Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaner cars? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You DO know VW has set speed records w/its electeic super car, right? ... as well as preparing to launch their Model S sized EV - & charging infrastructure - running 100's of volts higher than tesla? Nor there yet - just sayin don't write off their goals just yet.

Luxury or not, what other car manufacturer are unable to loan out their own vehicle when necessary.

I think the major difference between Tesla and other car manufacturers is vehicle inventory. Tesla produces cars on-demand. There generally aren't new, non-CPO, vehicles sitting on the lot waiting for purchase. And that goes across all of its models.

Other manufacturers have dozens of models, so even if your particular model isn't available for a loaner, there likely is enough inventory to give you something else and the dealer (not manufacturer) is willing to later sell at a discount as a used vehicle.

There really isn't a good comparison to other manufacturer's out there given Tesla only has 3 current models and are all wait-listed while all other mainstream manufacturers easily top that and have car-lot available new vehicle inventory

I have been thinking why doesn’t Tesla know how many loaners they need for a given day because they made you reserve them weeks ahead (that’s what it takes to get an appointment). They have the exact number of needs except since some service centers are overwhelmed with services that they could not fix all the repairs timely enough to get the loaners back. With that, Enterprise would be an acceptable alternative to keep their sales pitch promise of a loaner.
May be they have not been able to pay Enterprise because of low cash that even Enterprise shut them off?

If you bought a Tesla expecting to have your salad tossed and feet kissed every time you're forced to emerge from your crystal cocoon and interact with the working class, you've been severely misled and would be far better off with the established luxury brands.

I expect Tesla do to what Tesla said they would do (over a year ago) - which is provide a P100D loaner.

If you think expecting them to simply follow thru on their statements is equivalent to wanting my feet kissed, then by all means have them pucker up.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and neroden
So they offered a car and driver to basically take you wherever you wanted and that wasn't good enough? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They offered a Lyft, which is quite different than offering a car and driver to take one wherever they want/need to go.

One such difference came into play when I found myself in a similar situation as the OP. I specifically moved the date of my appointment out so they could ensure I'd have a loaner available that day. Like the OP, when I drop my car off, they tell me they don't have any available. They act surprised that I'm unwilling to sit and wait hours for the car. Fortunately, I had no meetings scheduled for the day and my office was down the street, so a Lyft was fine with me. (That's another way a Lyft is different than giving one a car and driver, unless they were going to offer a Lyft to any and all outside meetings I had that day....but, this difference didn't come into play for me that day). They ended up needing to keep the car all day and at the end of the day they tell me my car is ready so they'll send me a Lyft to pick me up. Fine by me, accept because the Lyft's drivers kept canceling the trip. My guess is they didn't want to waste a rush hour ride on such a short trip. So I'm standing in the lobby watching Lyft find driver after driver each one canceling in a 3-5 minute cycle. Really frustrating as over 30 minutes pass by with no way to get back to my car. Luckily for me a co-worker came out and was able to give me a lift (punch intended).

That's a far cry from having a car and driver or a loaner vehicle (as originally promised) and a completely unacceptable experience given the fact that the appointment was scheduled specifically around my needs for a loaner.

So they offered a car and driver to basically take you wherever you wanted and that wasn't good enough? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you want to pay $3300 for a timing chain cover, by all means. (what lexus tried charging me)

But at least with a Lexus, you can go to other shops for cheaper quotes or buy parts and do it yourself if you are savvy enough. With Tesla, non-Tesla service places are non-existence.

That's a far cry from having a car and driver or a loaner vehicle (as originally promised) and a completely unacceptable experience given the fact that the appointment was scheduled specifically around my needs for a loaner.

It's unacceptable but not surprising.

Tesla doesn't care about service centers.

You should be thankful you can even get an appointment, unlike in Norway.

Reactions: neroden
A Tesla service experience today: there is some new home construction in our neighborhood and my front left tire on my White X picked up a nail and went flat.

Called my Florida contact late yesterday and she scheduled a call today.

The Ranger arrived at my home this morning with his service van along with a spare tire in case it couldn't be fixed (I only have 1K miles so a useless tire would have been bad).

In 30 minutes, he fixed the flat (in my garage so he could stay cool) and off he went.

Another great service experience with Tesla...........

I expect Tesla do to what Tesla said they would do (over a year ago) - which is provide a P100D loaner.
Yeah, this was a patently stupid thing to say. Blame it on the Ambien.

This just isn't a realistic expectation to set. It never was, and they never should have said it. Of course, in the long list of things Tesla has said but not done, it's probably not even in the top ten.

• Love
The same aspirational trait that made them build an amazing EV to challenge ICE cars is probably to blame for offering fully loaded P100D loaners. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

Or, you don't have to take the bad and get something else that doesn't have the bad that you don't like.

