Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just had my Octopus Go renewal through.

They’re offering to drop my peak rate from 38.5 p to 29.5p. Increase my off peak rate from 7.5p to 9.5p, whilst increasing the standing charge from 48.5p to 55.6p.

I’m not sure what to think of this. Isn’t there meant to be a reduction in cost come October?

Is Octopus still worth having or is there better EV tariffs now out there?

Hi all

They’re offering to drop my peak rate from 38.5 p to 29.5p. Increase my off peak rate from 7.5p to 9.5p, whilst increasing the standing charge from 48.5p to 55.6p.

I’m not sure what to think of this. Isn’t there meant to be a reduction in cost come October?

I’m with Octopus Go on the flexible deal and this is my rate:

IMG_5294.png

Seems like the people who fix are being punished? My rates have come down twice in the past 6 months.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I’m with Octopus Go on the flexible deal and this is my rate:

View attachment 969426
Seems like the people who fix are being punished? My rates have come down twice in the past 6 months.
Yeh that’s the thing I don’t get. They’ve quoted me the flexible deal based on my historical consumption. All costs on the flexible deal for me that I’ve been quoted are MORE than the ones they’re quoting on OG and IO but the overall annual estimate they’re quoting is 600 quid cheaper than both of those.

Can’t figure out what they’ve done there, will have to speak to them.

We moved from Go to Tracker and save a fair bit. It does seem strange charging whenever we like, but it appears off-peak tariffs have lost any advantage for a normal (no solar or battery) user.
Agreed

They’re creeping up the off peak price whilst hammering us with ridiculous standing charges. I’m going to hang fire until turn of October and get requote then cos I think they’re trying to lock me into a deal based on current prices, whilst knowing the prices will drop beginning October

We moved from Go to Tracker and save a fair bit. It does seem strange charging whenever we like, but it appears off-peak tariffs have lost any advantage for a normal (no solar or battery) user.
Yes, that's particularly the case when working from home, or if anyone is generally home during the day. I moved to Tracker when Go Faster went away. My overall average for the July billing period was 15.74p per kWh, which is significantly less than it would have been on any of the time offset tariffs.

Hi all

The reduction in October applies to the price-capped rates only

Hi all

I also moved across to the new rates. I've been tracking the difference between the old rates and the "new" rates (they've been the same for months for new sign ups) and I'm actually £12 month cheaper than when on the 7.5p rate Go ... because it depends on your total usage pattern and the day saving more than makes up for the increase in cheap rate (for me). Anyway there's no lock-in ... you can still switch.

I did this. I've saved a fortune going from the new IO to Tracker. The increase they were offering for IO at the end of my term in June was ridiculous compared to the current Tracker rates. It might be worth doing that until the price starts increasing for Gas in the Winter?

If you look at your bill closely, it'll tell you what the average cost per unit was of your electricity. Go and IO work well if you can shift some of your usage (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier etc) off peak, and reduce peak use. You can then use your bill to compare what you're paying with the tracker rate. So say tracker is 20p for electricity today, if your bill says on average you're paying 25p, moving to tracker would be good, if it says on average you're paying 19p, then moving might not be so good.

In essence they've done the hard work for you.

Hi all

that is the current reduction. the october one might adjust things a little but maybe only peak rate. Go isn't a fixed rate anymore so if there is a change you should get it automatically adjusted down.

intelligent octopus gives you similar peak/standing charge but off peak is 6 hours and 7.5p. but you need a compatible wall box or car.

We love Intelligent Octopus. Works a treat for us.

6 hours cheap rate, enough to fill the Powerwalls & Cars.

Just enough to last through the following 18 hours off-grid at cheap rate in Winter.

Winner 🏆 (providing they don't hike the off-peak rate too much in Winter)