Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIssan Leaf is a Better Car Than the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but this is simply not in line with the facts. Yes, there are Tesla’s that needed a battery replacement, but this is highly uncommon. In fact, Tesla batteries have proven to degrade far less then expected.

On the other hand Nissan has a battery replacement program set up because of the fact that there is a problem with degradation

Yep, got one. Battery lost 40% in less than 5 years. Leaf blows.

I owned a 2012 Leaf and really liked it. Was sad that the battery had to be replaced at 62500 miles due to degradation. Was also sad to sell it when I bought the Model 3. The Leaf was a nice BEV for a commute only vehicle but battery degradation and no OTA updates as well as getting fast DC charging that gave me 70 miles in a half hour made me look elsewhere. By the way Nissan asked that you bring it in for routine maintenance and charged similar costs to an ICE for those services.

I know several Bay Area Leaf owners that have recently traded into M3. My Leaf was in for service all of 2 times in 6 years. First time because they reminded me and 2nd to get free battery replacement.

It’s laughable that people actually believe the Leaf can be compared to the Model 3. They are not substitute goods. Only thing they have in common is they are EVs - that’s it.

I’m not going to cross shop a porterhouse steak with a tofurkey burger because they are both “food”.

The joys of massive upfront discounts will turn into ashes in your mouth when you eventually want to get rid of it.

While the Model 3 beat the holy hell out of the Leaf, I am surprised the Leaf was close to 1000 units. That’s just throwing good money after bad.

Even if it’s 10K - that’s 10K less available now to you that could have gone to a superior good.

As @ElectricLee would understand, if people around you get smarter, your life gets harder. Thankfully the shortage of fools is never ending.

Last edited:
Ridiculous comparison. Other than the fact that you plug them both in there is nothing in common between these two cars. It’s like comparing a Porsche 911 and a Toyota Corolla because they both use gas.

But the important take away is that the Corolla has bigger mirrors, a smoother suspension, and better for picking up groceries, so the Corolla is a better car! :D

Not quite sure if OP was trolling or if he truly thinks that 6 of his personal preferences are the metric for defining what makes a better car. Either way it creates a fun thread to read.

I still have my old Leaf, and I love both my EV's, but tomorrow I'm driving the M3 to work. :)

Fair points all around.

Now that the 3, comes with EAP (tacc) - some of you make a fair point about the 3 being the overall best value. However, I stand firm on my position about Tesla's quality & customer service issues.

(I must back peddle on my original position..a bit)--- Nissan dealerships around here have incentives (when combined with the $7,500) - knock off about $10,000 from the Leaf's price tag.

Considering battery degradation -- as long as the manufacturer honors their warranty, this isn't a deal breaker.

So you think Tesla has een problem with quality and that’s a minus for the Tesla.

The Leaf has a problem with battery degradation (which is kinda a big deal with an EV), but that’s not a dealbreaker, because you have warranty.

Now tell me: are you unaware of the fact that Tesla also has warranty on their cars, or are you working towards a conclusion you just die to make?

• Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and Evoforce
Ridiculous comparison. Other than the fact that you plug them both in there is nothing in common between these two cars. It’s like comparing a Porsche 911 and a Toyota Corolla because they both use gas.
In this case the corolla and the porsche sell for approximately the same dollars. You are confirming that no one should buy the corolla, the porsche is much better.

I just did a Build You Car comparison.

Both cars in Red -- Base level trim on both cars....however, for the comparison, I used the Leaf with longer range, since the Model 3 has more range.

Tesla Model 3 = Base level Model 3 = $41,500 (including destination fees)

Nissan Leaf Plus [Plus so the range is equitable] = $41,600

The Tesla is the better value. I was wrong from my original post. I can admit it.

Plus....the Leaf is just so ugly

I just did a Build You Car comparison.

Both cars in Red -- Base level trim on both cars....however, for the comparison, I used the Leaf with longer range, since the Model 3 has more range.

Tesla Model 3 = Base level Model 3 = $41,500 (including destination fees)

Nissan Leaf Plus [Plus so the range is equitable] = $41,600

The Tesla is the better value. I was wrong from my original post. I can admit it.

Plus....the Leaf is just so ugly

Do people pay MSRP for Leafs like you do with a Tesla? I am guessing out the door price for the Leaf would be less after all the dealer incentives and whatnot.

The old Nissan Leaf was a glorified golf cart. However, the new Nissan Leaf has a 226 mile battery and ProPilot to compete with Tesla's base model with Autopilot (I am NOT comparing the Nissan Leaf with the higher trim Model 3s). In addition, there are many features on the new Nissan Leaf that are better than the Tesla Model 3; relaxing ePedal driving (when you lift your foot off the "gas" pedal, the car stops) and much smoother ride, just to name a few. At the same price point, the new Nissan Leaf is a better car than the Tesla Model 3?

The following is an honest video comparison review of the Nissan Leaf vs the Tesla Model 3. This is NOT a Tesla fan boy review. I own both vehicles and I'm NOT going to sell either one of them....

We could race and settle the matter once and for all.

Hell, I'll even be a sport and give you a chance by putting it in Chill mode.

isnt the OPs original post just an attempt to get youtube clicks? Thats the first thing I think of when I see someone here post a sensationalist title, along with a statement of "check out this video I made".

Maybe its because I am not really into youtube videos, unless I am looking for something very specific on how to accomplish some task (so I do not "follow" any "youtubers" at all), but this board is littered with people saying "check out my video of my review...".

Am I the only person who saw the OPs post and thought that (and no I did not click the OPs video as I was not interested in a leaf vs tesla model 3 comparison). If EVs only looked like leafs and bolts, I wouldnt be driving one, regardless of features. I have to at least like the way my car looks. "love" would be better, but at least like, and i hate the way pretty much every other EV except teslas look.

isnt the OPs original post just an attempt to get youtube clicks? Thats the first thing I think of when I see someone here post a sensationalist title, along with a statement of "check out this video I made".

Maybe its because I am not really into youtube videos, unless I am looking for something very specific on how to accomplish some task (so I do not "follow" any "youtubers" at all), but this board is littered with people saying "check out my video of my review...".

Am I the only person who saw the OPs post and thought that (and no I did not click the OPs video as I was not interested in a leaf vs tesla model 3 comparison). If EVs only looked like leafs and bolts, I wouldnt be driving one, regardless of features. I have to at least like the way my car looks. "love" would be better, but at least like, and i hate the way pretty much every other EV except teslas look.

A big research platform that I use for just about anything, from changing a cabin filter or making a trip from L.A. or San Diego to Las Vegas in a Model 3 is YouTube.. thank god for YouTube, I don’t care if the guy gets a click or a view. What I do care is the free important info that these guy are putting out to further educate me on that specific topic.

Fred

Reactions: Runebane
Former owner of a 2012 Leaf with major capacity loss. Total driving range was about 41 miles or so when it was sold. Nissan service told us the capacity loss was caused by parking in hot parking lots in the summer (Sacramento valley can get over 108 F in the summer). Nissan service called once to say our Leaf had major issues because the car would not charge. Asked them if they turned off the charging timer and they just said "oh"........

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and Scott7