Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok no problem.
Youā€™d just said in your original post about looking at your link wouldā€™ve given us the answerā€™s. (Answerā€™s rather than answer, as in more than one question.) As the other person had only asked one question, I thought you were referring to both of us.
Anyway, apologies if you didnā€™t mean it that way.
Main thing is that some good points have come out regarding IO, so everyoneā€™s a winner.šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ˜Š
It's all good. Sorry, I should have been more explicit and less terse.
Was having a bad day and that's nobody's fault.
Apologies all around! Glad other have given you the answers you seek. :)

Reactions: Tommo05
Have you had your renewal email yet? If not you might have slipped through the net and get your current rates for another year.

@Kansalis you might want to chance your arm and keep quiet. There is an active thread on the Octopus forums now which seems to be suggesting that although Go renewals were fixed to stop people rolling on to their old rates, Go Faster wasn't necessarily fixed and people have been renewing on their old tariff.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't had any kind of renewal notice yet & was planning to just wait while keeping an eye on my account details to see what happens when my fixed deal expires. It's easy & quick to change tariffs with them, so I'm not too bothered about being put on variable for a few days if that happens.

does it require the tesla plugged in every night (I only charge twice a week)? or you just set a limit like 80% and plug it in when you need to? Depending how control freaky they want to be they may prefer smaller regular topups to give timing flexibility rather than me waiting until 30% to plug in and it needing more time.

And surprised you're allowed to just plug in another car as you're not timeshifting/demand shaping that one which is the point of the tariff. If octopus don't mind it maybe helps them research and get investment on demand shaping just from the tesla fleet for now
I last needed a charge on Sunday so the car has been unplugged ever since & temporarily disconnected via the IO app. I probably won't need a smart charge for a few more days & IO can be used as often or as little as required.

As for our other EV, it is only used locally, rarely needing more than an hour or two of charging & mostly on its own but occasionally at the same time as the Tesla. It has a 7 day schedule set to 23.30-05.30 which I disable whenever there is excess solar and the Tesla is already at its desired SOC (otherwise, plugging in causes the charge to always commence at 23.30 via either Zappi or granny lead).

Last edited:
I last needed a charge on Sunday so the car has been unplugged ever since & temporarily disconnected via the IO app. I probably won't need a smart charge for a few more days & IO can be used as often or as little as required.

As for our other EV, it is only used locally, rarely needing more than an hour or two of charging & mostly on its own but occasionally at the same time as the Tesla. It has a 7 day schedule set to 23.30-05.30 which I disable whenever there is excess solar and the Tesla is already at its desired SOC (otherwise, plugging in causes the charge to always commence at 23.30 via either Zappi or granny lead).

thanks. Is it easy to disconnect? And do you have to do that if you want to use a different charger like a supercharger or other? It sounds like the API will be setting the car to not charge otherwise (eg I set my zappi to 'fast' but the car isn't accepting charge)

To disconnect/reconnect is simply a case of flicking a slider on the app.

To avoid IO polling the car, always disconnect after unplugging. I donā€™t think this is essential to be able to charge elsewhere but avoids unnecessarily battery drain.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Quick question on the various methods of restricting the total charge the car can take. There are settings within the car and also within IO. I assume the car overrides IO? So if car set to 80% and IO to 90% then the car would stop the charge at 80%?

similarly if I need 100% for a long journey I assume I need to set the car AND IO to 100%?

cheers,

greg

I finally got round to working out how much our electricity bill is going to increase by on 1 April and whether it's worth moving to an EV tariff, e.g. Octopus Go.

Based on the last 60 days of usage, I was surprised to see that Octopus Go is already cheaper than the 1 April tariff I will move to without using the 4hrs of 7.5p/kWh to charge an EV.

Picture 1.png

New tariff is 41% increase vs. 25% on Go, mostly due to standing charge.

If I was to charge an EV for 10k miles it will cost 45% more on Go versus 83% more on 1 April tariff.

So, I can move to go and put 10k miles of charge into an EV for 4% more cost than staying with my existing supplier.

Quick question on the various methods of restricting the total charge the car can take. There are settings within the car and also within IO. I assume the car overrides IO? So if car set to 80% and IO to 90% then the car would stop the charge at 80%?

similarly if I need 100% for a long journey I assume I need to set the car AND IO to 100%?

cheers,

greg

Correct the Tesla will not let you charge past it's pre-set limit even if IO is trying to do so.

Does anyone know if the Intelligent rate is going to increase in April? My current Go rate is good until the start of June but I'm already "registered" for IO, just haven't moved yet 'cos it'll double my pet rate. If the peak rate is going to increase in April though I'm thinking it might be better to switch now - 2 months pain, but then 10 months at today's IO rates rather then a higher one that might be just round the corner ...

Reactions: roadcred
I plugged in today at about 5:30 with about 23% battery. It gave me a schedule to get to 80% mostly starting at 11:30 then on/off through the night finishing at 7:30. Fine.

I then unplugged and had to go pick up my daughter. Will it recalibrate the time needed based on my now lower state of charge, or will it just give me the slots its calculated and maybe itā€™ll be fine?

Not urgent, just curious

I plugged in today at about 5:30 with about 23% battery. It gave me a schedule to get to 80% mostly starting at 11:30 then on/off through the night finishing at 7:30. Fine.

I then unplugged and had to go pick up my daughter. Will it recalibrate the time needed based on my now lower state of charge, or will it just give me the slots its calculated and maybe itā€™ll be fine?

Not urgent, just curious
It will recalculate. In fact, you'll often find that it will recalculate its original schedule two or even three times through the early evening, as mine did tonight.

Reactions: Mrklaw