Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I could drive my car with my phone and no key, anyway? I admit I had to add my phone as a key, but isnt that the point? If I dont have my phone, likely I cant use the app to start the car. Just trying to think of a useful scenario for it is all. Thanks for the help! Is this more for the website and watch?

Last edited:
I thought I could drive my car with my phone and no key, anyway? I admit I had to add my phone as a key, but isnt that the point? If I dont have my phone, likely I cant use the app to start the car. Just trying to think of a useful scenario for it is all. Thanks for the help! Is this more for the website and watch?
Not all Teslas have the Phone Key feature you are describing - plus it can stop working randomly and leave you in a bad spot.

I personally have used it to allow someone to move my car while I was traveling, and also when a key fob ran out of battery and was unable to drive the car otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Spinkick
Above a nice option, if for nothing else an unexpected "oh shucks" moment.

James, with apologies, for I'm still working to read all 30 pages of this thread, I've a request:

Can we please have an automation that takes cabin heat and vents the window open 95F, honks then re-closes windows if it senses rain, and/or closes it and enables cabin protection at 105F?

Now before anybody panics about child or pet protection concerns, note that:

1) The routine only ran when:
A. The car reached a dangerous temperature situation. Thus this is a benefit to a child/pet.
B. The window was already closed when venting it, re-closing is pretty mild AND the horn honked as a warning.
C. Cabin protection is never shut-off, only enhanced.
D. The routine isn't piece-mealed together, and the cohesive nature and dependencies of the previous steps also support safety and elongated power availability. Example: The vented window close on rain can only be called for a vented position that was previously fully closed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Above a nice option, if for nothing else an unexpected "oh shucks" moment.

James, with apologies, for I'm still working to read all 30 pages of this thread, I've a request:

Can we please have an automation that takes cabin heat and vents the window open 95F, honks then re-closes windows if it senses rain, and/or closes it and enables cabin protection at 105F?

Now before anybody panics about child or pet protection concerns, note that:

1) The routine only ran when:
A. The car reached a dangerous temperature situation. Thus this is a benefit to a child/pet.
B. The window was already closed when venting it, re-closing is pretty mild AND the horn honked as a warning.
C. Cabin protection is never shut-off, only enhanced.
D. The routine isn't piece-mealed together, and the cohesive nature and dependencies of the previous steps also support safety and elongated power availability. Example: The vented window close on rain can only be called for a vented position that was previously fully closed.

Tesla just disabled remote window controls due to an NHTSA recall, so this could be illegal, and thus not something I can consider until it's resolved. Vehicle autonomy is in a real legal grey area right now because it's so new and no jurisdictions have meaningfully ruled on it.

That said, there are APIs and integrations with other platforms that allow you to build this at your own risk.

I'm chasing a phantom drain issue. I exported my charging activity. I noticed the "charging state" column is often empty. It's not critical now as I know the status but it might be different next time. FYI for the defects list.

Screenshot_20230304_105949_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I'm chasing a phantom drain issue. I exported my charging activity. I noticed the "charging state" column is often empty. It's not critical now as I know the status but it might be different next time. FYI for the defects list.

View attachment 913749
When the car goes idle, data polling turns off for 20 minutes to let the car sleep, so the charging state isn't known at that second. Logically it can always be determined by looking at the previous known charging state.

Reactions: KArnold
Any way we could get a filter on the timeline screen? Trying to debug some sleep issues my car is having and it would be super helpful to filter only parking and sleeping events to see when it started happening and if there are any weird trends.

Any way we could get a filter on the timeline screen? Trying to debug some sleep issues my car is having and it would be super helpful to filter only parking and sleeping events to see when it started happening and if there are any weird trends.
Good idea!

I recommend exporting that data and looking at it in a spreadsheet app to get another easily scannable view.

You can follow the guide at Eliminating Phantom Drain to fix sleep issues.

The car has to be unlocked and you have to be away for 3 minutes to get the unlocked notification. I'll consider automatic re-locking.
I was thinking about this and may have a reason this is happening. I have the app but my wife does not. Am I getting the notification because the doors are unlocked and I'm not near the car? Would this go away if my wife installs the app on her phone? Let me know your thoughts on this.

The biggest thing I feel this is missing is mileage reminders, coming soon hopefully?

I was thinking about this and may have a reason this is happening. I have the app but my wife does not. Am I getting the notification because the doors are unlocked and I'm not near the car? Would this go away if my wife installs the app on her phone? Let me know your thoughts on this.

The biggest thing I feel this is missing is mileage reminders, coming soon hopefully?
Anyone or any device - phones, key fobs, cards - in or near the car counts as user presence. You are getting the notifications because the doors are unlocked and the car detects no one is present.

I'm not sure what a mileage reminder is. Are you talking about tire rotation? If yes, that is coming soon. If not, no clue what it's about.

Anyone or any device - phones, key fobs, cards - in or near the car counts as user presence. You are getting the notifications because the doors are unlocked and the car detects no one is present.

I'm not sure what a mileage reminder is. Are you talking about tire rotation? If yes, that is coming soon. If not, no clue what it's about.
Yes I was talking about tire rotations but would be nice to have other reminders like cabin air filter, brake fluid, etc. Or even the option to get mileage through shortcuts to set up our own reminders.

Hello Jamie. Loving Tessie, find it very helpful. I've hit a snag and am hoping you'd be interested in a suggestion.

I use "Automations", "On Arrival" to start charging and it's super helpful. That it doesn't conflict with Tesla's "Departure Charge" routine is just amazingly helpful. However, it misses "Arrival" charge starts once in a while yet doing the other things scheduled for arrival. I'm thinking it's because sometime the command times out (60 seconds per the ap) before my wife gets in pulled in, parked, out, navigates the charging station, and get plugged in.

