Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I got a call from Tesla (Nevada), don't really know what for. They told me that after I get VIN, I will need to get insurance. Okay? They also said to expect delivery in 4-6 weeks. It's been already four weeks: ordered 1/26, silver, 18" aero, CT, still no VIN. Sounds like another two weeks, at least. Anybody else got this kind of call?

I got a call from my DS a few days ago, but I believe that was prompted by me calling in asking how I can change my registration address from what I initially locked in. He called me to confirm it was updated and that delivery should happen soon after my VIN is assigned, but said nothing about insurance. I had already submitted my insurance through the account, but the insurance does not yet cover the Model 3 obviously without a VIN.

With respect to VIN assignment. I'm guessing it's already been proven but just wanted to note that a friend of mine ordered the same day I did and ultimately took delivery on the same day that I did. His VIN was 43XX and door plate showed as manufactured February 2018. My VIN was 54XX and door plate showed manufactured January 2018. The VIN and manufacture month are stamped on the same door plate.

So I configured my car on the 15th and have not received a VIN, despite the sales associate saying it should be "imminent". I was starting to get worried but looking at the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet, it looks like very few VINs have been assigned for people who have configured in the last few weeks. Filtering by configuraiton date, I see 68 configured cars since January 6th, but only 9 vin assignments (~13%). Do we know what's going on to cause the delays?

This was the first posting. Click the link above for the spreadsheet.