TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No recent VIN assignments?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by evforme, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

One would think that paint color issue could have been fixed already since Dec if it was just a bad batch. I'm not familiar with painting, is there such a thing as the painting process altering the color of the paint even if the paint is from the same batch? Is it possible that the machine that painted the bumper is mismatched to the machine that painted the fender?

2. vigge50

vigge50 Member

As there is two that have reported 98xx we maybe have a higher but we don’t know for sure until someone mention it.

3. McHoffa

McHoffa Active Member

I don't know how it works, but someone scraped the side of my wife's white Optima about 5 years ago and after the body shop fixed it, we got it back and the white looked just slightly different after it cured. Had to take it back and the next time you couldn't tell it had ever been fixed. He said that happens with some of the white paint sometimes, so who knows how common it is.

• Informative x 1
  4. nonstickrobot

nonstickrobot Member

I'm with you. Black, aero, EAP. Config 2/4. No VIN. Black has not had a run since the 4000s, it seems.

5. David L

David L Member

It is very common for pearl white to not match. This problem is not specific to Tesla. When I had the bumper on my pearl white car (not a Tesla) replaced, the body shop had to blend the paint up the surrounding panels in order to reduce the mismatch. Afterward, the body shop manager showed me that their paint job matched the surrounding panels better than the factory paint job on the front bumper. Also, I recently saw a 2018 Honda Accord in pearl white with mismatch much, much worse than You You's car.

6. Nurkbonis

Nurkbonis Member

Guess I have experience with this. I had a pearl white jeep years ago. I was rear ended, and the body shop I used didn't seem to care that the repainted hatch was a very different shade of white. I made them repaint it. Looked good the second time. I will rejoice like a giddy school girl when we start to see white VINs popping up again.

7. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

VIN showed up this morning for my brother's mid-February configure. Interesting it's in the 69XXs whereas we've seen higher in the wild already...

• Like x 2
  8. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Can we get more specs? I.e. location/ color etc..it would be interesting if they start assigning VINs in california

• Like x 1
  9. nonstickrobot

nonstickrobot Member

Yes, yes it would be! *crosses fingers*

• Like x 1
  10. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

Texas delivery - midnight silver color - aero wheels - configured on 2/14. (California Owner's reservation - Dec 2016)

11. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I hope they didn't finish a batch of midnight silver just now. I'm hoping to receive my invite today and I don't know if my heart can handle another extended wait.

12. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

My worry that Multi-coat Red would also be hard to match is partly the reason I've decided to get a full wrap.

13. valkeriefire

valkeriefire Member

Model S owner, Configured 2/17, Las Vegas delivery, still no VIN. Expecting it any day hopefully. Lots of people who configured after me have been assigned VINs but it does appear they are all mid-west or east coasters. Hopefully west coast is coming any day now. I suppose they could hold off for another week or more though and still make 1st quarter if they truly are prioritizing east coast orders at the moment. The delivery centers will busy at the end of the month getting us all through.

14. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

I'm in Tysons Corner, VA

15. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Yes there is. Metallics and pearls can be affected by the procedure used in painting. Metallics much more than pearls. The difference you see in the picture is similar to differences found on many Japanese cars. Acura has been especially bad at times. Also, if a flexibilizer is used on the skins, it can cause a color shift. Surprisingly, many people can’t even see the difference.

• Informative x 2
  16. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Do we have any pattern to VIN to call from Tesla?

or duration specifically?

17. LV Acrobat

LV Acrobat Member

I got called before VIN assigned. ordered same day as you, same config. no vin

18. LV Acrobat

LV Acrobat Member

I ordered 2/14 and no VIN also Vegas. Our cars will most likely get on a truck together and I assume get VIN together.

19. nonstickrobot

nonstickrobot Member

And black cars :)

• Like x 1
  20. nonstickrobot

nonstickrobot Member

Will be interesting to see which one of us gets their VIN and car first.

Black aero, 2/4, sf bay.

• Like x 1