TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NKLAQ

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Buckminster, Jun 11, 2020.

1. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Jeeze, what happened with NKLA just now? Looks like it tripped off a cliff, down 3% in minutes.

2. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I'm surprised that this thread has died, with the recent drop in NKLA SP.

• Like x 2
  3. dl003

dl003 Member

• Like x 3
  4. Thekiwi

Thekiwi Active Member

NKLA is the pixelon of the 2020 bull market

really wish I had kept up my weekly put positions on it.

5. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Reason #3 in that article is that the CEO is spending too much time and energy and focus on the stock price. I think that's a good reason here in the particular, and it helps me articulate a more general idea.

If you want to know what's important to somebody, you can listen to what they say - it's at least a pointer in the right direction. What you really want though is to focus on what they do. What they do will reveal what's really important to them, and hopefully the words and deeds are in alignment.

In this case, I'm pretty sure the CEO will say that bringing an awesome electric vehicle to market is what's important. The deeds suggest that his focus is elsewhere.

And that's too bad. I'd like to see anybody show up with serious Tesla competition, so we as consumers have real choices and not settle-for choices. I'm thinking that NKLA won't be that somebody.

• Like x 3
  6. dl003

dl003 Member

Whereas Elon is very specific to the point of stuttering sometimes, this guy is straight up door to door sales. As an introvert myself, this is a very big red flag.

• Informative x 2
  7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Moving here since it doesn't belong in the Tesla thread...

@PV4EV Really, it is just a BEV Semi with a FC range extender. The FC was only putting out ~100kW, but they were consuming ~500kW when accelerating an unloaded Semi in a parking lot. Could the FC ramp up? Doubtfully enough to actually power a loaded Semi up a hill, they have to rely on the battery for that, so the FC just has to keep it topped up. (But it was only at ~18% in the demo.)

8. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Great thread on how NKLA still hasn't figured out how to store 80 kg of hydrogen on their trucks: https://twitter.com/ajtourville/status/1281332814059917312?s=19

Dimensions are all TBD, but basic math on the dimensions needed for 4-5 tanks of hydrogen stored at 10,000 PSI put it outside of allowable DOT limits.

• Love x 1
  9. Doggydogworld

Doggydogworld Active Member

His 1.9m cylinder length is laughable. The entire truck would be shorter than a Model 3!!!

He bases it on a 22.5 inch front tire height, lol. That's literally knee-high. 22.5 is the WHEEL diameter. Tire diameter is almost double that, roughly 40 inches.

A class 8 tractor can fit 4m tanks between the wheels. 3.5m and 0.48m diameter holds 16 kg. 5 of those fit in the 2.44m DOT width limit and present no floor height problem.

Why can't people use their brains?

10. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Oil4AsphaultOnly Supporting Member

Someone pointed out that he used the wrong size for the tires, but concluded that it's still impossible after correcting for it. So he re-did the calculations to correct for the tire size (now 40"): https://twitter.com/ajtourville/status/1281396279055134724

I think the clincher will be whether you can fit more than 3.5m of tank between the wheels. That's almost 15 feet, which doesn't look likely either. Even 3m is pushing it.

11. Doggydogworld

3.5m is 11 and a half feet, not 15. And he "corrected" his 78% error by increasing tank length 17%. Ha.

Tractor wheelbase can be 22 feet from center of the front wheel to midpoint between the rears. Take out 60+ inches for wheels and you've got over 5 meters to play with. I guarantee 3.5m tanks can fit.

"Proving" fraud using a random artist's conception is goofy in the first place. NKLA is mostly a scam, but that doesn't justify copying the TSLAQ cult's methods.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  12. renim

renim Active Member

actually, I would say it confirms it is possible...just go vertical and horizontal, below seems vertical only
    upload_2020-7-11_21-37-33.png

problem for nkla is that Hyundai has started production.
    World’s first fuel cell heavy-duty truck, XCIENT Fuel Cell, heads to Europe for commercial use. | Hyundai News | Hyundai Australia

key points from Hyundai
    350bar hydrogen
    dual 95kW fuel cell stacks. Seven large hydrogen tanks offer a combined storage capacity of around 32.09kg of hydrogen.
    upload_2020-7-11_21-42-50.png
    Hyundai to develop tractor unit with driving range of 1,000km on a single charge for USA market

consider carefully, 36 tonnes with 190kW stack, their battery (73kWh) must do a lot of duty.

but the point is, Tsla had a vacuum of competitors, Nkla looks like it will have a least 1 credible competitor.

• Informative x 2
  13. HVM

HVM Savolainen

14. renim

renim Active Member

the batteries referred to, pretty obviously are lithium sulphur. thundersky sold them about 10 years ago, min cell size was 600Ah, maximum cell size was 30,000 Ah!

Lithium Sulfur Batteries - AEVA Forums

I vaguely remember that they sold some for Chinese grid applications, then it went quiet.

15. Doggydogworld

Did ThunderSky (or anyone else) ever actually deliver any of these? They seem wholly unsuited for grid use, where the buyer doesn't care about weight but cares A LOT about cycle life. I do remember TS and others listing them on their websites, but I never heard of anyone getting actual batteries.

What makes you think NKLA is talking about Li-S vs. lithium metal anode/solid state or silicon anode or one of the other "next great things"?

FWIW, I've always held the (very unpopular) opinion that Roadster 2 is designed around solid state cells.

16. renim

renim Active Member

Lithium Sulphur is always the chemistry when the specs focus on weight and ignore volume.
    Its also cheap. Is there any other chemistry real or research that significantly improves weight performance vs li ion without any benefit in volume also?

Grid application as in substation scale, similar to how the japanese use sodium sulphur batteries.

17. carterm2

carterm2 Member

I have been looking into NKLA, trying my best to be objective.

But...

NKLA's website is full of false information, hyperbole and promises and computer renderings of products and services that do not exist. Information on warrants was misleading, undefined maps of elusive H2 fueling stations, no schedules for major events, "NKLAWorld" are listed. (Tweets seem to be the source for upcoming events.)

Based on many years of experience, products do not get developed from computer renderings- many prototypes and years of development are required. For me, watching the recent smartphone video of the Semi reveals his shallow understanding of technology, and this is proven out by many of his technically naive tweets.

not advice, no position.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. hershey101

hershey101 Member

• Informative x 1
  19. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

20. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Unclear whether it's 53m or 24m... But yeah... It's the official conversion of the warrents... I mean this was well known, but finally should end up fixing the price arbitrage that existed between $NKLA and $NKLAW.

The 25%-50% increase in float should also allow more shorts to pile on and drive this thing down. IV on options has been crushed over the past few weeks and probably will be crushed even more on Monday.

• Informative x 1