There are a couple ways to approach enhancing the command if you'd willing.
1) Delaying initiation of the "Start Charge" by a minute, or even two.
2) Add an option to the automation menu for "Command Start Delay" (might be useful for other things that way).
3) Extend the command time-out from 60 seconds to 120, or even 180.

Thanks for thinking about it!!
-d

Hello Jamie. Loving Tessie, find it very helpful. I've hit a snag and am hoping you'd be interested in a suggestion.

I use "Automations", "On Arrival" to start charging and it's super helpful. That it doesn't conflict with Tesla's "Departure Charge" routine is just amazingly helpful. However, it misses "Arrival" charge starts once in a while yet doing the other things scheduled for arrival. I'm thinking it's because sometime the command times out (60 seconds per the ap) before my wife gets in pulled in, parked, out, navigates the charging station, and get plugged in.

There are a couple ways to approach enhancing the command if you'd willing.
1) Delaying initiation of the "Start Charge" by a minute, or even two.
2) Add an option to the automation menu for "Command Start Delay" (might be useful for other things that way).
3) Extend the command time-out from 60 seconds to 120, or even 180.

Thanks for thinking about it!!
-d
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to understand what you're trying to achieve here: On Arrival > Start Charge because you have Departure charging enabled, and it would not start otherwise. Is that right?

If so, an alternative is to use Automation > Charging Schedule + Preconditioning. Then, when you tell it to Start Charging on arrival, it will create an override of the schedule, and should charge when plugged in! The schedule will automatically resume the next time you plug in, or when you tap the "override" message next to the schedule.

I explained poorly. Let me try to do a better job.

My wife is, always has been, a "Don't bother me with how a car works. I'll drive it, you fix it" kind of girl. I've given her one basic rule: "When you get home plug the car in. It will take care of itself from there." It does. Here's how:

Tessie Automations/On Arrival/Start Charge works wonderfully, and happily in concert with the factory Departure Schedule. In fact, it's an awesome 1-2 combination that delivers incredible flexibility and great way to maintain both a low SoC and have great available range. It's certainly the right combination for this home.

However, Tessie automation has a time-out feature that hurts me sometimes. My wife isn't always able to get the car plugged in within 60 seconds and if she doesn't Tessie automation times-out. This is what's kicking my ass:
1678425235169.png

For many commands a 60 second time-out is plenty. For "Start Charge" there is enough going on once you "arrive" that 60 seconds can pass before you can get plugged in. I'm hoping you agree and consider either adding a minute or two delay before command start or otherwise extend the time-out of that command.

-d

I explained poorly. Let me try to do a better job.

My wife is, always has been, a "Don't bother me with how a car works. I'll drive it, you fix it" kind of girl. I've given her one basic rule: "When you get home plug the car in. It will take care of itself from there." It does. Here's how:

Tessie Automations/On Arrival/Start Charge works wonderfully, and happily in concert with the factory Departure Schedule. In fact, it's an awesome 1-2 combination that delivers incredible flexibility and great way to maintain both a low SoC and have great available range. It's certainly the right combination for this home.

However, Tessie automation has a time-out feature that hurts me sometimes. My wife isn't always able to get the car plugged in within 60 seconds and if she doesn't Tessie automation times-out. This is what's kicking my ass:
View attachment 915967
For many commands a 60 second time-out is plenty. For "Start Charge" there is enough going on once you "arrive" that 60 seconds can pass before you can get plugged in. I'm hoping you agree and consider either adding a minute or two delay before command start or otherwise extend the time-out of that command.

-d
I can't extend the timeout for safety and technical reasons, but if you follow the alternative I mentioned (disable scheduled departure and create a charging schedule and/or a preconditioning automation instead) it'll logically eliminate the timing issue. It'll allow the car to start charging on arrival regardless of the timing/command timeout.

However, Tessie automation has a time-out feature that hurts me sometimes.
It appears you want to both start charging at arrival *AND* use the Scheduled Departure charge? Not sure I'm understanding you goal but perhaps you could use both. That is, using the "on arrival" to set maximum SOC/start charging and Scheduled Departure as you do now but add the automation to also start charging at 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, etc., as needed? The latter could be a CYA for those times when the automation times out.

I agree, a "pause x minutes before executing automation" would be a nice feature to have.

Just a thought.

KArnold:
Yes. yes, they work nicely together save for the time-out.

All:
For weekend & evening needs 50% capacity is plenty, and departure is usually unknown in advance. Just keeping it plugged in when not in set to 50% max meets our needs and optimises battery health. "On Arrival" charge, works if we plug in fast enough. I"ll check Tessie's charging schedule, it too may co-exist, but it seems less likely.

Giving up "Scheduled Departure" is a no fly zone. Scheduled departure allows for the charge need to be reversed into the correct start time, and that means peak SoC is met just before departure. This is best practice for battery health, and we prefer to start the work morning out at 63%.

What happens is I use automations to stop charging and increase the max batttery level to 63% at midnight. Anytime you change set levels and have Scheduled Departure programmed Tesla re-evaluates the charge start time. Since it's not negated by an automation "start charge" I get the best of both worlds.

Had I known the state of charge at all times of course we'd not need the variable start time of Scheduled Departure, but it's often not back to 50% at midnight.

I've no idea if Tessie scheduled charging will co-exist or not. I'll test this evening/weekend. I though it timed out after some number of hours too, but we'll see.

Jamie:
If things change and a "delay before execute" option seems palatable that would be great. Meanwhile, is "Turn off Scheduled Departure" and "Turn on Scheduled Departure" via automations feasible and of potential value to customers?