Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not the UK Supercharger Site News thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car from Edinburgh today. While doing the supercharger spiel the Tesla guy mentioned that the Edinburg SuCs would be up and running in the new year. Not sure if he was being specific or that was just a rough timescale.
Thanks for that. I'm at Edinburgh Airport on Sunday. I'll charge at Dundee both ways..avoids any chance of queuing at the airport superchargers.

I might pick your brains later as I'm going from Glasgow to Peterhead for a day trip over Xmas. Would be handy to know the best chargers up there.
I haven't been to Peterhead for a couple of months..last time I was there it was u/s. Ellon was busy but working. Oldmeldrum fast chargers still aren't on line as far as i know. Inverurie is working but I can't have the rapid charger to work with my car..others are ok i believe

I've been using Alford as it works well.
As fir superchargers. Dundee is the closest and just off the roundabout. Sorry i haven't used any others recently.

Reactions: init6
I might pick your brains later as I'm going from Glasgow to Peterhead for a day trip over Xmas. Would be handy to know the best chargers up there.
In terms of Superchargers you've got Perth and Dundee directly on the quickest route. To use Aberdeen the quickest route is probably continuing north through the city rather than use the western peripheral route. Congestion isn't too bad at the moment and it's likely to be quieter over Xmas. Also if your car can take it the Aberdeen Supercharger is 250 kW max whereas the others are 150 kW max.

Normally I'd pick Dundee as the hotel bar is a nice place to spend a few minutes with a coffee, but I have a MS which can't use V3 chargers. Also with Coronavirus floating about you'd probably want to minimise time and contact anywhere you stop, and I'm not sure what would be open. Perth has a McDonalds and motel type pub/restaurant a short walk away. At Aberdeen there's a Burger King and Starbucks nearby.

As you mentioned above there are other rapid points including some on the AWPR but Superchargers are always the safest bet in terms of reliability (anecdotally some CCS units don't always play ball with Model 3's).

Have a look at Abetterrouteplanner.com if you want to play games with the alternatives. I had a quick look and it suggested Aberdeen on the way up and Dundee on the way back for a Model 3 LR.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
In terms of Superchargers you've got Perth and Dundee directly on the quickest route. To use Aberdeen the quickest route is probably continuing north through the city rather than use the western peripheral route. Congestion isn't too bad at the moment and it's likely to be quieter over Xmas. Also if your car can take it the Aberdeen Supercharger is 250 kW max whereas the others are 150 kW max.
That's a very good point. It should be quieter at Christmas. Got memories of driving through Aberdeen pre-bypass clouding my thoughts.
Thanks all

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Moderator comment - many of the following posts moved from "UK Supercharger Site News". If you think a post has been moved in error, please report so it can be returned.

As mentioned above, photos up in TOGUK of owners filling their boots.

:)Crawley Service Centre Superchargers are now live; 8x V3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cezdoc
[2] There are actually 69 sites open in both UK and Norway, for some reason a pair of sites in both countries is counted as one location
The 69 is now 71 and the chart is now showing 70 but according to Supercharger.info's own rules, I think it should show 67 as they say they only count one of a North/South or East/West pair and there's four of them in the UK (Stoke, Warwick, Membury & Hilton Park).

The 69 is now 71 and the chart is now showing 70 but according to Supercharger.info's own rules, I think it should show 67 as they say they only count one of a North/South or East/West pair and there's four of them in the UK (Stoke, Warwick, Membury & Hilton Park).
Correct, although the true UK total should probably be 70 UK Superchargers as I believe Royal Victoria Docks has been permanently closed - I notice it's been removed from the Nav map.

The comments on the Supercharge.info forum refer to keeping total count in sync with Tesla's website "early on", so I'm guessing that the rule stopped being applied after a certain point in time. Whatever the reason, the current status is inconsistent and, for the UK at least, it doesn't even tally with Tesla's website which shows all paired superchargers on opposite carriageways as separate sites.

Anyway based on the total number of open sites listed on supercharge.info the "two-site" chart handicap is -1 for both UK and Norway, and as I type this the chart score now stands at UK 70-69 Norway. In reality I think it's 70-70 (unless there are any Norwegian database wrinkles akin to the Royal Victoria Docks closure).

The UK now has exactly 600 Supercharger bays across 71 sites, with a total of 98,708kW of theoretical charging power. Very close to 100MW of charging power.

I think you are a little optimistic there.

If we are talking input power from the mains, V2 are max 160kVA per cabinet -> 80kVA per stall. V3, in the absence of batteries, are max 350kVA per cabinet -> 87.5kVA per stall.
Those numbers (for both V2 and V3) will be a bit lower in places where Tesla don't have a dedicated transformer so the voltage is lower.
The numbers per stall will be a bit higher where there's an odd number of stalls on the site (ie. a cabinet has less than the max number of stalls attached); however, there's probably so few of those in the UK that it doesn't move the average very much.

So without the full dataset you pulled your numbers from, I'm going to guess at about 85kVA per stall across the UK = 51MVA. Actual output to the cars a bit over 90% of that (V2 are about 90% efficient at full load; V3 probably better but I don't have any numbers). So about 50MW total across UK superchargers.

The only batteries I know of are the ones at South Mimms - but those are linked to V2 cabinets and so don't affect the output. Has anyone seen any sign of batteries at V3 sites yet?

Reactions: CMc1
Afternoon everyone, is there any update on Fleet Services (South) - been there for years and not turned on. Thanks a million, Stuart

Thankfully, coming from Farnborough direction (we come from that direction too), the Northbound are more useful as they would be on return leg coming from west, you get further to pre condition due to the U-turn at J5 and you don't lose so much after topping up.

The new Amesbury ones would be more useful to us than Fleet South if heading west.

Just been in to the Crawley (/Gatwick?) Supercharger site. For the entire visit (~40 mins), I was the only one using the SuperChargers. But that might be partly due to the site not being on the SatNav yet,

I arrived with ~40% SoC, and set it to charge to 90%; admittedly without a pre-warmed battery (due not being on the nav system), the most I got was 47kW which surprised me. (Model 3LR)

Reactions: goRt