Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can actually find it - seems a little elusive. Given the number of CHAdeMO coming along, you're better off with your own anyhow.
To find one, you can just email [email protected] and we can arrange to get it to you. The adaptors move from member to member as required. Whether or not it's worth buying will really depend on how often you do a long trip and if there are superchargers nearby. in Qld where Ray is it's more useful than in NSW at the moment since the supercharger network isn't as extensive as the CHAdeMO one. If you are only going on one or two trips a year where you'd use it then borrowing is probably much more cost effective.

Given the number of CHAdeMO coming along, you're better off with your own anyhow.
FYI, from reading the Tesla forums, Model 3 does not yet support the CHAdeMO adaptor. Allegedly there’s no hardware reason why it can’t, it’s just that Tesla hasn’t got around to doing the software for it. If that’s the case, one would assume it’ll be all sorted by the time Model 3 comes here (probably sorted by the time they start shipping Model 3s to Europe).

FYI, from reading the Tesla forums, Model 3 does not yet support the CHAdeMO adaptor. Allegedly there’s no hardware reason why it can’t, it’s just that Tesla hasn’t got around to doing the software for it. If that’s the case, one would assume it’ll be all sorted by the time Model 3 comes here (probably sorted by the time they start shipping Model 3s to Europe).

[MySpeculation] There is also a possibility they are working on an upgraded CHAdeMO adaptor that supports more than 50kW charging and this is contributing to Model 3 support delays. [/MySpeculation]

Thanks to "Roy13" who just added this photo of the Wallsend (Newcastle) location! First confirmed NRMA chargers outside of their Sydney office. They've installed two units, not just one! Awesome! Looks like they're about ready to be turned on!

301515.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: baillies and Daemon
Bit of an update on the network, with two new chargers being added to the roll-out map today.

Map: NRMA Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Network | The NRMA

Now Live:
- Sydney (Olympic Park) - Single Charger
- Newcastle (Wallsend) - Dual Charger
- Hunter Valley (Hunter Valley Gardens) - Dual Charger
- Jindabyne - Dual Charger
- Mittagong - Single Charger

Coming Soon (confirmed on map):
- Berry
- Young (Added today)
- Narrandera (Added today).

Expected (have been mentioned in the past as likely locations):
- Batemans Bay
- Bega
- Dubbo
- Orange
- Bathurst

I would sincerely hope that Model 3 ditches Chademo and instead comes with CSS in Europe/Australia.

Reactions: alexeiw123 and Chuq
I would sincerely hope that Model 3 ditches Chademo and instead comes with CSS in Europe/Australia.

Yes, the rate of growth of NRMA, ChargeFox, QLD network etc. this year alone is enough to demonstrate that the supercharger network has the early mover advantage but if you are limited to only the supercharger network, you'll have a limited EV experience a decade from now.

The fact the Tesla hasn't denied any CCS2 rumours is a big indicator for me that it's coming, they just won't announce it until it's shipping.

The fact the Tesla hasn't denied any CCS2 rumours is a big indicator for me that it's coming, they just won't announce it until it's shipping.

I think it's a delicate balancing act between announcement of CCS2, announcement of Supercharger V3, refresh of the S/X to support CCS2, etc. as they all could sabotage sales if they are announced at the wrong time and the wrong order, etc.

It's tricky, I'm occasionally in discussion with potential charging locations (councils etc.) and advising on what charging infrastructure to provide - connectors etc. , and it would be a lot easier to say "a fast charger with Chademo/CCS2 will support all current and future EVs in Australia" without having to list a bunch of exceptions (Zoe - no DC charging, Model S/X - need adaptor, Model 3 - we have no idea what it will use)

Fortunately Chademo/CCS2 is pretty much the standard now - but the explanation may not instill confidence in those who are unfamiliar.

Reactions: alexeiw123
Yes, the rate of growth of NRMA, ChargeFox, QLD network etc. this year alone is enough to demonstrate that the supercharger network has the early mover advantage but if you are limited to only the supercharger network, you'll have a limited EV experience a decade from now.

A decade is looonnnggg time in this field, but I would venture to say that range will be improved to the extent that it will seem like today's Superchargers are tightly packed :) Always possible that adaptors will come along, in spite of present standards.

I think we’ll find out when Tesla opens up European orders in December (allegedly). If the Europe Model 3 has native CCS2 support then it’s game over.

When I checked out the Model 3 at Martin Place store, the charge port area seems big enough to accommodate CCS2. It would be cool to be able to Supercharge or use the NRMA network without needing adaptors.

Reactions: alexeiw123