Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, my EDD just updated and shifted out as well ... having the outside date shift out from Sep 9 to the 16th is most frustrating. This is a July 4 order with the profile complete the same day. :confused:

EDD: Aug 31 - Sep 16

What really bites is that we have planned our fall vacation with the understanding that we would have the MY by then (middle of Sept). Already have routes planned out (road trip) including the Natchez Trace Trail, out to Chattanooga, TN, and back to Texas. Trip won't be near as much of an adventure with my CRV. If I get it by the 17th, that won't provide any shake-out time before the road trip.

Moved back to Sep 10th to Sep 30th.
I’m not surprised at this point…

I placed an order for a Mini Cooper SE (electric) for the wife yesterday. Mini are quoting 12 weeks on it as a build to order. My wife joked it will get here before the Tesla. She may actually be right…

• Funny
Reactions: MSHampton
Wait, Mini Cooper now has an electric option? Let me go check them out!

It does but it has a very small battery, about 100 - 150 miles range (75mph highway vs 45mph city) in real world use. So it’s no road tripper.

But we will have the Y for that and the wife uses her car 99% of the time to go to work and the grocery store etc locally so she willl only use 15% of that range on a daily basis.

The furtherest she’s ever been is Denton (35 miles) and the car would make the trip there and back twice on one charge.

For fun I used A Better Route Planner to see what it would be like to make a 5hr, 260 mile trip to Houston and it would require two charging stops at 30mins each so very doable for her even though she’s never likely to make such a trip.
However the 10 hour gas drive to Albuquerque, NM would become 19 hours with charging stops according to A Better Route Planner so interstate travel is really a no-no unless you're very determined and have a lot time to spare. But again, we have the Y for that which would do it in 11-11.5 hours.

Due to the $7500 tax rebate and the high residual value of her 2 year old low mile Kia Soul (basically we only lost $2k on it) we can get her into a brand new Mini EV for just $3,500. So we’d own a car 2 years newer with a lot more features, much more premium build and materials, more fun to drive plus being an EV so easier for her to deal with (she hates going to the gas station and has no idea re maintenance). We’re also on a free electricity at night plan so she won’t be paying anything for gas just like me with the Y.
The fact she has always loved the Mini looks makes it a win.

If Biden’s new EV tax bill passes then people could get the new 240 mile range Chevy Bolt for $2k less than the Mini with two extra doors and a bigger trunk (which my wife thinks is hideous). But we wouldn’t be eligible for it so it’s not relevant to us. In fact I’m racing to try and get the Mini before we lose access to the $7500 credit.

I expect very poor residual value on such a short range EV but we intend to keep it for years so it doesn’t matter to us.

Last edited:
Ordered: 5/30 -- VIN: 8/9 -- Scheduled Delivery: Tomorrow 8/20
MYLR White on Black + Wheels

Once I got the Tesla Vision question on my account page to continue, I got a vin within a couple days. I don't know if that's been everyone's experience. I was worried about down payment using ACH from Chase Checking using their online payment form. I had no issues. I believe I read online that Chase ACH has daily limits of $25k or $50k depending on account type. It was just under $25k so maybe that's why.

Fingers crossed there are no issues tomorrow. In Texas I was told cashier's check in person for down payment wasn't an option so i'd have to likely A) deny delivery and go back into the queue while they hold my down payment or B) cancel, ask for refund, and wait another ~60 days to get money back. Both options suck.

Reactions: TesslAshanti