Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which makes perfect sense. No reason to be giving people that close to the factory VINs yet. They can easily wait another week and still deliver in the quarter. I think the last two weeks of the quarter is going to be all Bay Area people (hey, it's the 30th. Here's your VIN, can you pick it up tomorrow?)

I agree, with one caveat. They still do have to deliver before quarter end. While many people will drop everything to get their car, some might not be able to react so quickly.

I agree, with one caveat. They still do have to deliver before quarter end. While many people will drop everything to get their car, some might not be able to react so quickly.
I spoke to my ISA and since I have to travel for 2 weeks from mid march to April, I was trying to make arrangements for early April delivery. Apparently, once a VIN is assigned, they are only giving customers 7 days to schedule a delivery date, if it is not scheduled, the VIN gets released.

To SBDenali's point, it is not just the customer's availability but also the ability to process all the paperwork (loan/final payment)/delivery center schedule to ensure that they can delivery by month end. For those paying cash, this is easy, but those having to coordinate with banks, there is an extra step. So even if you're assigned the last week of march, they still have to ensure all the logistics to get it actually delivered by end of march.

Given the above, likely scenario is that they can't wait past March 15th to assign all the VIN's in CA. Need to give themselves some cushion to ensure all that is assigned is actually delivered by end of March. Having said that, it really is function of whether the cars are actually done and whether production bottlenecks are existent post installation of new equipment.

I'm going to give Tesla a call if I don't hear from them today. Disabled the Mr. Number app on my iPhone to make sure it doesn't accidentally block the call from them!

Are you getting your car from Springfield?

Attachments

• Model 3.jpg
    Model 3.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: PoitNarf
Just got back from Tesla Springfield . Saw a Blue / Aero coming off the truck. I thought it was mine. Was so excited. Nope. Not my VIN. It was a 7XXX so if anyone is waiting for this one.....your car may have arrived.

I was planning on picking up from Springfield since it's the closest one. Sending you a direct message about that now!

I'm a little different in that I live in CT, but I'm buying in NY (can't purchase in CT yet!), and my understanding is that you pay the tax on the vehicle in the state you purchase it, then you register the car in the state you are living in. No need to pay tax in your state (other than you yearly road tax). In CT we can actually claim the $3k state rebate even though we purchase in NY.

If that’s true then it may be worth it to look into taking delivery in NJ instead. No sales tax on EVs in NJ :D

From DMV Buying a Car Out of State | DMV.ORG

4. Sales Taxes

Even though you're buying a car from out of state, you'll pay the sales tax to the state in which you'll register the car—i.e. your home state.

Sometimes, dealerships handle this process for you and pass along the sales tax to your home state; still, you should always keep records that you paid the sales tax to show your state's title and registration office. Keep in mind the dealership will probably calculate the taxes based on their home state's tax rates. If your state has higher rates, you will be responsible for paying the difference when registering your car.

However, if the dealership doesn't handle it for you, or you buy a car from a private party, you must pay the sales tax to your home state's appropriate state agency before you can title and register the vehicle.

Your state's motor vehicle agency will advise you on specific sales taxes; however, some states provide tax calculators online for extra convenience. Check our Tax & Tags Calculator to determine your state's vehicle tax and tags fees.

Unfortunately, ya' gotta pay taxes in the state where it's registered. I'm also in CT and I'll most likely pick up in NY (Mt. Kisco). I'm hoping the Mt. Kisco location charges me the CT sales tax rate and not NY state tax rate. If they do charge NY state rate, you have to file for a refund from NY and just show proof that you paid same or more in taxes to CT DMV when you register.

Also, in CT, if your car is morethan $50k, the sales tax rate goes up to 7.75%.

User sid0116 updated his/her entry on the spreadsheet noting a VIN date of 3/9 (today), VIN 9923. Deep Blue Metallic, Sport Wheels, NJ delivery.

Highest VIN I've seen. Almost to 10,000! Looks like VINs 9300-9999 are all 19-inch wheels. There was a run of aeros around 8700-8900, but there are quite a few VIN gaps sub-9000 that I expect to see filled in here in the next week or so. We'll also likely see our first 10000+ early next week.

Progress! Hoping the prevailing theory that aeros and West Coast deliveries are coming.

Configured 2/22
Black/Aero/FSD
Los Angeles
No VIN yet