Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the results are in! Who did best?

Mine: “So far you've earned 8,248 OctoPoints (or £10.31) over 1 Saving Session” and “You saved 98% in the last session

(that’s with deliberately transferring usual household load to 13:00–16:00 on the 15th, per my earlier message)

View attachment 876157

17:00–17:30 = 0.047 kWh
17:30–18:00 = 0.060 kWh
I do hope the gaming of the system was a mere experiment rather than a master plan to earn a tenner?

Reactions: ACarneiro
I can’t be sure that my opting in actual managed to register as it kept giving me the option, anyway home batteries as normally still running at that time and often we haven’t started cooking. Low solar take day and cooking a meal for neighbours without a kitchen at present didn’t help this effort, but was appreciated down the road.

Mmm. The email and the dashboard don’t seem to tally. Think the dashboard subtracted my 1,000 point bonus and not added it. 18816 vs 20816. Sure it’ll get sorted. That’s a bit more like what I was expecting.

AADE9E82-E0C2-4721-9456-8DED2F62B114.jpeg

I like the creativity. Now my machine shop doesn’t normally work past 5pm so no saving to be made there and the cannabis farm I don’t have isn’t on a meter anyway!

The answer to your mental anguish is in the In Day Adjustment. As Pink Duck has said, posts are earlier in this thread. I charged my (one) EV, pyro’d the oven, etc voila. If it wasn’t for that I’d have saved about 1.5kWh from shifting my baseline for the previous 10 days, again see previous post.

It turns out that gaming it is trivial to do and so I hope NationalGrid change the methodology, otherwise the unintended consequences (once people realise the money to be ‘saved’) will undermine the objective by just shifting the balancing problem. If I were in the position where I was faced with not being able to pay the electric bill or I could get paid to use as much electricity as I can- I know what I would do. At some point this could easily stop being a game/experiment and will be actively promoted by the likes of MSE and MSM.

If 5% of the 3.5m smart meters each pull 10kW that’s an increased load of 1.7GW for 3 hours. Now, not all suppliers are signed up to the Demand Flexibility Service, they don’t all get the same time periods, not all customers will opt in, and not all will try to ‘save’ money by gaming it. However, NationalGrid could easily end up paying for consumer’s In Day Adjustments and paying for balancing services (and at one scale that’s burning coal).

P376 has taken 5 years to get agreed and developed so it isn’t going to change quickly. My guess is sooner or later they will abandon the In Day Adjustment.

Final thought. We made savings that are being paid for by NationalGrid which is funded as part of our electric bills. So everyone not saving is paying for everyone that is.

By all means I understand what is being said here. Its just that some peoples savings for that hour equates to me turning the main switch off between 04:30 and 00:30 hence cant compete so the way I see it I should be at the further top of those 10% savers 🤔 🤣 🤣.... Ill have to say cheers with my glass half full 🥂🤷‍♂️😬

Has someone here switched from EDF?

I am on a variable tariff which is about 35.5p with EDF and Octopus have quoted me 36p variable (not fixed) and about 10p off peak.

Theres so much bad news about switching atm because of the cost. But it seems if I move to Octopus I would save lots more money because off-peak is cheaper? Is there any negatives here I am not seeing as I am not in a fixed agreement with EDF.

Cheers all

That is what I just got quoted on the phone. What do you think it is? Just rang EDF and its 38p with them all day everyday, am i missing something here? Cheaper to swtich?
Current Go rates are 40.6p peak and 12p off peak last I looked. If you shift charging etc to the 4hr off peak plus washing etc etc then you should make saving. More if you have battery storage to charge at off peak rate then use through day. All depends on your overall use and how much you can shift.