Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether or not they continue in the right direction is really going to come down to what Tesla decides to do with Cybertruck specs/pricing. If Tesla is aggressive with pricing, Rivian's gonna have to continue to lower prices and margins are gonna go back down.

Will be interesting in general to watch F and Rivian's sales numbers as Cybertruck gets closer and closer. Obviously, Cybertruck with not be in volume production until Q1, but just the fact that deliveries are starting could cause some people to put off buying a F150 Lightning or Rivian.
With their inventory build and writedowns it looks like they will need to lower prices regardless of Cybertruck but agree a sharp Cybertruck price and a strong ramp will exacerbate the situation.

That said, it's a much improved performance from Rivian QoQ - feels like they are starting to turn the corner on costs, even if there is still quite a way to go to profitability.

Reactions: betstarship
Whether or not they continue in the right direction is really going to come down to what Tesla decides to do with Cybertruck specs/pricing. If Tesla is aggressive with pricing, Rivian's gonna have to continue to lower prices and margins are gonna go back down.

Will be interesting in general to watch F and Rivian's sales numbers as Cybertruck gets closer and closer. Obviously, Cybertruck with not be in volume production until Q1, but just the fact that deliveries are starting could cause some people to put off buying a F150 Lightning or Rivian.

Their big problem is that they can't sell every car they produce.

Yes, the R1T is about to have some massive new competition, I am sure they are very concerned about that. Thankfully though, unlike Lucid who just copied the Model S, Rivian, at least to date, has a fairly unique niche with "rugged" off-road trucks/SUVs.

Reactions: betstarship
The "going up a semi-steep hill with 4 people on the range extender" painted a picture in my head of some sort of harness where four people are outside the car and pushing or pulling to get the car up the hill as a way to lengthen the battery range. 😁
That varies a lot by car. The fist generation Volt had a mountain mode to guard against this and the RAV4 Prime has a noticeably stronger gas engine so it is not a problem. The I3 was particularly bad in this reguard.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
That varies a lot by car. The fist generation Volt had a mountain mode to guard against this and the RAV4 Prime has a noticeably stronger gas engine so it is not a problem. The I3 was particularly bad in this reguard.
The I3 had a lawnmower motor as the Range Extender, I swear it was the worst thing BMW ever came up with. To come up with it, and then to have upper mgmt approve this was beyond me.

Last edited:
Wasn’t that

Wasn’t that some strange USA requirement to allow the i3 to be classified as an EV!?
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires a serial hybrid to have more range on battery than on gas to qualify as a ZEV, thus the tiny gas tank. I was considering buying an i3 REx before the M3 came out, but for my driving (frequent 400 mile trips) the small fuel tank killed the idea. It's also likely why Mazda is choosing not to bring the MX-30 REx with Wankel range extender to the US, and is focusing on Europe for it -- I believe it has something like an 8-gallon tank, so Mazda would get no ZEV credits for it, and would still have to buy ZEV credits from Tesla. And remember, there are a lot of other states that have chosen to follow California emission rules. Besides technical reasons, it's a regulatory reason that serial hybrids are a no-go in the US.

Reactions: Fred42
Sorry: weekend off topic…

X is auctioning off all their furniture from the Twitter HQ in SF. Lots of cool stuff there actually; I’m gonna see if I can’t pick up a sofa or 2. Maybe I can find some dry powder in the cushions…wish me luck 🍀🤞

Edit; they allow “viewings”; so, I’m going to check for dry powder in the sofas. Will report back.

Edit 2; I wonder if this means they’re moving the office completely, or if this is just redecorating or sub leasing part of the building.

Last edited:
Sorry: weekend off topic…

X is auctioning off all their furniture from the Twitter HQ in SF. Lots of cool stuff there actually; I’m gonna see if I can’t pick up a sofa or 2. Maybe I can find some dry powder in the cushions…wish me luck 🍀🤞

Edit; they allow “viewings”; so, I’m going to check for dry powder in the sofas. Will report back.

Edit 2; I wonder if this means they’re moving the office completely, or if this is just redecorating or sub leasing part of the building.
I just sold my way-too-big for my needs bass rig, so grab this for me will ya' and pop it in the post, TIA!

1691962695496.png

Gary Black figured the price cut is a difference of $0.035c EPS as Y SR makes up 82% of the volume in China and 14% of it is LR while 4% is performance.
Apparently, after Twitter Overhang™️ suppressed the TSLA SP, now it is time for Banter Overhang™️...🤡

This washed-up Wall Streeter will blame anything but himself for his fund's non-performance.

That is so dumb! He has been working out and lifting weights every day. (he claims) He is probably in better health now than he has been for a while. The spinal thing is not connected with this fitness, it's something that could happen to anybody. (BTW put me in the group that hopes they will never fight)
Nothing dumb about worrying Elon getting punched in the face hard by someone trained years to fight. If Elon was 20 something a punch isn't a big deal. He's over 50, you never know what a punch to the face at the right angle can do. Might cause a concussion or even a stroke.

Last edited:
CNBC has an important story called:
"Cyber concerns: CNBC executive's old Tesla ends up in Ukraine, new owner able to access accounts"

The story goes like this: a CNBC executive's totaled Tesla was shipped by the scrap yard to Ukraine and Spotify was still logged in, which obviously raises concerns about the Cybertruck launch.

FWIW it HAS been a legit concern that Tesla was failing to wipe personally identifying info from car computers, for years... this was most publicized when the HW2.x->3 retrofits were happening because thousands of HW2.x computers were being tossed in the trash/junkyards and folks like Green were checking them out and finding all the data still there... not just someones spotify login but their email address, home address, driving video, etc.

Now in this case it sounds like the whole car was totaled and Tesla never touched it, but there does remain an inherent personal info issue as more and more such data is on vehicle computers and nobody is bothering to wipe it before sending those things into other hands.... Nothing at all specific to Cybertruck here, but a legit issue as more and more vehicles are "online" in this sense.

The spinal thing is not connected with this fitness, it's something that could happen to anybody.

The spinal thing was literally caused by him taking on an ill advised fight in the past.