Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have been on IO since February without issue. Since the update to 2022.40.4.2 I keep getting an message that octopus cannot control my device. I have ave tried rebooting the car which made no difference.

Anyone else have this issue

I've been having similar difficulties lately since that version with Octopus app saying it can't control device, and on a couple of occasions finding my Tesla stopped charging without notification at all. Jiggling the charge target percentage (or confirming the same) seems to kick it back into operation. At worst, disabling then re-enabling smart charging altogether through the IO settings tile if 10 minutes go by with nothing happening. It's almost as if some of the start charging instructions aren't getting through to the car. Plus I've noticed the Android Tesla app itself to be all over the place when changing charge target and not matching the reality of configuration within the car.

Reactions: Bacon
I've been having similar difficulties lately since that version with Octopus app saying it can't control device, and on a couple of occasions finding my Tesla stopped charging without notification at all. Jiggling the charge target percentage (or confirming the same) seems to kick it back into operation. At worst, disabling then re-enabling smart charging altogether through the IO settings tile if 10 minutes go by with nothing happening. It's almost as if some of the start charging instructions aren't getting through to the car. Plus I've noticed the Android Tesla app itself to be all over the place when changing charge target and not matching the reality of configuration within the car.
I’m getting IO starting charge ahead of the planned schedule. Usually about 1 hr after setting the schedule. Stop everything, unplug and rest then does same again. So switch it all off and set charge with tesla app instead. No issues for months prior to this.

It seems that there are 48 missing half-hourly readings in the data received from my electricity meter by Octopus for November (all of Nov 5th apparently). Does anyone know how they charge you when meter readings are missing? I'll email Octopus but thought someone on here might have had the experience as well. Thanks.

It seems that there are 48 missing half-hourly readings in the data received from my electricity meter by Octopus for November (all of Nov 5th apparently). Does anyone know how they charge you when meter readings are missing? I'll email Octopus but thought someone on here might have had the experience as well. Thanks.
I had that too. I reported it and was told data could be retrieved manually.

What I ended up with was a bill up to 4th November. Nothing for the 5th! Seemed pointless. The bill also had a lot of nonsense from earlier in the year which I thought was resolved. Awaiting new bill having rung them. I’ll see how that pans out

My Octopus account highlighted that I had missing overnight data on the 7th so I sent a tweet to them about it (response within an hour or so which has always been the case in my experience).

They said the missing data would be uploaded & it was within 24hrs. My Oct-Nov bill arrived as expected and nothing is missing.

For anyone needing to check, I find the Guy Lipman site extremely useful to see if it's Octopus or actually the meter causing this issue. It checks usage directly from your smart meter (if you are comfortable allowing access to your account & security key). Any half hour slots missing will be shown & on several previous occasions where Octopus claimed data was missing I was able to challenge them because I could see that it wasn't.

Guy Lipman is very active in giving advice on Octopus smart tariff Facebook threads, often interacting with Philip Steele, the Octopus Smart Manager.

Smart Meter Reports

...."Your Octopus key will never be stored by the website".

I’ve had two issues with IO - and each occurring several times; (1) the car triggering an IO schedule when plugging in and charging at work, not home and (2) the car not hitting its charge target because it didn’t use all the slots that the IO app indicated were allocated.

It depends on your inverter and what access the manufacturer allows. On mine (GivEnergy) it is very easy to stop the battery draining when the EV is charging. There are open APIs that allow this.
How does this work?
Is it simply a case of spotting the >7.5kW house demand and preventing the battery from supplying during that time?
What tools are used for this, Home Assistant?
Is there a simple summary in a link summarising how to implement this?
Is this model specific if so which models support it?

@Zakalwe said above that Givenergy has an API allowing integration with drain prevention during charging,

Which other battery inverters support this functionality?
I have two 3.6kWh inverters & both are set to block discharge & prevent any battery drain if any demand including car charging occurs during the selected periods.

Solax-X Hybrid - two block period with one set 23.30-05.30 (& previously set to GO hours when I was on that tariff). To set block discharge this must be done either via the inverter control screen or via local mode on the phone app when in close range of the inverter .

Lux SquirrelPod - three block periods with one set to 23.30-05.30. Simple to set block discharge from anywhere using either the phone app or a web browser.

During periods where solar generation is going to be very low (ie today & most of the winter) the Lux also fully charges 23.30-05.30 and this powers the house throughout the following day.

Yesterday was very sunny so the Solax batteries were full and have retained 81% of their charge to this morning so I have just over 15kWh total available today from a combination of Solar & cheap rate.

One car was charged using 22kw overnight & all came from the IO 7.5p tariff so none of this has affected the batteries (never does)

Attachments

• 4ABF4429-E1A5-4C55-98FF-568E2CFF027E.jpeg
    4ABF4429-E1A5-4C55-98FF-568E2CFF027E.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 9C921D4E-FA19-4C3D-8A22-97BC69C6285A.jpeg
    9C921D4E-FA19-4C3D-8A22-97BC69C6285A.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 077FD00A-FDFC-4A34-B707-E5AF10930E1D.jpeg
    077FD00A-FDFC-4A34-B707-E5AF10930E1D.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Astrape and DaveNN
I have two 3.6kWh inverters & both are set to block discharge & prevent any battery drain if any demand including car charging occurs during the selected periods.

Solax-X Hybrid - two block period with one set 23.30-05.30 (& previously set to GO hours when I was on that tariff). To set block discharge this must be done either via the inverter control screen or via local mode on the phone app when in close range of the inverter .

Lux SquirrelPod - three block periods with one set to 23.30-05.30. Simple to set block discharge from anywhere using either the phone app or a web browser.

During periods where solar generation is going to be very low (ie today & most of the winter) the Lux also fully charges 23.30-05.30 and this powers the house throughout the following day.

Yesterday was very sunny so the Solax batteries were full and have retained 81% of their charge to this morning so I have just over 15kWh total available today from a combination of Solar & cheap rate.

One car was charged using 22kw overnight & all came from the IO 7.5p tariff so none of this has affected the batteries (never does)
This kind of information is invaluable .
I will need to check the spec on my Sofar battery controller.
I should imagine that I can do this..

What happens if the IO schedule starts an additional charge slot outside of the fixed low tariff eg 5:30-6?