Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaner cars? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the person suggesting that being provided a personal chauffeur (Lyft) to take them around should be something we thank Tesla for instead of getting a loaner.... You must not understand how Lyft works.

Allom me to educate you. You summon a driver via an app and wait around for a driver to show up in whatever random car happens to answer the request. Once the driver eventually shows up they drop you at your destination then they leave. Then you must repeat this process for every leg of your trip. You are making it sound like Tesla assigns you a specific driver that just sits in your driveway waiting for you to need a ride then sits in the parking lot of wherever you need to go until you're ready to go home or to your next destination. And what if you actually needed to drive somewhere other than work or the grocery store? Like a business meeting a couple hours away?

Quit your fan boy crap and just admit that at this price level there is a certain amount of service expected and loaner cars would absolutely be one of those services. Luxury or not luxury is irrelevant. Tesla is dropping the ball in some areas of the country. I personally have not experience this but if they offered Lyft for a planned service visit I would go nuts on them. If it was an emergency situation I would give them a pass but expect them to provide a loaner ASAP.

I swear loaner cars were listed as a benefit on the website when I bought my car. Anyone confirm this?

Jason

We all know how ride sharing works.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing
IMO it is unacceptable, offering a Lyft is not the same as offering a loaner car since you may have multiple things to do on that day and have to actually carry your kids around etc that Lyft is not going to be ideal for.

I usually drop off my car in the morning before dropping my family and remove the car seats and install them into the loaner so my day can go on just as normal. I cannot imagine having to deal with this type of a surprise on a working day as it would throw my day off completely and ruin it not just for me

You should insist they make it up in some way and/or bring you a loaner as soon as possible either using a rental car agency or one of their own or reschedule the appointment and have them come and pick up your car and drop off a loaner.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
bummer, never had that issue here in AZ. Yes they should always provide one but sometimes im sure there arent enough cars to go around. Right now they are doing all that is possible to show profit. Sucks yes but it is what it is. I would rather not get a loaner and tesla save the $ to stay in buisness but thats just me.

Nice, so a third party publication decides to stack the Tesla up against Luxury Cars? I was pointing to THEIR advertising. They NEVER have stated Tesla is a luxury vehicle, for obvious reason... its not.

How about consumer reports?

Tesla

You’re really pissing in the wind here and I don’t know why. Name another $130K 4-door production vehicle that isn’t considered “luxury”.

Heres a lazy reply... cause you keep referencing 130k like all of us paid literally TOP DOLLAR for a model S

upload_2018-8-20_20-26-57.png

upload_2018-8-20_20-27-11.png

Reactions: Flyguy
If you bought a Tesla expecting to have your salad tossed and feet kissed every time you're forced to emerge from your crystal cocoon and interact with the working class, you've been severely misled and would be far better off with the established luxury brands. Any of them will happily sell you a $50,000 car for $100k to leave adequate margins available to fluff your ego.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, there's a striking amount of overlap between the folks who rant about not getting a polished low-mileage P100D for every service experience and those fully incensed about Tesla's "outrageous" service costs.

If a loaner is available that's great. If not an ICE rental will bridge the gap. Unless I don't actually need a car for the day, in which case a complimentary lift/Lyft is a nice gesture.

Torrance service center has the same issue. I was once told they ran out of loaner as well as Enterprise so we rescheduled. I've always asked for an X but I haven't been able to get one since 2018. I asked the valet about the loaner situation and he told me they've sold them all.

Seriously, I have no problem with them selling the loaners but you gotta replenish them.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
If Tesla had better quality control, then there wouldn't be so many cars needing service, and there wouldn't be such a desperate need for loaner cars. When it comes to quality and reliability with Tesla vehicles of any model year, it's a crapshoot. Some people have zero issues and are extremely happy, while others are afflicted with multiple issues, needing repeated service center visits, which is a waste of time and money for both the customers and Tesla.

Last edited:
Tesla’s problem is that there is no way they can have enough loaners to meet demand.

