Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a Fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw my first "refreshed" Model S up close and personal today and I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new froot, which is now vestigial indeed. There naturally should be an option to have a second motor (or rather a single motor) but not that horrendous waste of space for the HEPA filter assembly (present or not). In my humble opinion, there may be two significant things that make the "classic" Tesla re-sale value hold up well. First is the larger froot in single (or double motor) cars and the second is the second charger to make up 22kW charging capacity. The latter, will in the long run be less useful as charging points proliferate.

I await the "slings and arrows" now :eek:

I don't mind the general appearance and the new lights though :p

There might be another reason for keeping the smaller size; we won't know until someone has all the coverings off and takes a bunch of photos.

With the D transition, they moved the 12V battery up to the center of the firewall and made it larger (was in the passenger side fender in a very awkward place.) That took a few inches of extra depth up top.

Obviously the HEPA filter takes a bunch of space, but there might be other things that moved which require the smaller opening...

There is a Sydney agent for Unplugged Performance. David Becker. [email protected].
I guess you can order any of their products through him.
I am planning on installing the bumper cover myself with Ztrekus' help. The two of us have had his bumper off twice and mine once. We have also removed the headlights and replaced the ballasts and bulbs on both our cars with a view to improving light output ( which it has).
I will have it sprayed up at an upmarket smash repair place that I have used a few times before with other cars.
Cost for the bumper without paint is $5479.36 I had a ball park quote for spraying for $750. If you get the panel beater to install for you, probably another $750.
Hope this helps. Given that this is an aftermarket non OEM product, Tesla won't touch it.
It would help to tell a panel beater how to dismantle the froot, but that can be found on this site with photos and videos, which is how Ztekus and I started out. Both of us have learned a great deal about how the car is put together. Ztrekus additionally installed a light bar, which I helped him with.

There is a Sydney agent for Unplugged Performance. David Becker. [email protected].
I guess you can order any of their products through him.
I am planning on installing the bumper cover myself with Ztrekus' help. The two of us have had his bumper off twice and mine once. We have also removed the headlights and replaced the ballasts and bulbs on both our cars with a view to improving light output ( which it has).
I will have it sprayed up at an upmarket smash repair place that I have used a few times before with other cars.
Cost for the bumper without paint is $5479.36 I had a ball park quote for spraying for $750. If you get the panel beater to install for you, probably another $750.
Hope this helps. Given that this is an aftermarket non OEM product, Tesla won't touch it.
It would help to tell a panel beater how to dismantle the froot, but that can be found on this site with photos and videos, which is how Ztekus and I started out. Both of us have learned a great deal about how the car is put together. Ztrekus additionally installed a light bar, which I helped him with.
If you search google there are also instructions on removing other parts of the car including the side skirts, which as far as I recall mainly clip on but may have a few screws as well.

Saw a refresh on the road for the first time today. The daytime running lights are a serious disappointment. Only the vertical and lower horizontal sections are lit. Top horizontal is very dim - spoils the whole look. The light outline is a major feature of my car as far as I am concerned.

Actually I never liked the old style "grill" The whole car looks sleek but then you look at the front and it looks like it was taken off some other car, sort of slapped on. Maybe to give it a Kitt car look? No need for air intake so why make it look that way? Could be it was too soon for the EV look and Tesla didn't want to take that chance. The re-fresh along with the 60 pricing is the key reasons why I purchased.
I agree on the frunk space. I did not get the HEPA filter but still cannot use the space it was intended for.

Reactions: strykeroz
Cost for the bumper without paint is $5479.36 I had a ball park quote for spraying for $750.

Wow $5479.36 + $750.

I ordered a colour nosecone from Karstyle for $799 but a few weeks later was notified that the factory damaged the production tool & it was no longer available. Due to their inability to deliver the nosecone, they offered to send me their entire Facelift bumper already painted for the same price - $799 + freight. I said I would let them know. Having seen the price of the other option, I’d better gratefully accept their kind offer. Not sure what they’re retailing for but I think considerably less than $6,000.

Wow $5479.36 + $750.

I ordered a colour nosecone from Karstyle for $799 but a few weeks later was notified that the factory damaged the production tool & it was no longer available. Due to their inability to deliver the nosecone, they offered to send me their entire Facelift bumper already painted for the same price - $799 + freight. I said I would let them know. Having seen the price of the other option, I’d better gratefully accept their kind offer. Not sure what they’re retailing for but I think considerably less than $6,000.
They are quoting $2500 USD at present without shipping, which is what is killing the price of UP's product here. Anything shipped from the USA in my experience is exorbitant. If you can get the product for the price you quote, I say go for it. I have written to them asking for a quote and will publish the reply here. UP's price is just under $3000USD.

Last edited:
Everyone is different in their needs. I have yet to put a single thing in the frunk. I open it only to show ice friends. So it matters little to me. Maybe someday, but not today.
I've used it when we had a car full of people and luggage to bring back from the airport. The full size frunk/froot on a RWD car can fit 2-3 soft bags or a full size carry-on bag plus a smaller one in the microwave space. All the larger bags in the trunk/boot. Otherwise people would have had bags on their laps.

The looks of "all of these bags will never fit in a sedan" fell away after a careful game of luggage Tetris!

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser