Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot that by then they just have a month rather than x-y weeks…

Well, if you were to get it at the beginning of October I wouldn’t expect to see a VIN until mid-late September, and if you were to get it at the end of a October I wouldn’t expect to see a VIN until mid October…

Reactions: Jay316
When I get annoyed I remember the original delivery estimate on the ordering page and take heart that if I count from when I completed my profile my EDD is still within that 9-12 weeks promised.

As for the free market and consumers, what you’re seeing is similar to a monopoly (the only decent EV at this price point) and therefore we have no choice than to put up with it. This is why pure free markers don’t work, you need government legislation to avoid ending up with Standard Oil or Ma Bell.
Now in reality it isn’t a monopoly, there are other EVs available and some are very good, but even if there weren’t it would be because legacy car makers simply refuse to make them. So in this case the free market is working fine. We just want the market leaders product so I look forward to the market leader changing over time as that’s when we as consumers win.
All good points however being the leader in a market doesn’t mean you can’t provide better communication. Eventually that’s going to come back to bite them. It took me a good 5 minutes to find a number to call on the site to even ask a question. SA’s are not trained in service, just sales, hence the lack of response or information. They need some advancement in order customer service. Just a person that we could talk to about the process and a bit more info on what to expect. We’re just left to ordering a $60k vehicle on a website and holding our breath until Elon sheds his light upon us with a VIN. They could provide better estimates - there’s a certain number of orders and a certain number of vehicles they can produce. Anyone could figure that out. Increased customer service would go a helluva long way towards supplanting Tesla as the standard in EV’s for years to come. But for now we just grin and take it. But hey - that’s what we signed up for right?

Oh I completely agree with you.
While they try and get rid of the dealer model (which I’m fine with, I consider this akin to an Apple store) they are proving that dealers have their uses due to being able to speak to someone etc (this is where they haven’t copied Apple’s customer service sadly).
They’re getting away with it due to a lack of competition in the market, what is there at present doesn’t really come close.
As legacy car makers pull their fingers out that will hopefully change, and it will definitely have to when the Chinese brands arrive. I already prefer the look of many of their cars, and as I understand it fit and finish is better and range isn’t that far behind while being a lot cheaper.
Competition would be good!

Yep; October now

I'm starting to hate this company - and it makes me wonder: If they are so hopeless at this, let's face it, fairly easy task, where are they failing in their main business? I'm starting to wonder if I really want this vehicle

I remember Bob Lutz from GM in The Revenge of the Electric Car documentary saying something like:
These Silicon Valley guys make fun of us saying we build cars in great big factories with loads of workers and if they just apply Moore’s law etc…
But what they’re learning is that mass production and making money at is is not easy.

And for all their failings and complacency he’s right.

I was watching a recent tour video of Starbase in Texas where Musk was saying that both in terms of the car and the rockets, the designing part is easy, it’s 100x more work to get the mass production up and running correctly. The time and cost of the designing part is a rounding error by comparison.

We’ll all get our cars eventually. Personally I think their publishing of EDDs that move every few days and recalculate every week or even month is not doing them any favors even though the transparency is well intentioned. Musk should know from years in IT and business that if you give someone a date range for a project they only hear the first date, and woe betide you ever move it.
If they think it will be produced in for example the last week of August to last but one week of September they should just say “September” and leave it at that and so on.
That way we don’t complain unless it changes once to October and we’re not happy that once. If they do move it back they could also fire out an automated email with an apology. Or it arrives early and we’re happy.
From their brand perception point of view that would be better than moving dates back and forth constantly.
I check a few times per day and get very frustrated if it even moved back one day as my spreadsheet counts the number of days until EDD so to see it increase is a downer, even though I know I’m still within the original time estimate at point of order…

Reactions: chand and MSHampton
October yesterday as with most of y’all.

Now up to 8/24 - 9/13. Expecting to see a VIN soon hopefully.

In related news, have a quote for $925 for the 14-50 plug install. Expected a high number because of the distance from my panels to the garage but this is $1k less than the first quote from one of the others recommended on the Tesla site. He said most of the cost is material, as he needs between 105 to 120 feet of 8/3 romex wiring which is over $400. Can’t see it getting much better than that unless I run the wire myself which would be comical to say the least.

Well, check again @LoneStarEve:p
It appears like the EDD algorithm requires much more tuning, pushing everyone to October; maybe slightest production disruptions are making it act erratically.

In related news, have a quote for $925 for the 14-50 plug install. Expected a high number because of the distance from my panels to the garage but this is $1k less than the first quote from one of the others recommended on the Tesla site. He said most of the cost is material, as he needs between 105 to 120 feet of 8/3 romex wiring which is over $400. Can’t see it getting much better than that unless I run the wire myself which would be comical to say the least.
My electrician used 6/4 romex. 8/3 is only rated for 40amps. If you want at least a 50amp breaker you'll need 6 gauge wire. I'd suggest you get another quote. I'm in the country and like you, my panel is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. I paid just under $1400 for my plug. I really wanted a 60amp, but my electrician said that would be a big jump in price because of the cost of the wire. Since it didn't provide a big jump in charging speed, I settled on the 50 amp.

But I would definatley check on the 8/3 vs 6/4 wire for sure.

Reactions: LoneStarEve