a lot of issues as well prior to replacement. Post eMMC replacement it is still laggy and super frustrating.... but no major blackouts and no actual safety concerns for me after replacement. Nav takes a while to load but safe, no issues with signals, backup camera has a slight delay but not a blackout like prior.

I had a prior Audi that had a laggy interface from the beginning... with no option to replace. As cars become much more computer dependent this is definitely an issue we will have to deal with. I hope with future iterations they design the car so it’s much easier to upgrade, not if that becomes necessary but when.

it's 1500, not 350
It's an upgrade in many ways, and a downgrade if you use traditional radio

Um yes I understand that. What was said is that in relative terms it costs $350 if comparing with a 30k car.

Everything everyone buys is relative. Wealth is relative, and so is cost. I’m not saying it is cheap, I’m stating that in general, for someone dropping 130k on a car, $1500 is not as terrible as it sounds.

Also not a bad idea to think of this in terms of relevance. Pros and cons right at the moment with current features... but how many more features will you miss out on by having MCU1?
Don’t need features, just want to have a vehicle that NHTSA feels is safe. I don’t think anyone should have to pay $100 or $1500 to be able to see out of the rear of their vehicle or knowing whether or not their turn signals are on or off.

Did you replace your eMMC yet?

I had a lot of issues as well prior to replacement. Post eMMC replacement it is still laggy and super frustrating.... but no major blackouts and no actual safety concerns for me after replacement. Nav takes a while to load but safe, no issues with signals, backup camera has a slight delay but not a blackout like prior.

I had a prior Audi that had a laggy interface from the beginning... with no option to replace. As cars become much more computer dependent this is definitely an issue we will have to deal with. I hope with future iterations they design the car so it’s much easier to upgrade, not if that becomes necessary but when.
Yeah, plenty of interfaces out there that are laggy from the start and no payouts there. However, if the interface does become completely unresponsive or crashes regularly, that still is a safety issue.

Just so people can see what to expect from a settlement of sorts, here's how the payoff was handle for Ford's system:
"Claim amounts will vary depending on owners’ experiences with the systems. The settlement stipulates that customers who had their multimedia system repaired once at the dealership can file a claim for $100. For two repair visits, that number jumps to $250, and those who brought their vehicle in for system repairs three or more times can file for $400. Even if you didn’t visit the dealership for a fix, however, affected owners can still file a claim for $45."
MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch lawsuit: $400 to some Ford, Lincoln owners

I don't think a free MCU2 is coming based on that. Most likely it'll be more proactive eMMC replacement and software updates to reduce the bloat. For those who bought FSD, perhaps they might get a bit more if MCU1 really does end up not usable with it.