Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way we could have closer to real-time battery health/estimated range estimates? Currently it only collects data after each charge, but one thing I miss coming from Teslamate is how it would poll the API for range estimates almost constantly, so even if I didn’t charge my car for hundreds of miles, it would still update and track after every x interval.

I enjoyed this because for some reason my car always showed a higher 100% estimated range when my battery percentage was low, like under 20%, versus when I charged it up higher to 80%+. So to me that likely showed that my BMS was out of whack and helped me get a clearer idea of actual “degradation”.

Attachments

• 971D1274-FDC5-4AC9-AA0F-E5CD840607D7.png
    971D1274-FDC5-4AC9-AA0F-E5CD840607D7.png
    183 KB · Views: 117
Is there any way we could have closer to real-time battery health/estimated range estimates? Currently it only collects data after each charge, but one thing I miss coming from Teslamate is how it would poll the API for range estimates almost constantly, so even if I didn’t charge my car for hundreds of miles, it would still update and track after every x interval.

I enjoyed this because for some reason my car always showed a higher 100% estimated range when my battery percentage was low, like under 20%, versus when I charged it up higher to 80%+. So to me that likely showed that my BMS was out of whack and helped me get a clearer idea of actual “degradation”.
The data is actually collected every 10 seconds. It's just displayed in correlation with charging because that is when the BMS is the most calibrated and the car's estimate is most correct. As you can see in your screenshot, when you don't measure it this way, the projected range is all over the place and is often wrong. I can see the value in seeing a more "complete" dataset like this though. Let me ponder it!

Another (not so) minor request. Feel free to ignore until you have time!

Could you find a way to make entering the rate schedule more painless? Best would be to crowd-source the work. For instance, at a minimum, allow importing & exporting CSV or XML or whatever so that Tessie users can share with each other. Or have it shareable (look-up-able) on the Tessie app itself and even automatically suggest the correct rate schedule automatically based on the vehicle's charging location. People move or rate schedules change over time and not everyone is on top of all the changes. This gives us an opportunity to share the work and make your customers happier on an on-going basis without requiring much (additional/on-going) work on your end.

I admit it's a selfish request because I dread entering the rate schedule so much, it's still blank. Problem is: besides the normal complications of:
  • Difference between Peak, Partial-Peak, Off-Peak times
  • Difference between Weekday vs Weekend vs Holiday
  • Difference between Summer and Winter
On top of that, PG&E still hasn't caught-up to 2007 and this adds another wrinkle because there's a:
  • Difference between the old daylight savings time and new daylight savings time (No one I talked to so far, including neighbors, friends, solar companies, and even representatives of my my own utility provider even know about this) PG&E schedule says: "DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: The time periods shown above will begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November." Source
On top of ALL OF THAT, I have yet another set of complications:
  • I buy power from my county's supplier (Peninsula Clean Energy - PCE), but it gets delivered by PG&E. The bill comes from PG&E and includes generation costs and then a generation credit, and it's 110% impossible to fully figure out the actual $/kWh rate.
  • I have a separate meter for EV-charging only and I have to pay a fixed monthly meter charge and some other fees. It would be nice to be able to "amortize" that over all the energy (kWh) consumed that month. <== I'll admit this may be asking way too much!
Okay.. Rant over. I'm not even sure Tessie can handle the weird daylight savings black-hole during those extra 2+2 weeks each year. I certainly haven't seen it handled anywhere. For over a decade, I have to set all of my Teslas' charging schedules 1 hour later because I can't remember which of the 2 weeks I need to set it 1 hour back and which one I need to set it 1 hour forward... it's insane. And whenever I complain to anyone, people just stare at me blankly. I guess I wouldn't mind putting in the work to enter it if I know it can benefit more people than just myself - gives me some motivation.

I noticed Tessie seems to allow overlapping rate schedules... Does it just "add-up" the rates of all the schedules that overlap for a particular time? And maybe the schedule period month needs more granularity besides whole months and need those "1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & last + day-of-week" options to define daylight-savings-based time periods.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Another (not so) minor request. Feel free to ignore until you have time!

Could you find a way to make entering the rate schedule more painless? Best would be to crowd-source the work. For instance, at a minimum, allow importing & exporting CSV or XML or whatever so that Tessie users can share with each other. Or have it shareable (look-up-able) on the Tessie app itself and even automatically suggest the correct rate schedule automatically based on the vehicle's charging location. People move or rate schedules change over time and not everyone is on top of all the changes. This gives us an opportunity to share the work and make your customers happier on an on-going basis without requiring much (additional/on-going) work on your end.

