Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 3 days ago - Jared Porter was the General Manager of baseball's NY Mets.

2 days ago he lost his job because a major media outlet (ESPN) released a story detailing his explicit photo and sexting exploits.

The moral here...

Time for some of us to contact appropriate media outlets that have some heft in the automotive world.

For example - Dan Neil is the Wall Street Journal automotive columnist.

The New York Times business section doesn't have a dedicated auto journalist but features the auto world on occasion.

I'm looking into other journalists who would love a story like this.

So join me in sending some of these journalists a good story tip.

It takes more than one e-mail from one of us suckers to move the needle.

But this is kind of "consumer gets screwed by corporate America" story that journalists eat up.

So I'm going through this issue right now.
MCU freezes, jumbled characters etc
Had it looked at along with a few other others before my ESA runs out... diagnostics indicate my MCU is fine <shrug>

My SC has always been and continues to be great, but it seems like a corporate decision to just wait it out.
Tip
Document EVERYTHING. Keep a spreadsheet of times/dates of failures. Use your camera phone to record video clips of issues. Make sure you save the time/date of the videos. Save the videos off of your phone to a dedicated folder in the cloud for these issues. Documentation is SO key in case you decide to pursue arbitration or legal action on your own...

So I'm going through this issue right now.
MCU freezes, jumbled characters etc
Had it looked at along with a few other others before my ESA runs out... diagnostics indicate my MCU is fine <shrug>

My SC has always been and continues to be great, but it seems like a corporate decision to just wait it out.
Same thing w my MCU...Tesla are blaming it on software...they did a health check OTA and said it’s healthy

Tip
Document EVERYTHING. Keep a spreadsheet of times/dates of failures. Use your camera phone to record video clips of issues. Make sure you save the time/date of the videos. Save the videos off of your phone to a dedicated folder in the cloud for these issues. Documentation is SO key in case you decide to pursue arbitration or legal action on your own...
The NHTSA will also ask you for specific dates and times for your issues, as well as the specific dates and times of when you reported them to Tesla and how Tesla responded. They did this for both mcu and batterygate and im told it is because Tesla had to provide every instance to them. if they omit your report it can add to the fines later, so it helps with leveraging a recall. I assume this was why the NHTSA made veiled threats of legal repercussions when they released the ultimatum.

Reactions: Droschke
Dumb question. What processor came after the tegra 2 in tesla from nvidia. Would the next tegra plug in and work on the motherboard

It's never that easy. Tesla already functionally did this- It's MCU2, which they charge $2500 to upgrade to.
CPU's on mobile devices are not socketed like on Desktop PC's. They are soldered to the board, you have to replace a larger board.

• Informative
Reactions: viper2ko
Tip

I just put a dashcam in my car, but pointed at the center screen so I have a document for everything whenever it happens.

Wow, sorry it had to come to that. Really interested to hear what happens next.

What should happen is, if there are any errors on the Chip, either active or in the logs, and the car meets warranty requirements, the whole daughterboard should be replaced.

I am beginning to think that not only is clearing the Home Directory, or Factory Reset ineffective, it is actually destroying the evidence for log errors, which per the SB, are grounds for daughter board replacement!

What will happen based on recent posts is nothing unless your car is completely dead MCU1 wise...

MCU2 upgrade is now 1500. Sounds like an attempt to get more cars off the recall list

The pressure from NHSTA for a full recall may also be a factor in lowering the price of MCU2. :cool:
I think Tesla may be motivated to reduce the number of repair claims if they push owners to upgrade.
3f77b578-94e6-4f66-9573-0a4c8e140222-png.629561

Last edited:
Reactions: random155
Yep I agree. They are trying to get everyone off the MCU1 with original EMMC before they are forced to replace them for free.

Lets them squeeze some more cash out of the loser early adopters and reduce their liability at the same time.

This cheapskate, non early adopter is going to hang on to my MCU1. Make them pay to replace it with MCU2!