Program is not sustainable so while unpopular they should set some ground rules so there are expectations and everyone is treated the same.

As an example, you buy a P100D you are guaranteed a Tesla loaner - period.

You buy a SR Model 3 and try to torrent EAP software you get $10 daily credit towards a Corolla.

They can figure out something in between for the S and X’s but that’s a rough basis to find an economically effecient solution.

• Funny
Reactions: Langhorne
FWIW: I've never had an issue getting a loaner in FL or NC but then again about 75% of my service calls in Naples have been Rangers. Also, the luxorious Porsche of Naples assigns Enterprise cars as well....about 50% of the time my wife gets one when getting her Macan serviced.

Luxury or not, what other car manufacturer are unable to loan out their own vehicle when necessary. It does leave a little egg on their face.

I’ll give them benefit of the doubt though because “service centers” don’t have a huge parking lot of cars for sale like traditional auto makers.

Never misunderstand the importance of after sales service,Tesla. It’s just not the loaners, but parts and scheduling are all grouped together. Those principals applie to all demographics, not just of luxury car owners.

tesla isnt luxury, its also new so theres no surprise they have issues
Bummer, since the original plan was to make "luxury" cars!

Tesla Motors to Produce All-electric Luxury Sedan in California | Tesla, Inc.

It's almost as if saying Teslas aren't luxury cars has become a defensive trope. Of course, VW provides loaners and they aren't a luxury brand. So even if we buy into the "Tesla isn't a luxury car" hogwash, it's not an excuse for lack of loaners. Moving on...

Even Tesla mouthpiece elektrek recalls CEO Musk claiming in May 2017 that:

elektrek said:
Furthermore, CEO Elon Musk added that Tesla is also growing its fleet of loaner vehicles and owners will be happy to learn that they will all be Tesla’s top-of-the-line P100D vehicles.

It’s still a program that they are deploying and as owners know, Tesla’s loaners are not always available when bringing their car in for service.

But Musk says it should be in place in “a few months”:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

While it should make the service experience better for owners, it’s also an excellent sale tactic for Tesla since it will give them an opportunity to promote an upgrade to their latest models.

The Model S P100D and Model X P100D are significantly more expensive than their “non-performance” (P) counterparts, but they offer supercar-like acceleration – 0 to 60 mph in 2.4 seconds for the Model S.

McNeill also added that Tesla plans to increase the service loaner fleet proportionally with the increase in quarterly deliveries.

Tesla plans to deploy fully-loaded P100Ds as loaner vehicles in all service centers

Bottom line: Teslas loaner situation is a garbage whether Teslas are luxury cars or not. I'm not an investor. I'm just an owner.

("in a few months"... tee hee)

• Love
Reactions: neroden and swgdan
Tesla’s problem is that there is no way they can have enough loaners to meet demand ...snip....
why - poor quality control from the
factory?
Our Lexus Hybrid SUV - at $50k pretax was less that ½ the cost of our X - yet the Lexus never went to the shop except for alignment. But our X, in 18mo has spent over 6 weeks @ the SC, not even including weeks waiting for parts like defective headliner, & an air suspension solenoid. Seems like so many loaners wouldn't be necessary but for too many cars needing work. And now with 5,000 3's added to the mix every week?
Oh lookie what's behind me, 8 cars deep trying to get up to the front of the line for more warranty work:
20180219_072701.jpg

Maybe instead of a loaner Tesla for the 100's .... maybe throw a bone to us loyal folk who show herculean patience.

I'm not an investor. I'm just an owner.

X90 12/16, ExpectedAP™ and AP1-Parody -- Sticking up for Tesla owners, not TSLA owners.

You have no idea how wrong you actually are. By buying a Tesla, you are invested by definition.

Tesla has to utilize its resources wisely to create a sustainable system for the long term future.

If TSLA becomes TSLAQ, what happens to your warranty, supercharger network, etc?