Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switched over to IO today and have my first scheduled charge tonight.
I don’t join Octopus until Monday but they’re already letting me schedule a charge 😀
642F9447-53C5-4F8F-929E-2330B8D5F8F1.png

Just plug in. It may charge for about a minute and then stop once the Octopus servers picks up on the charge starting.

The FAQs on the Octopus website are helpful in explaining these types of Qs.

Thanks - I did read that but the charging stats in car was showing 1-2kW but I wasn't sure if that was constant current usage or just because I was sitting in the car at the time. It's not showing any charge as being added though.

First time using the home charger and always wondered about leaving it plugged in and what kind of usage there is with that, if any?

I don’t join Octopus until Monday but they’re already letting me schedule a charge 😀
View attachment 788833

Nice! I switched to them on the 12th and then straight away asked to be switched to IO as I currently have SMEST1 so knew I would need to book a smart meter install to be eligible so wanted to get the ball rolling. A few days ago the device tab appeared in my app for the first time and it let me add my car, test charge etc and after all that completed it even offered me 2 slots straight after. However turns out I wasn't actually on the IO tariff at that time and I've only been switched over today. They emailed to say they were able to connect to my current smart meter yesterday so I think what I experienced a few days before was somehow tied in with that.

My first scheduled charge didn't start, I waited a few mins then manually started it myself. I've got a Hypevolt charger and it is in 'plug and charge' mode, the only other option is 'schedule charge'. When I initially plugged my car in today it started charging but did not stop so I manually stopped it myself after a few mins. So that might tie in with it not being able to start charging either. The only work around I can think of is to put the charger in 'schedule charger' mode and add in whatever schedules Octopus have given me.

Any ideas why?

Edit: so I just checked in on my charging and it stopped at 21:53 - I manually started it at 21:31 which is admittedly a bit impatient on my end lol. My 22:00-07:30 slot seems to have started fine so I will just monitor it. It's a shame you don't get the Tesla app charging started/ended notifications but I am guessing that is by design?

Last edited:
Second day on IO and I’ve not driven anywhere today and battery is on 89%.

I’ve left IO enabled, 100% charge by 9:00 but car is set to 90% - same as last night.

Today at around 5pm it scheduled 3:30-4:00 and 4:00-4:30 which I found strange as it’s only 1% below desired charge level. I’ve just checked again and it’s now showing 3:30-4:00, 4:30-5:00 and 7:00-7:30.

Any reason why so many slots for such little charge? Also do scheduled slots change regularly? I’m not concerned about the slots within the set 6 hour window but the ones outside that window as obviously the cost difference per kWh is considerable.

Second day on IO and I’ve not driven anywhere today and battery is on 89%.

I’ve left IO enabled, 100% charge by 9:00 but car is set to 90% - same as last night.

Today at around 5pm it scheduled 3:30-4:00 and 4:00-4:30 which I found strange as it’s only 1% below desired charge level. I’ve just checked again and it’s now showing 3:30-4:00, 4:30-5:00 and 7:00-7:30.

Any reason why so many slots for such little charge? Also do scheduled slots change regularly? I’m not concerned about the slots within the set 6 hour window but the ones outside that window as obviously the cost difference per kWh is considerable.
Io will try to reach 100% but car will not charge more than 90% what is set

Ahhh that makes sense! I remember reading on here to always keep IO at 100% and set the car to whatever percentage you actually want but overlooked the fact IO will think you want 100%.

Thoughts on the slots outside the normal 6 hour window changing? Does that happen a lot?
It happens some times, but during those slots all household will have off-peak rate ;)

That’s the only reason I ask lol say you scheduled your washing machine to run according to the IO schedule but that changed and you hadn’t checked again. I guess to be safe only schedule it during the 6 hour window?
Are there home appliances that would even work with potential 30 minute on, then off, then on again schedules? I very much doubt that.

Mine all run on the same cycles every time so I never program outside of 23.30-05.30, especially as they only need an. hour or two anyway.

Reactions: NSS89
Are there home appliances that would even work with potential 30 minute on, then off, then on again schedules? I very much doubt that.

Mine all run on the same cycles every time so I never program outside of 23.30-05.30, especially as they only need an. hour or two anyway.

same - anyhting you can program, or set a delay for - just use the regular hours. the later 5:30 is late enough finish for eg the washing machine to be emptied when we get up around 6-6:30 without too much issue. We just treat any extra slots as a bit more of our usual load being a bit cheaper. Feels too much effort to get that tiny percentage difference.

Reactions: NSS89
45% yes 7kW

But that means low rate for house all night ?
That does seem an odd schedule. I haven't seen anything like that unless I ask for a bump charge. But yes if that sticks it should mean off peak all the way through.

It was asked just up the thread and it's worth noting, the schedule is really quite dynamic. I've seen it change 5 or 6 times from plugging in around 5pm before the start of charging. It can also change slots mid-way through a schedule, although it won't cancel a slot it's already charging in.