Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not so sure anymore if I should get the P100D when I read all these threads...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think OP should update his location so we can see what service might be like for him.

I've been once (16 months, 25k miles). They gave me a P85 (no AP but not shabby). The car was done later that day and they swapped my car out at my work. I was unavailable and they left the key at the front desk. They swapped my gym clothes and a few other things.

Never has BMW done that for me. My blood boiled in my 2 years of 545 ownership. I had a 2 week loaner after the first day of ownership. I went to the dealer 8 times (estimate) in 2 years - brake fluid change, software updates, multiple oil changes, real problems, returns for dealer caused problems. Swore I'd never buy a BMW again - and I haven't. Never once did BMW change out my car at work.

The Tesla experience for me has been pure luxury.

We shouldn't paint such a broad stroke here. Sure the CA experience has showed a lot of growing pains.

Just went back and looked and the skiing reference and traffic seems to be LA.

So, I'm about to lease a P100D ($150,000) and I'm exited about it. Well, I was...until I started doing my research. I'm unsure for a couple reasons. The main reason is the delay of AP update info. IMHO this tweet by the CEO was completely unprofessional. But what's worse is that no one followed up that tweet. Or have you guys heard from anyone at Tesla? I'm not interested in the car at all if Autopilot will be limited in the update.
The way Tesla handles their news releases is more amateur than a 3 person web design shop. What are they thinking? Is it a bunch of millennials playing Pokemon all day? Certainly not the head PR guy, because he left yesterday...
How about a courtesy update?

Another reason is the switch from being a long time BMW, Mercedes, Porsche customer and about the Tesla customer service experience. I have read many scary reports of customers whose Teslas are in repair for weeks and weeks, and they get handed some shitty rental car and are told to wait....

When I buy a $150k Mercedes or BMW, then I get extremely good treatment. I get a luxury car as a loaner, they even drive me home, and so on. The car will be fixed the fastest time possible and even hardcore problems don't take longer than a week to get fixed. Their parts system is superb, their logistics work and I have my car back in no time. In the meantime I have an equally good car from the same manufacturer at my disposal. Every single time.
The service is very good with a car in the 50's k price range, and superb in the 150k range. It's like getting a room in a grand hotel. You are getting VIP treatment if you spend the money for the top suite.

Not to with Tesla. Tesla treats everyone the same, they told me. Sounds great, but this means that p100D owners don't get superior but only mediocre service, otherwise it's not sustainable.
As an example, I still need to pay $100 for Tesla to tow my 150k Tesla to service. And I don't get a comparable luxury Tesla, no, some freaking Enterprise rental car, even though I bought a $150,000 ultra luxury car. And it truly is, because the interior of the 150k Models is, except the seats no different than the 70k Models S. Which is ridiculous imho...

Not only do I get premium service with the Euro Car Companies, but I also get amazing lifestyle offers. As an example, I own a BMW I8, with the I8 came a special club membership that offers amazing events every month. From guest access Coachella and racing at the nearby racetrack to America's cup VIP access to Art Basel Miami access. It's awesome. But that's a whole different story...

To make the long story short, I'm ok to drive a 150k car that has the interior of a 40k car and maybe not exactly the service standard of other manufacturers, as long as I have the current AP in it ( I go skiing every weekend and just want to be a passive driver on the 4 hour *sugar* show back home ).
Owners of P90D who have had other luxury cars before, how satisfied are you with the Tesla ownership when it comes to repair, maintenance,.,. Is it as bad as I think it is, do you have regrets or are you happy, maybe happier than with your former BMW, Mercedes, whatever. Thanks ;O)
You're not in any way "wrong" to feel as you do, but if you really do feel this way then Tesla may very well be the wrong choice of car
for you. It seems like what you're looking for and what Tesla ownership offers may not be a very good match.

A few things:
1. This forum is a magnifying glass for everything Tesla. Both the good and bad, but we all know what gets talked about the most. Just like family!
2. It is not a luxury car, but more so the most reliable supercar/exotic in the world that you can buy while wearing your underwear, for 1/10th the price.
3. You can do things, driving things, easily, that you can't do any any other car. At least not without making large unwanted amounts of copious noise.
4. You have this forum. Hissy fits aside, it has been a tremendous and positive resource. If you read between the lines, there are people truly in the know more than just lurking, but helping.
5. You get a Tesla, you get to live in the future, but with a slow browser.
6. It's just two years.

Buy a Mercedes bro. Tried and true. No surprises. You know what you're getting.

You're not mentally ready for the "Tesla Experience". Without hesitation I admit the car isn't for everyone. I am still amazed my wife loves the car (it's hers). She can pick apart every detail that was missed with any product out there. Somehow, she still loves it even with it's faults. The good still far outweighs the bad to her. She still doesn't know how half the stuff in the car works but she loves stepping on the go pedal and leaving people in the dust.

If they could ever get my wipers to work without chatter I think she'd have nothing to complain about. And before everyone pipes in with their suggestions we've tried literally everything already.

If "luxury" (gawd I hate that term) is what you're after then a Tesla is not the right car for you. You will not be happy. Telsa treats me well, but at no point do I feel like ever entered the "Grey Poupon Zone".

And honestly, I'd rather they spend the money on product development than on perfumed toilet paper and other idiotic "luxury" frippery.

This is all about location, location, location... If the OP is in CA... Forget about it, the standard they are looking for (FWIW, I don't think there is anything wrong with the standard), just doesn't exist with the vast majority of CA service centers. If you live outside of CA, but in the US and reasonably near a local service center then it's a different situation all together...

So again, location, location, location...

Jeff

even though I bought a $150,000 ultra luxury car. And it truly is, because the interior of the 150k Models is, except the seats no different than the 70k Models S.

I honestlyagree with most of the things you said, in terms of frustration. However the quote above is where you're dead off... Tesla was never marketed as an ultra luxury car, the damn thing doesn't even have near a quarter of the "luxury" comforts of an S550 or a 7 series. You're paying for the materials to create a 100 kwh battery, the metals and materials for the ludicrous mode, etc;

I agree the car probably shouldn't be near 150k based on the cost of its less equipped brothers/sisters, but if you think that as well (as you mentioned), then why not buy a 70k model S and save yourself the headache and high expectations from an automotive startup company?

Buy a Mercedes bro. Tried and true. No surprises. You know what you're getting.

You're not mentally ready for the "Tesla Experience". Without hesitation I admit the car isn't for everyone. I am still amazed my wife loves the car (it's hers). She can pick apart every detail that was missed with any product out there. Somehow, she still loves it even with it's faults. The good still far outweighs the bad to her. She still doesn't know how half the stuff in the car works but she loves stepping on the go pedal and leaving people in the dust.

If they could ever get my wipers to work without chatter I think she'd have nothing to complain about. And before everyone pipes in with their suggestions we've tried literally everything already.

Everything? Have you tried moving to the desert? :)

That's kind of a dickish attitude, especially when it's not exactly like the complaints he has are completely unfounded.
Complaints may not be unfounded but for sure they are 100% misdirected.
On this forum there is nada, zero, zilch, that we can do to help. Nothing.

What use is there to complain about the issues here? If the man is not capable to live wtih the issuse, the best advise is to walk away from the car.

I am not interested in hearing yet another guy crying how he must wait whole month for antoher set of tires. WE HERE CANNOT HELP.

Clear?

My experience has been outstanding so far. Service has been great, follows up quickly and great communication. My 2015 A8L has been in the shop for 8 days with little communication and the absolute crappiest car Audi makes as a loaner. Also the most fun car to drive. Remember the Internet mantra that those with complaints are the most likely to post, so as generally balanced as TMC appears to be, rabid fans will tend to be the most demanding and critical. That isn't inappropriate when you are spending that much for a car, but just something to keep in mind. Besides, if you want a real reason not to get the car, it only uses 802.11g wifi. I mean,seriously....hello 2009! ;)

Hey! I know.

Instead of getting one P100D, get two S60's instead for the same price (or less?)

If one needs to go the shop, drive the other, and never worry about cheap rental car substitutions.

Or leave winter tires on one, and summers on the other... rotate whole cars instead of rubber.

Or use it as "active parts self-insurance plan"... if you have a crash, you've got everything you need on hand to repair without waiting.
(Or just dispose of the crashed car and drive the other.)

Or, you know.. whatever.

I have had excellent Service @ both Mt. Kisco, NY and Paramus, NJ. I just completed an update to Ludicrous for my P85D. My loaner was a Model S and was fine. Tesla as a new high growth company is going through a learning curve. I have seen service improve and a sincere focus on customer satisfaction. I love my Model S. For the few bumps in the road along the way, I have no regrets. It is an amazing vehicle - made in America. If you need to be pampered and coddled, then I agree - go back to the Germans. If you want the best high tech driving enthusiasts car in the world - buy a Tesla. It is freak'ing AWESOME. Oh and that AP question - just realize that with every release, improvements are "downloaded" to your car. Nobody else comes close to adding new features. Oh yes - just buy it because it will protect you better than any other vehicle in the event of a crash. The stats do not lie. There will always be folks that drive too fast or do stupid things. Look at how the Germans are scrambling to catch Tesla. It hit them right in their blindspot. Enough said. Good day.

Thanks for the input.
I'm referring to the price tag when I say Luxury. The 100 is certainly in the elite, luxury, 1% whatever you want to call it, class with its price tag. And why would this car not be right for me if I ask about the experiences of other owners?
Let me tell you about my experience today. Tesla offered me an S for this weekend to drive since it's the last weekend before the lease offer ends. No one followed up. I just tried to call the Denver sales center and their phone number wasn't working. So I called the service center and they gave me the same, non working phone number. Then I called Tesla Palo Alto. First phone number didn't work either, second finally worked. Yes, it's true,we are experiencing phone problems they said. So what about my Tesla test drive for this weekend, I planned for it, and haven't heard back, I asked. Sorry, can't help you she answered...
No judging here, just telling you about my experience. Again, this is something I have never experienced with the other Marques. I really like this car, I think the AP is amazing, that's why I'm willing to pay that much for not much else than AP (and power), but I'm afraid that I will have many service related headaches on the way. What if my car is in service for 4 weeks, will they still charge me my monthly $2000+ payment?
Your input, except the one of a couple trolls like Warped, are very valuable and I very much appreciate you guys taking your time!

Reactions: Eclectic and Ormond
I honestlyagree with most of the things you said, in terms of frustration. However the quote above is where you're dead off... Tesla was never marketed as an ultra luxury car, the damn thing doesn't even have near a quarter of the "luxury" comforts of an S550 or a 7 series. You're paying for the materials to create a 100 kwh battery, the metals and materials for the ludicrous mode, etc;

I agree the car probably shouldn't be near 150k based on the cost of its less equipped brothers/sisters, but if you think that as well (as you mentioned), then why not buy a 70k model S and save yourself the headache and high expectations from an automotive startup company?

You're really paying for the R&D, tooling and capital costs to develop and start manufacturing of a completely new vehicle design and to fund the development of the follow-on vehicles required as part of a full model line-up. But for those costs, the Tesla would be quite a lot less costly than it is. I'm quite okay with that.