This happened to me twice already. I made my appointments two weeks and 4 weeks ahead of time respectively and requested loaner car. On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.
This is unheard of with high end car dealers such as MBZ, BMW or Audi. If they ran out of their own loaners, they would give you a rental from Enterprise. Spending a 100k for a car and got Toyota service does not sit well.
Is this happening everywhere or is it at Costa Mesa, California Center again. Please share your experience.
Thanks.
Tesla is in heavy cost-cutting mode in order to be able to generate a profit and push the stock value to the point where Musk can take the company private. This likely means Tesla will sell off the loaner fleet as CPOs.

The last few times I've taken my vehicle in for service, it was a mixed bag. The first two times, I got a loaner from Tesla. The last few times, it was a Tesla vehicle from Enterprise. It was at the Buena Park SC.

1. I think the service centers are at over capacity at times and the availability of loaners are limited
2. The length of time it takes from to fix issue or service a vehicle take too long, as the result, with a limited number of available vehicles to begin with, they are kept longer than usual
3. The service center quality of customer service sucks. At least at the Buena Park location for me. Costa Mesa gave me much better customer service. Thought they kinda of suck on the new vehicle delivery and lack proper vehicle check out
4. They need to have more service center locations to spread out these impacted locations. Hopefully that will help solve some of the shortage of available loaners
5. They need to improve their supply chain to get parts promptly, and that, in turn, can get car fixed faster and more available loaners
6. They need to improve their customer service quality, it sucks.

I booked my appt a month in advanced, they cancelled the day prior stating they proactively ordered the part to have in stock by the time I drop off the car (I’m guessing a month wasn’t enough time??), 3 weeks later I get a call that the part arrived to take the car in, I asked for a loaner which they said they will have one for me.
Next day I drop off the car at 8:30am (they open at 8am) and they tell me they run out of loaners and offered me a Lyft... yup so here I’m questioning their policy and why wasn’t made aware to which they reply if I don’t have another car, as if it is my fault... I then tell them to cancel and send a ranger to my place, the tech replies the screen cannot be replaced by a ranger so I told him to triple check as it has been done before... the very next week the ranger stops by my place and replaces the main screen.
All in all very disappointed about the experience.

• Love
We have sometimes received a loaner and other times not. Once an uber and once an Enterprise Tesla. Always made appointment and asked for one and reconfirmed near appt date we were expecting one. I think sometimes they are expecting cars to be back and available and either work takes long so prior person will hold onto the car longer or they don’t come back at the expected hour. We’ve run into the same issue though with our Toyota repair at dealer. And there we only ever got a Corolla to drive. Only ones they seemed to use for loaners. Will also point out that people also suddenly find themselves in kind of emergency situations and needing to get their car in quickly, once happened to to us when there was a problem with our charge port area and couldn’t charge and it was very much appreciated they got us right in and the part took a few days but we had a loaner to drive home and use during those few days.

Oh and while talking about frustrating service center visits, here’s one for you from a non-Tesla dealership. We had our car into a Toyota dealership 3 times for the same a/c work. Figured the dealership should be able to handle it. Still came back with the same problem. They took apart the dash, broke the clips holding it in place, tried fixing it with some type of double sided tape (their description to us) which didn’t hold over time necessitating return trips in to service, said the dashboard parts weren’t being manufactured any longer—our car was too old to fix basically from their standpoint, gave the car back to us not disclosing one of their people damaged the side passenger door (thankfully we saw before leaving the shop. They subsequently found on their surveillance cams the service personnel who hit it with another car — BTW get this, they made some noise when we pointed out the damage to them telling us that they should have walked the car to check for damage when we brought the car in to them—get what they were implying?!), they kept car and had to take it to a body shop to remove the dent and repaint...it goes on. Needless to say after this service and their throwing their hands up saying they weren’t going to do anything more, still have visible gap in dashboard where you can see light coming in from outside, we’d never buy another Toyota. Our last car was around $35+ I think so was top of the line at that point. They didn’t even offer anything to offset the damage they did and loss of money when we trade it in. Toyota headquarters told us that there’s not much they can do, they only manufacture the cars and it’s really up to the dealership for service. Under extreme circumstances they can revolk a dealership permit but this wouldn’t be one of them.

So instead of two Toyotas like we’ve had, we’ll now be driving two Teslas and having more fun doing so. They lost out big time on us replacing our vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Yeah, this was a patently stupid thing to say. Blame it on the Ambien.

This just isn't a realistic expectation to set. It never was, and they never should have said it. Of course, in the long list of things Tesla has said but not done, it's probably not even in the top ten.

Offer it as a perk for a P100D buyer.

3SR gets 10 dollar rental credit towards a Corolla.

My SC explained (at least in MA) that loaners are different between a dealership and a manufacturer. With Tesla being a manufacturer, they can only utilize used or traded cars as loaners. Since they also sell these, combined with unexpected SC delays, there are many times times that best efforts fail to provide a tesla loaner for a new scheduled SC appt. iCE rentals and lyft are workarounds to this dynamic problem. It seems they would love to avoid disappointment and conspiracy theories, rather drop everyone in a new tesla for marketing reasons. Maybe when M3 ramps up and tax credits are no longer an issue we will see tesla buying SC loaners.