I admit it's a selfish request because I dread entering the rate schedule so much, it's still blank. Problem is: besides the normal complications of:
  • Difference between Peak, Partial-Peak, Off-Peak times
  • Difference between Weekday vs Weekend vs Holiday
  • Difference between Summer and Winter
On top of that, PG&E still hasn't caught-up to 2007 and this adds another wrinkle because there's a:
  • Difference between the old daylight savings time and new daylight savings time (No one I talked to so far, including neighbors, friends, solar companies, and even representatives of my my own utility provider even know about this) PG&E schedule says: "DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: The time periods shown above will begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November." Source
On top of ALL OF THAT, I have yet another set of complications:
  • I buy power from my county's supplier (Peninsula Clean Energy - PCE), but it gets delivered by PG&E. The bill comes from PG&E and includes generation costs and then a generation credit, and it's 110% impossible to fully figure out the actual $/kWh rate.
  • I have a separate meter for EV-charging only and I have to pay a fixed monthly meter charge and some other fees. It would be nice to be able to "amortize" that over all the energy (kWh) consumed that month. <== I'll admit this may be asking way too much!
Okay.. Rant over. I'm not even sure Tessie can handle the weird daylight savings black-hole during those extra 2+2 weeks each year. I certainly haven't seen it handled anywhere. For over a decade, I have to set all of my Teslas' charging schedules 1 hour later because I can't remember which of the 2 weeks I need to set it 1 hour back and which one I need to set it 1 hour forward... it's insane. And whenever I complain to anyone, people just stare at me blankly. I guess I wouldn't mind putting in the work to enter it if I know it can benefit more people than just myself - gives me some motivation.

I noticed Tessie seems to allow overlapping rate schedules... Does it just "add-up" the rates of all the schedules that overlap for a particular time? And maybe the schedule period month needs more granularity besides whole months and need those "1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & last + day-of-week" options to define daylight-savings-based time periods.
I'd like to add electric provider integration in the future to solve for these things.

No matter how complicated your electric situation is - and sometimes they get extremely complicated, as you have detailed - it's ultimately just a matter of what per kWh that you spend on average each month. Entering that as a flat rate to avoid the dread factor is definitely better than keeping it blank so the app can still give you some reasonably accurate insights.

The data is actually collected every 10 seconds. It's just displayed in correlation with charging because that is when the BMS is the most calibrated and the car's estimate is most correct. As you can see in your screenshot, when you don't measure it this way, the projected range is all over the place and is often wrong. I can see the value in seeing a more "complete" dataset like this though. Let me ponder it!

Totally understand! But if my car is at 5% charge and I charge up by only 5 kWh, my car still shows a higher 100% range so Tessie would theoretically reflect that. I completely get the nuance of legitimizing estimated battery health, but because it’s such a mystifying process, I really prefer to have more data points for reference.

Not a big deal, like I said it is just the only thing I miss from teslamate. Everything else? Outstanding.

Reactions: James@Tessie
New Tessie Yearly subscription member here. Was super impressed after the 14-day demo. I only bought my car (M3 AWD LR 2020 Post Facelift) a few weeks back but Tessie has become a daily use app. Thanks for producing such tremendous work.

I have one small request. Would it be possible to be able to include charging amps inside Automation > Charging schedules. I know this can be setup based on Arrival Location but it would be hugely useful if it could be set based on charging schedule. This way I could ensure that during the day, when the sun is shining, I keep the max charging rate beneath that which my solar array can chuck out, while at night, during off-peak, it can charge at the full 7kw that my home charger allows.

Thanks again for a great product that really adds to the community!

New Tessie Yearly subscription member here. Was super impressed after the 14-day demo. I only bought my car (M3 AWD LR 2020 Post Facelift) a few weeks back but Tessie has become a daily use app. Thanks for producing such tremendous work.

I have one small request. Would it be possible to be able to include charging amps inside Automation > Charging schedules. I know this can be setup based on Arrival Location but it would be hugely useful if it could be set based on charging schedule. This way I could ensure that during the day, when the sun is shining, I keep the max charging rate beneath that which my solar array can chuck out, while at night, during off-peak, it can charge at the full 7kw that my home charger allows.

Thanks again for a great product that really adds to the community!
Thanks for your kind words.

You can schedule your charging amps via Repeating automations so you can set different levels throughout the day/week. Did you try that?

Last edited:
  • Cold reduction amount is indicated by a blue bar on the battery. Will consider adding an explicit number for it.
Noticed something goofy: the iOS Tessie widget appears to display the % without discounting the cold portion of the battery pack while in-app the % indicated does exclude the blue part. I actually kind of like it b/c it gives me a way to see both without having to guess the size of the blue bar haha but obviously kinda confusing if you don't know why they are different.

Also another feature request: Calendar time at SOC % (maybe in Analytics on the idle page?). Studies show that calendar aging is primarily a factor of storage SOC and temperature. Seeing where the pack spends most of its time would be quite helpful here.

Along those lines, TeslaMate has a # of times charged to chart (i.e. 100 charges to 90%, 50 charges to 80%, etc) which is also neat (could live on the Charging analytics screen).

Noticed something goofy: the iOS Tessie widget appears to display the % without discounting the cold portion of the battery pack while in-app the % indicated does exclude the blue part. I actually kind of like it b/c it gives me a way to see both without having to guess the size of the blue bar haha but obviously kinda confusing if you don't know why they are different.

Also another feature request: Calendar time at SOC % (maybe in Analytics on the idle page?). Studies show that calendar aging is primarily a factor of storage SOC and temperature. Seeing where the pack spends most of its time would be quite helpful here.

Along those lines, TeslaMate has a # of times charged to chart (i.e. 100 charges to 90%, 50 charges to 80%, etc) which is also neat (could live on the Charging analytics screen).
Yeah, widgets take the cold portion into account in the next update to be consistent.

SOC measurements like calendar time and count are interesting ideas for sure! I'll give those some thought.

Hi, I just signed up for Tessie and I’m testing Siri commands. I defined “Open/Close Rear Trunk”. When I speak the command to Siri it does not work. I get “there was a problem completing my request” each time. It works manually by selecting/pressing the defined Siri shortcut. Is there something additional required for this Siri command? Thank you.

Hi, I just signed up for Tessie and I’m testing Siri commands. I defined “Open/Close Rear Trunk”. When I speak the command to Siri it does not work. I get “there was a problem completing my request” each time. It works manually by selecting/pressing the defined Siri shortcut. Is there something additional required for this Siri command? Thank you.
You can tap the name at the top of the shortcut to rename it. That's the phrase that Siri is looking for. For example, rename it to "Open the Trunk" and then you can say "Hey Siri, open the trunk".

Reactions: jerome8283
The app is available on MacOS, how about adding an easy way for use to use the Tessie app on MacOS to send a location to the car for navigation.

It's great on my phone to just hit share and select the Tesla app. on the desktop would be nice to hit share in google maps to copy the link and then past it to the Tessie app.

Reactions: tbaud
The app is available on MacOS, how about adding an easy way for use to use the Tessie app on MacOS to send a location to the car for navigation.

It's great on my phone to just hit share and select the Tesla app. on the desktop would be nice to hit share in google maps to copy the link and then past it to the Tessie app.
Yep, would love to add this! In the middle of prototyping it, actually. :)

This might be a very stupid request, but I thought I would check. Tessie is by far the best app I've used. I recently had Tesla solar panels installed, with backup gateway 2 and three powerwalls. Have you given any thought to adding solar functionality in a separate app or in a separate section of Tessie? I only ask because there are next to no third party apps for controlling this. Charge HQ is one option which pulls the API data and then adjusts the wall charger amps automatically so my car charges with only excess solar energy instead of pulling from the powerwalls. It's a decent app, but I think it could be better. It would be nice to be able to automate things like changing the car's max charge percentage based on whether or not the powerwalls are fully charged. Given what you have done with Tessie, I'm sure you could come up with a much more elegant solution. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there to see if you've ever thought about it.

Reactions: Baluchi
This might be a very stupid request, but I thought I would check. Tessie is by far the best app I've used. I recently had Tesla solar panels installed, with backup gateway 2 and three powerwalls. Have you given any thought to adding solar functionality in a separate app or in a separate section of Tessie? I only ask because there are next to no third party apps for controlling this. Charge HQ is one option which pulls the API data and then adjusts the wall charger amps automatically so my car charges with only excess solar energy instead of pulling from the powerwalls. It's a decent app, but I think it could be better. It would be nice to be able to automate things like changing the car's max charge percentage based on whether or not the powerwalls are fully charged. Given what you have done with Tessie, I'm sure you could come up with a much more elegant solution. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there to see if you've ever thought about it.
I'd never say never! But I don't have any solar set up so it's basically impossible to develop or test for.

That's one of the reasons I released an API that allows for integrating with almost any other system. Requires some coding though. :)