Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it is only suspended for a few days while Octopus sort out a some issues for new registrations.

Someone I know had this response from Octopus 3 days ago…..

There has been some errors in the background of the app recently, which we are currently working on fixing.

Due to this the Tesla has been removed from the app however you should be able to access and set this up early next week.
Thanks. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what is going on.

They told me Tesla changed the API and it caused problems. If that’s the case why is it still working for existing intelligent customers?
It was a bit flaky this evening and didn’t think it was going to set a schedule. Did eventually but took a few minutes. Is normally much quicker. Could be some issues behind the scenes or am I am the only one that has had this?

Living the dream now: I have managed to set up local control of my GivEnergy battery and interface it with my Octopus API to control the charge/discharge when the car is charging.

When extra slots are provided outside of the fixed time window, the car no longer drains from the house battery. Both the car and GE battery will charge at the off-peak rates from the grid.

If anyone else with a GE battery would like to try this, I will try and pass on the help I had.

If you've installed local versions of Teslamate and have a Pi or NAS that can run Dockers, it's about that level of skill required.

Last edited:
Does it work though? App keeps crashing for me
Uninstall the app and reinstall it. I’m all transferred now. Already got my schedule outside core hours :)
9C6A19B1-6B38-444B-9FEB-5EDA45B5FC89.png

I joined Octopus on the 12th March (normal tariff) and have a smart meter installation booked for the 13th April so that I can get on the Intelligent tariff.

This morning when I went into the Octopus app I noticed a 'device' section which wasn't there previously. I went into it and it took me through some steps to setup my car which I did. This was followed by a test charge which took 5-7 mins and completed successfully. I then had a look at the scheduling section and noticed that 2 slots appeared, 08:10-08:30 and 08:30-9:00 so left my car plugged in and let it charge.

I rang Octopus shortly after as I was unsure why this has appeared before my smart meter install and if it meant they could communicate with my current meter but they said I'm still on the normal tariff. I still don't understand why I was given those scheduled slots though.

Anyone experienced anything similar when switching over to them?

assume the app is just testing it can control the car. Probably a bug to let you sign up without a smart meter as they have no way of measuring what was used when

I'd be tempted to try and stay on it, but just assume all charging will be peak rate until the smart meter is installed (and until you've confirmed on the octopus site that you're correctly getting the 30 min slots being read)

I joined Octopus on the 12th March (normal tariff) and have a smart meter installation booked for the 13th April so that I can get on the Intelligent tariff.

This morning when I went into the Octopus app I noticed a 'device' section which wasn't there previously. I went into it and it took me through some steps to setup my car which I did. This was followed by a test charge which took 5-7 mins and completed successfully. I then had a look at the scheduling section and noticed that 2 slots appeared, 08:10-08:30 and 08:30-9:00 so left my car plugged in and let it charge.

I rang Octopus shortly after as I was unsure why this has appeared before my smart meter install and if it meant they could communicate with my current meter but they said I'm still on the normal tariff. I still don't understand why I was given those scheduled slots though.

Anyone experienced anything similar when switching over to them?
Check your local intelligent tariff. They have all gone sky high today.

Check your local intelligent tariff. They have all gone sky high today.

my local looks to have only gone up 3p but the standing charge has gone up a lot it seems - I'd need to check what I had before. I was on 31p peak/7.5p off peak (south east)

edit : I'm on 30.61 peak, 7.5p off peak, 24p standing charge. So the biggest change is the standing charge

Last edited: