Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, no soul?

Will you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a S & X, I definitely do not miss engine sounds. They sound dirty and annoying to me now. I think most people come to love the near silence of an electric car, especially after they experience instant torque.

The only reason I will miss engine noise is for the sake of my daughter who is legally blind. She can hear cars coming a lot easier when they make a racket. Other than that, no thanks--bring on the self-driving silent cars!

Reactions: AUSinator
The silent thrust of the S is awe-inspiring, but, to most gearheads, there's a melodic quality to certain engine sounds. It's not about being loud, but the timbre that is unique to various marques. For instance, a Ferrari V12 has a distinct note, as does the Porsche flat 6.

And then there's the Porsche flat 12. Ah, the beautiful sound of the 917/30. Oh yeah, that one is loud, too. :)

Reactions: rEVhappy
Like many of you I have reserved a TM3.I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me, won't you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust? I know 99% of the time, you really don't want to be hearing those sorts of sounds but that 1% of the time when you want to open it up and hear the engine hitting the limiter, the turbo waste gate fluttering. I wish that an EV had that drama just once in a while. I think without those sounds the car has no soul or character. Maybe eventually you will get a in car app which will play those sounds through the speakers, not the same I know
Ever heard the sound of a three-phase inverter variable-frequency drive throwing hundreds of kW at an AC motor? Especially when it's accelerating ... best sound ever. Very quiet, rather unassuming, and crazy powerful.

I'm a total circuithead and not a gearhead at all, I know. Sorry. :cool:

Reactions: Spacela
Ev's are quiet, but they are not silent. There are still fun whirring noises, but the completely different delivery of the power will very quickly make you not give a poo about the sound the car is not making. I switched from a tuned BMW M3 to a Leaf and don't miss all the racket one bit.
That's an interesting leap I have not heard of before. BMW ---> Leaf. I'm curious why, if you don't mind me asking. :)

I am a motorhead. In the past, I did love the sound of the engine, exhaust, etc. I can still appreciate a car that makes those classic, vintage sounds too.

But the Tesla (Model S is the only one I've driven so far) is another world. A seamless, clean, quiet turbine-like sound that just keeps going and going. No gears, no backlash, no slop. Just smooth otherworldly power - like a force of nature. Gravity-like.

From my first drive there was no doubt in my mind that electric motors were the way to power a car.

I always assumed I would own my NSX forever (see avatar). I loved that car. Smooth, economical, handled great. Honda reliability. But the Tesla is the only car I've driven in the past 15 years that would make me consider making the switch.

OK. If a person blasts noise around them so loud you can hear them a block away, and they justify it by calling it "exciting their senses," what would you call them? A really nice guy? Or an ahole? I submit to you that odds are they aren't a nice guy.

That's why I call it a social warning. "The driver of this vehicle is a complete and utter ahole. Adjust your interactions accordingly."

Well, I'm pretty sure that the OP gets the idea by now. Once you have real power at your disposal, there's no more need to tell everybody around you about it.

And to the OP: Just because we drive EVs does not mean that many of us are NOT gear-heads. Quite the opposite is true. In many cases we are driving EVs because we are gear-heads. Being a gear-head does not equate to needing to hear a "throaty roar" to tell us that we're heavy on the go-pedal. It turns out, having real go is much better than listening for the sound of slow inefficiency.

The silent thrust of the S is awe-inspiring, but, to most gearheads, there's a melodic quality to certain engine sounds. It's not about being loud, but the timbre that is unique to various marques. For instance, a Ferrari V12 has a distinct note, as does the Porsche flat 6.

And then there's the Porsche flat 12. Ah, the beautiful sound of the 917/30. Oh yeah, that one is loud, too. :)

Nothing like the sound of Lambo Gallardo at 3000 rpm and then the full open throttle rev
intoxicating.:cool:
At times quiet is awesome and other times give me the noise maker...lol

Last edited:
If I had switched to a regular ICE car from my 2011 Mustang GT, I might would miss the V8 sound (most ICE cars do not make pleasant sounds like the ICE muscle and supercars). But the S is so cool already and it does make a futuristic whirring sound under hard acceleration, so I'm perfectly happy with it and don't miss the V8 sound.

There's also something to be said for not irritating non-gear-heads with the noise from my exuberant launches.

Tesla thus follows the wisdom of Theodore Roosevelt (who himself got it from an old proverb): speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Reactions: AUSinator and DaveD
OK. If a person blasts noise around them so loud you can hear them a block away, and they justify it by calling it "exciting their senses," what would you call them? A really nice guy? Or an ahole? I submit to you that odds are they aren't a nice guy.

That's why I call it a social warning. "The driver of this vehicle is a complete and utter ahole. Adjust your interactions accordingly."

I'd call them a person with a loud car?

I'd call them a person with a loud car?

I bet you'd call them something else if they moved next to you.

I'd say calling everyone who likes a loud engine "a-holes" is painting with a pretty broad brush.

I don't think he's saying that. But haven't we all been startled (and even jumped) by the loud roar of someone's engine to the extent that the term arsehole (or worse) runs through your mind? When I've been with people and it happens the reaction is almost instant and similar words come out of their mouth. It's usually an extremely loud Harley but also happens with other vehicles. That's totally different than the purring sound of a nicely tuned engine.

I bet you'd call them something else if they moved next to you.

I don't think he's saying that. But haven't we all been startled (and even jumped) by the loud roar of someone's engine to the extent that the term arsehole (or worse) runs through your mind? When I've been with people and it happens the reaction is almost instant and similar words come out of their mouth. It's usually an extremely loud Harley but also happens with other vehicles. That's totally different than the purring sound of a nicely tuned engine.

That's exactly what he said:
"I treat it a social warning. "Warning. The person driving this vehicle is a complete and utter ahole."

No, I hear loud cars all the time but I guess it rarely ever bothers me. I've known or interacted with plenty of nice people with loud vehicles. Of course, I've always enjoyed cars of various flavors so maybe that's the difference.

Reactions: rEVhappy