Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus go - Still available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on the old 5p Go tariff. Fixed period came to an end recently. Eek. 🙏 Ignored the email to change tariff. Account dashboard’s looking good. Bill arrived today…..Fixed for 12 months on the old 5p rate until Jan 2023. Phew. Octopus you are amazing. 🐙 🎊🐙🎉🐙

Reactions: CMc1
I'm still waiting to see what Octopus does at the end of the month... the old dashboard just says (like by PDF bills):

Octopus Go Faster (4H from 2030) December 2019 v1
This tariff ends on 28th January 2022
Unit rate 14.46p per kWh
Standing charge 25.00p per day

I am still struggling to find out if my meter is going to be ok, nobody seems to be able to answer.

Surely not all of you had smets 2 meters, did they sort you out quite quickly?
My meter is a SMETS1 but made by Secure, which Octopus said that they could read. It took a few days from switching to them but they agreed that they could read it OK and put me on to the Go tariff without issue. Mind you, over three months later and I've still not had an electricity bill from them!

As previously mentioned, all SMETS1 meters should theoretically now work after a change in the system. In case it's of interest, our meter is a SMETS1 made by Elster - which shouldn't have worked until now, but actually has been working fine for half hour readings on import and export since June when we had solar and powerwalls fitted.

Apologies if this has been quoted previously, but the email from Octopus at the end of December is below. In case it makes a difference I'm in the Cardiff area. As mentioned, my Elster SMETS1 meter was already working contrary to what I was expecting so I've not seen any difference, but it shows that it should be possible.

Great news, we’ve remotely updated your smart meters so that we can connect to them. They’re now ‘smart’ again.

This means that:
  1. As of right now, you don't need to send us monthly meter readings (hurray!)
  2. We’ll automatically send you an up to date statement every month (you should have already received one of these)
  3. We collect your smart meter data half hourly (you can change this at any time in your online account).
The meters at your home are what’s known as first generation smart meters or SMETS1 meters. When they were installed, they were only able to communicate remotely with the manufacturers used by the supplier who installed them. This meant that we couldn’t connect to them, which is why we had to ask you to send us meter readings manually.

Working with the DCC (the government organisation responsible for smart meter connectivity), we’ve fixed the connectivity issue by virtually moving them to a new network that we can read them from.
Thank you for bearing with us, and welcome back to the full smart meter experience!

Love and power,
The Smart Metering Team

I will ring Octopus tomorrow to check, and just to confirm they will definitely take me as a customer, as that’s the last thing stopping me ordering.
Did you contact Octopus and sign up? I spoke with them yesterday and had a very strange conversation. The chap I spoke with said that the team leaders are having daily meetings with management in relation to costs. He said prices have risen steadily and are due a fall, he was happy to sign me up there and then but would be stuck on that days rate.I believe it would be their standard tariff of around 36p until I was switched to Go. He then said it would be 7 p off peak and around 29p peak. He then advised to wait a week or so and ring back. Most confusing phone call.
I decided I will give it a week and try again

Did you contact Octopus and sign up? I spoke with them yesterday and had a very strange conversation. The chap I spoke with said that the team leaders are having daily meetings with management in relation to costs. He said prices have risen steadily and are due a fall, he was happy to sign me up there and then but would be stuck on that days rate.I believe it would be their standard tariff of around 36p until I was switched to Go. He then said it would be 7 p off peak and around 29p peak. He then advised to wait a week or so and ring back. Most confusing phone call.
I decided I will give it a week and try again
I didn’t get around to it, I did order to Car though. I was planning to give them a call on Monday.

I think you do need to switch to Octopus normally and then switch to Go don’t you? Somebody on here may be able to advise?

Reactions: Fury1
I will ring Octopus tomorrow to check, and just to confirm they will definitely take me as a customer, as that’s the last thing stopping me ordering.
Do it online and save yourself the frustration. You either get taken on or you dont. Since octopus sorts everything for you (the changeover), you dont have to give notice to your current supplier. Just do it and cross your fingers, nothing to lose. And dont forget to use someones referral so that you get yourself off to a good start with £50 credit!

Do it online and save yourself the frustration. You either get taken on or you dont. Since octopus sorts everything for you (the changeover), you dont have to give notice to your current supplier. Just do it and cross your fingers, nothing to lose. And dont forget to use someones referral so that you get yourself off to a good start with £50 credit!
You can’t do it online at the moment it seems as they have a message saying it’s not in most peoples best interests to switch and you have to ring if you don’t agree.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
How long is it usually?
I don't think I'm typical, because I was on Agile and Agile Outgoing when I asked to switch to Go Faster. There are then several stages to that transition because you need to be on SEG for export before moving to Go, and have to be on Go before moving to Go Faster. So take this as a worst case, and bear in mind both that I wasn't chasing it very hard and that the energy market was in turmoil by then.
My first email to Octopus about changing tariff was on 12th August, and we were on Go Faster from 29th September.