Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are switching into Octopus Go, do you get to choose the slot they offer? Having having a cheap rate at 6-7am and 5 hours to charge my battery are both important factors for me, but I'm not sure how that conversation is going to go... If I can't get that particular slot I'm actually better off on my current E7 rate.

If you are switching into Octopus Go, do you get to choose the slot they offer? Having having a cheap rate at 6-7am and 5 hours to charge my battery are both important factors for me, but I'm not sure how that conversation is going to go... If I can't get that particular slot I'm actually better off on my current E7 rate.
Yes, you can. However, the rate for 5 hours is higher than Intelligent Octopus which gives 6 hours at (currently) 7.5p. The issue will probably be that there's no flexibility in the fixed off-peak times, though you may get offered 30 minute off peak slots outside the fixed times.

Need to clarify my post above...Go Faster offers 5 hour slots at differing times. Go is fixed.
That's the one, thanks. Yea, go faster is what I need to try and get on - IO finishes at 5:30 and I have a very regular heating need between 6 and 7am of up to 6kw per day (in December) that strongly favours covering that period rather than fighting over the last pennies on the cheap rate. Thanks.

Reactions: Zakalwe
That's the one, thanks. Yea, go faster is what I need to try and get on - IO finishes at 5:30 and I have a very regular heating need between 6 and 7am of up to 6kw per day (in December) that strongly favours covering that period rather than fighting over the last pennies on the cheap rate. Thanks.

GO-5H-0130 is the tariff that you need to request- 5 hour cheap period from 01:30 to 06:30. That's the latest finishing off-peak period that I can see for my region (North West).

The other alternative is GO-4H-0230. This gives a 4 hour off-peak ending at 06:30.

Reactions: Avendit
We're currently with Eon Next @ 26.7/kwh (not fixed so that's due to jump at any moment I imagine). I've got a M3P being delivered on 28/9 through OctopusEV salary sacrifice - Ohme Home Pro already fitted, and I use it with a BMW 330e right now. Is there any tariff with Octopus that I'd be able to switch to and would be worth my while right now? Thanks in advance

We're currently with Eon Next @ 26.7/kwh (not fixed so that's due to jump at any moment I imagine). I've got a M3P being delivered on 28/9 through OctopusEV salary sacrifice - Ohme Home Pro already fitted, and I use it with a BMW 330e right now. Is there any tariff with Octopus that I'd be able to switch to and would be worth my while right now? Thanks in advance
Not familiar with E.ON Next, do you have a smart meter already installed? If not, I'd start focussing on that, either supplied via E.ON or by Octopus. If the latter, you can move on to the Octopus flexible tariff now and request a smart meter install from them.

If you already have a compatible smart meter then most likely best to wait until your car arrives, or a couple of days before. Sign up to Octopus on their flexible tariff then when the account is created sign up to Octopus Intelligent or Go/Go Faster depending on needs. Unfortunately I can't see a way for you to avoid the next price hikes if moving to Octopus given the delivery date of your car.

Not familiar with E.ON Next, do you have a smart meter already installed? If not, I'd start focussing on that, either supplied via E.ON or by Octopus. If the latter, you can move on to the Octopus flexible tariff now and request a smart meter install from them.

If you already have a compatible smart meter then most likely best to wait until your car arrives, or a couple of days before. Sign up to Octopus on their flexible tariff then when the account is created sign up to Octopus Intelligent or Go/Go Faster depending on needs. Unfortunately I can't see a way for you to avoid the next price hikes if moving to Octopus given the delivery date of your car.
Cheers - smart meter already installed, but I've not checked compatability with Octopus yet. Wondering if I can sign up now to their flexible tariff and then move to Intelligent/Go/GoFaster, as I can plug in my 330e to use the Ohme Home Pro (that Octopus EV installed as part of my lease deal). I just looked at their tariff for switching and it's offering me a 12 month fixed but at 70.16p/kWh, so even whilst waiting to switch to intelligent it would more than double (nearly triple) our current cost immediately.... but then our current provider I'm sure will go up to that by October anyway. Urgh!!

