Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usual Octopus terms.

Tariff rates fixed for 1 year, you can leave with no penalty on 30 days notice.
I didn’t think that applied since the EPG came in. They pulled all tariffs and reinstated them and declared them all as variable, and subject to price changes because of the govt rules on epg and fixed price tariff.

I know this is the case for the latest octopus go. It’s worth checking for IO as well.

Reactions: browellm
1669659681013.png

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll have weigh up a fixed tariff for 4hrs vs 6hrs that will be variable and could go up.
I’d stick with Go if you have 9 months left. My understanding if that the IO and new Go tariffs are flexible as it allows octopus to use the govt subsidies for a blended rate that stays inside the epg cap. I’d therefore assume that when that cap goes up in April (as already announced) then they’ll adjust these tariffs up.

A question of current IO users if I may;

Our Go terms expire in December and we might be going for IO option instead, but I'm a little concerned about the comment in the FAQ's saying "You may be intelligible for IO if you said you have more than one car" [Interesting they say "if you said..." here, by the way].

We have 2 cars (the second is an ID.3), and would obviously register the Tesla as the IO car. I'm assuming we could still just plug the VW in at 11.30 pm and benefit from cheaper charging there too, so long as we didn't go past 5.30 am?

The other point I wondered about is that currently our charger (a Wallbox) is 'software locked' via its own app to only work between 00.30 and 04.30, meaning we can plug the car in at any time safe in the knowledge it won't start charging until the cheap rate begins. Presumably, taking a similar approach if we were on IO (timed to fit the IO cheap rate window) would be a non-starter as it would bugger up the Octopus control of the EV charging for the Tesla. The upshot being I'd just have to drag my sorry ass outside at 11.30 and plug the wife's car in?

A question of current IO users if I may;

Our Go terms expire in December and we might be going for IO option instead, but I'm a little concerned about the comment in the FAQ's saying "You may be intelligible for IO if you said you have more than one car" [Interesting they say "if you said..." here, by the way].

We have 2 cars (the second is an ID.3), and would obviously register the Tesla as the IO car. I'm assuming we could still just plug the VW in at 11.30 pm and benefit from cheaper charging there too, so long as we didn't go past 5.30 am?

The other point I wondered about is that currently our charger (a Wallbox) is 'software locked' via its own app to only work between 00.30 and 04.30, meaning we can plug the car in at any time safe in the knowledge it won't start charging until the cheap rate begins. Presumably, taking a similar approach if we were on IO (timed to fit the IO cheap rate window) would be a non-starter as it would bugger up the Octopus control of the EV charging for the Tesla. The upshot being I'd just have to drag my sorry ass outside at 11.30 and plug the wife's car in?
Can you disable scheduling on the Wallbox & set one on the ID.3 instead?

Our Tesla charges on IO with no schedules on either the Zappi or car. The Zappi is always set to Fast 7kWh 'dumb' mode overnight.
Our Fiat 500e has its own schedule 23.30-05.30 so if we plug it in it will charge during that period if needed (it does a tiny mileage so rarely charged anyway).

Hi - has anyone had issues with the test charge? Just tried this evening (using a three pin Tesla charger) and it failed three times. Battery was at 75% with a limit of 80%. The charger was plugged in correctly and the car was charging. Am I doing something wrong?

Reactions: DaveNN
Go and Intelligent are smart tariffs already deemed to be below the EPG (on blended cost), therefore not subject to it, so they won't be changing when the EPG expires. The rates have always been fixed for 12 months from taking out the tariff.
View attachment 879175
Anyone who's taken out the tariff post EPG will be able to post the same from their account page.
I think they are indeed flexible now... Just pulled this from the "current tariffs" page on their website.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 22.39.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 22.39.47.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: browellm
IO calculates your charging time by taking into account the type of charger you have and the size of the battery in your car. I suspect it also applies a bit of a fudge factor to account for slightly reduced charging rates*. You specify this when signing up. You could lie and say you only have a granny charger when you really have a 3 phase wall connector but that could be classed as gaining by deception which isn’t just against the t&cs, it’s fraud.

*Ive got a single phase WC that was setup with a slightly lower amperage limit because the gauge of my old, long run of underground armoured cable is just below what the spark was comfortable with handling 32 amps. IO won’t know this but my charge never fails to complete in the windows

Hi - has anyone had issues with the test charge? Just tried this evening (using a three pin Tesla charger) and it failed three times. Battery was at 75% with a limit of 80%. The charger was plugged in correctly and the car was charging. Am I doing something wrong?
I had exactly the same problem.
I've emailed them for support.

Apologies to @deeqs, @ACarneiro and @SteveJol. I checked with my contact at Octopus and you are all correct the tariff is officially no longer fixed for 12 months. Thanks for putting me straight - I would edit my previous posts to avoid giving the wrong info to others but they are past the time limit.

The only thing that suggests these won't go up in April (all things being equal - which is is stretch to say in itself) is that they were never reduced by the Electricity Price Guarantee in the first place as they were deemed below the 34p cap (blended use). However, who knows what the market will be doing by then.