Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician used 6/4 romex. 8/3 is only rated for 40amps. If you want at least a 50amp breaker you'll need 6 gauge wire. I'd suggest you get another quote. I'm in the country and like you, my panel is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. I paid just under $1400 for my plug. I really wanted a 60amp, but my electrician said that would be a big jump in price because of the cost of the wire. Since it didn't provide a big jump in charging speed, I settled on the 50 amp.

But I would definatley check on the 8/3 vs 6/4 wire for sure.

Very good points and increasing the gauge of the wiring is an expensive business these days, and the longer the run…
I don’t actually know what cable my guy used truth be told l, he did say but I forgot l, but I was clear that I wanted to be able to pull 40A continuous and have a 50A breaker and that’s what he fitted.

It’s worth noting that if you use the mobile connector that comes with the car to plug in you only pull 32A max and therefore only need a 40A breaker and cabling for that.

If you buy the more expensive corded mobile connector you can pull 40A and need a 50A breaker and the updated cabling for that. This is the option I’m going with.

If you want to use the wall connector to its maximum ability you need 60A breaker and even thicker cabling, 18 feet of which I believe comes with the wall connector?

Hello everyone!

Im scheduled to pick up my MYLR tomorrow at 3pm at the Plano Texas SC. The review agreements button is still grayed out for me so I haven’t been able to pay. I was told it will show up within 24hours of my appointment. This is really stressing me out as my SA is not answering any of my texts or emails. I really don’t want this car to be given to someone else since I haven’t had the chance to pay it yet. Has anyone experienced this before??

It shouldn’t depend on cost. I’ve been quoted 150 by one who’s giving me a higher quote and said it is needed and 205 by the one who gave a lower quote and said it is not needed.
I talked to one who quoted $250 without permit and told me it would be $300 more to get a permit. Not sure how true it is. Appreciate any leads on finding an electrician. I’m kind of getting close to my delivery and need to get it installed.
@LoneStarEve I contacted your guy Tracy but found better rates after shopping around. But he was nice.
Need to make a decision soon.

I talked to one who quoted $250 without permit and told me it would be $300 more to get a permit. Not sure how true it is. Appreciate any leads on finding an electrician. I’m kind of getting close to my delivery and need to get it installed.
@LoneStarEve I contacted your guy Tracy but found better rates after shopping around. But he was nice.
Need to make a decision soon.
Try Good faith energy. They are bit expensive but great reviews on google and told me they’ll pull permits and include needed tesla adapter in their quote.

I’m yet to use their services myself though…

Reactions: gkmanu8
I received my EDD yesterday, a week after my VIN as 08/13-08/19 and delivery scheduling text today. Only options I had for delivery were 08/19,08/20,08/21 - 10AM & 5PM. I was told initially that the car will be arriving Dallas on 10th. But now, I was told that it'll arrive on 16th. But hence as I received the delivery text, I went ahead and applied for my loan with DCU and got 1.49% as pre approval after providing VIN.

@Maliks I actually found an electrician from my community's FB page. He's right behind my house and mentioned it is a fairly easy install and should cost around $200 (parts & labor). Upon asking about permit, he mentioned - Don't need one to add to a dedicated circuit. Only, if we're needing to turn the entire power off to the house, which we don't need to do.

I'll keep you posted if I go ahead with him.

I received my EDD yesterday, a week after my VIN as 08/13-08/19 and delivery scheduling text today. Only options I had for delivery were 08/19,08/20,08/21 - 10AM & 5PM. I was told initially that the car will be arriving Dallas on 10th. But now, I was told that it'll arrive on 16th. But hence as I received the delivery text, I went ahead and applied for my loan with DCU and got 1.49% as pre approval after providing VIN.

@Maliks I actually found an electrician from my community's FB page. He's right behind my house and mentioned it is a fairly easy install and should cost around $200 (parts & labor). Upon asking about permit, he mentioned - Don't need one to add to a dedicated circuit. Only, if we're needing to turn the entire power off to the house, which we don't need to do.

Interested in the electricians info as well if you don't mind sharing

Pls do share his contact details. Did you ask him what he’s gonna charge if he pulls permit too.