Cheers - smart meter already installed, but I've not checked compatability with Octopus yet. Wondering if I can sign up now to their flexible tariff and then move to Intelligent/Go/GoFaster, as I can plug in my 330e to use the Ohme Home Pro (that Octopus EV installed as part of my lease deal). I just looked at their tariff for switching and it's offering me a 12 month fixed but at 70.16p/kWh, so even whilst waiting to switch to intelligent it would more than double (nearly triple) our current cost immediately.... but then our current provider I'm sure will go up to that by October anyway. Urgh!!
If your 330e can use the Ohme charger than seems like you could switch immediately and activate Intelligent Octopus before the Tesla arrives:

1661852575073.png

Just spoke to octopus to check the status of my switch over on Saturday from Bulb. He said my Go Tarif will be honoured from that of Saturday even though my smart meter won’t be installed until Sept 22nd. He also mentioned they don’t plan of raising rates on the Go/Intelligent plans until October, anything before will just be an announcement/intention, which seems too good to be true as I may then be able to apply for intelligent and get longer off peak… 🤞

Reactions: MattM76
If your 330e can use the Ohme charger than seems like you could switch immediately and activate Intelligent Octopus before the Tesla arrives:

View attachment 846928

Well I've taken the plunge, so they're switching me to a fixed tariff initially, which online says it's gone through all the checks and should be with Octopus on 1st Sept, quicker than I expected. It says they will then move me onto the smart tariff once my switch completes. So we will see. And yeah I've been using the Ohme charger (that Octopus fitted) with my 330e since it was installed. Not used it for a few days, and not sure what the process is - I assume they just need to see me use it to "ok" the smart tariff switch.

Thanks again for the help/advice. Short term may cost me more, as the fixed tariff Octopus are putting me on in the interim is 70+/kWh (instead of the 27 I'm currently paying), but long term if I get 4/5hrs of cheaper tariff each night it will hopefully save.

When you call them you won’t be able to get onto go/io straightaway. They will move you to the variable tariff and then once your switch is complete you can then select go/io. Although I do think you need the car for the io switch.

I called them Friday and my switch is due on the 31st, at which point I hope the current go tariff is still there.
Thanks for the info. I called them this morning and my switch will be on Sep 2. The agent said I can only get whatever tariff rate for Go at the time I finish my switch, wish both of us luck!

Well I've taken the plunge, so they're switching me to a fixed tariff initially, which online says it's gone through all the checks and should be with Octopus on 1st Sept, quicker than I expected. It says they will then move me onto the smart tariff once my switch completes. So we will see. And yeah I've been using the Ohme charger (that Octopus fitted) with my 330e since it was installed. Not used it for a few days, and not sure what the process is - I assume they just need to see me use it to "ok" the smart tariff switch.

Thanks again for the help/advice. Short term may cost me more, as the fixed tariff Octopus are putting me on in the interim is 70+/kWh (instead of the 27 I'm currently paying), but long term if I get 4/5hrs of cheaper tariff each night it will hopefully save.
I think you can call them to get an interim flexible tariff, instead of the fixed tariff online.

Reactions: MattG5 and Lazarou
Just spoke to octopus to check the status of my switch over on Saturday from Bulb. He said my Go Tarif will be honoured from that of Saturday even though my smart meter won’t be installed until Sept 22nd. He also mentioned they don’t plan of raising rates on the Go/Intelligent plans until October, anything before will just be an announcement/intention, which seems too good to be true as I may then be able to apply for intelligent and get longer off peak… 🤞
It is big if that is real. Not only my upcoming switch to Go (Sep 2) will be safe, I can even switch to IO when my MY arrives (Sep 21). Please be true! 🤞

Reactions: robmcm
I think you can call them to get an interim flexible tariff, instead of the fixed tariff online.
You were right - just phoned them and they've changed my switch to the flexible tariff, and also sent me the links for switching to either go or intelligent, and they confirmed that as I already use the Ohme charger I should be able to change to them from my switch day (which is 1st Sept!!). Superb, thanks again

• Love
Reactions: mr_rxn
I'd be surprised if anyone was still on Agile. It's not been competitive for many months...

Agile Export is currently paying silly money for exported energy, so there's money to be made if you are prepared to do a bit of management.

1661860319527.png

Of course, it's nowhere near the the crazy "2.41 that was being offered back in Sep 2021, but it has been climbing since June this year.

1661860424058.png

Thanks for the info. I called them this morning and my switch will be on Sep 2. The agent said I can only get whatever tariff rate for Go at the time I finish my switch, wish both of us luck!
That’s good news. I gave my meter readings yesterday and hope the switch is complete in the morning then I think I’m going opt for go faster the 5hr cheaper rate.

I’ve got a referral code which you can add if you haven’t already, £50 credit for each of us once the switch is complete. I can ping you a link if you haven’t used one already.

That’s good news. I gave my meter readings yesterday and hope the switch is complete in the morning then I think I’m going opt for go faster the 5hr cheaper rate.

I’ve got a referral code which you can add if you haven’t already, £50 credit for each of us once the switch is complete. I can ping you a link if you haven’t used one already.
Ping me it too please, I've not used one :)

Reactions: MattG5