Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed up, specifically to use the Alexa skill, but it doesn't quite do what I'd like.

I'd like to combine multiple functions into a single routine. For example I'd like to create one where I say "Alexa, warm up the car" that will turn on climate, set the temp to 72, turn on the seat heater and turn on the steering wheel heater. However the Alexa app will only allow you to issue one "custom" command per routine, and each of those things is a different command to Tessie. So I'd either have to ask Alexa to do each one of those things individually or I'd have to use IFTTT which I've found to be pretty unreliable in the past.

Is there any way you guys could add a way to do custom commands in your app? Or just add some generic ones like "warm up" and "cool down" that combine multiple API calls into a single command?

I just signed up, specifically to use the Alexa skill, but it doesn't quite do what I'd like.

I'd like to combine multiple functions into a single routine. For example I'd like to create one where I say "Alexa, warm up the car" that will turn on climate, set the temp to 72, turn on the seat heater and turn on the steering wheel heater. However the Alexa app will only allow you to issue one "custom" command per routine, and each of those things is a different command to Tessie. So I'd either have to ask Alexa to do each one of those things individually or I'd have to use IFTTT which I've found to be pretty unreliable in the past.

Is there any way you guys could add a way to do custom commands in your app? Or just add some generic ones like "warm up" and "cool down" that combine multiple API calls into a single command?
Yeah, this is a rather strange Alexa limitation. Alexa phrases are hard coded on Amazon's end, so there's no way to create custom ones.

For scheduled routines, there's a big new feature in the works that will allow you to automate everything directly from Tessie. It's going to be a vastly superior experience to other control systems on the market which are laden with weird usability issues like this.

Yeah, this is a rather strange Alexa limitation. Alexa phrases are hard coded on Amazon's end, so there's no way to create custom ones.

For scheduled routines, there's a big new feature in the works that will allow you to automate everything directly from Tessie. It's going to be a vastly superior experience to other control systems on the market which are laden with weird usability issues like this.

What about allowing the user to create custom sequences on your server and then having the Alexa phrase be something like… "Alexa, Ask Tessie Control to execute preset 1” and have the number parsed as a parameter, like a temperature value? Then on your end you can process that request using the preset ID and execute the commands requested? Or if you really have to hard code it then just have a limit of like 10 for each user and add the phrases "execute preset one" through "execute preset ten" to the Alexa skill.

Schedules mean nothing to me as I don’t have a set schedule. I just need to tell Alexa to do this a few minutes before I leave the house, whenever that may be.

What about allowing the user to create custom sequences on your server and then having the Alexa phrase be something like… "Alexa, Ask Tessie Control to execute preset 1” and have the number parsed as a parameter, like a temperature value? Then on your end you can process that request using the preset ID and execute the commands requested? Or if you really have to hard code it then just have a limit of like 10 for each user and add the phrases "execute preset one" through "execute preset ten" to the Alexa skill.

Schedules mean nothing to me as I don’t have a set schedule. I just need to tell Alexa to do this a few minutes before I leave the house, whenever that may be.
Yeah, I think I can get something like this to work. I'll add this to the roadmap.

Automation and charging schedule beta now live! Check it out at my.tessie.com/automation. Mobile app betas coming soon.

Send any issues to [email protected].
Kind of nervous about this, but I also wonder whether this kind of automation is going to work for me. I appreciate that my exact needs aren’t necessarily the point of the feature too 😀

If I set a simple daily schedule that charges between 0030-0430 (cheap rate) I’m assuming I lose the ability to bump a charge manually, based on the biblical schedule clash warnings and that the schedule only permits charging in that window. Is that right?

Also if I set preconditioning to considerably after the off-peak window (say, 0700) will that even work? The warning messages seem to indicate not, but I could be worrying too much.

Basically I’d like to be able to set a % target SoC and automatically use cheap rate electricity only to get me as near as possible to the target SoC each night … but be able also to precondition on days I’m driving and be able to “relax” the time rules on a manual basis using only the minimum amount of peak rate electricity to get to the target SoC.

I can’t quite wrap my head around whether this is even possible with the beta (I think it’s not…) or whether some other combination of automations can do the same job. Anyone any advice?

If I set a simple daily schedule that charges between 0030-0430 (cheap rate) I’m assuming I lose the ability to bump a charge manually, based on the biblical schedule clash warnings and that the schedule only permits charging in that window. Is that right?
Correct. If you tell it you want to charge from 12am-8am, it will only charge from 12am-8am - otherwise there's not any point to a schedule, unless I'm missing something? If something in the UI is causing confusion, let me know so I can improve it.

Basically I’d like to be able to set a % target SoC and automatically use cheap rate electricity only to get me as near as possible to the target SoC each night … but be able also to precondition on days I’m driving and be able to “relax” the time rules on a manual basis using only the minimum amount of peak rate electricity to get to the target SoC.

I can’t quite wrap my head around whether this is even possible with the beta (I think it’s not…) or whether some other combination of automations can do the same job. Anyone any advice?
Your charge limit is your "% target SoC", though you could totally create an automation and set that alongside the charging schedule too.

If you want to use cheap electricity rate only to get to as close to that as you can, you would create a charging schedule for that time.

If you want to do preconditioning for certain days, you would create an automation to do that on those days.

Relaxing the time rules "on a manual basis" would just be disabling the charging schedule.

You can also mix the two. If you like the way Scheduled Departure's charging logic works (the car makes a loose effort to fit charging within the off-peak window, but doesn't care too much about it and will ignore it in order to meet your charge limit), you can use that and use automations to control preconditioning.

Last edited:
Correct. If you tell it you want to charge from 12am-8am, it will only charge from 12am-8am - otherwise there's not any point to a schedule, unless I'm missing something? If something in the UI is causing confusion, let me know so I can improve it.

Your charge limit is your "% target SoC", though you could totally create an automation and set that alongside the charging schedule too.

If you want to use cheap electricity rate only to get to as close to that as you can, you would create a charging schedule for that time.

If you want to do preconditioning for certain days, you would create an automation to do that on those days.

Relaxing the time rules "on a manual basis" would just be disabling the charging schedule.

Hopefully that all makes intuitive sense. :)
As far as it goes, yes! I totally get the simplicity of it, and I think that’s where my “problem” stems 😀

I’m going to have a play with some settings and schedules and have a proper think about it, then send some feedback and probably a suggestion or two for future features into the support@ email inbox rather than here. I’m all too aware that discussions like this on forums can put people off and I’m genuinely a big fan of Tessie 😀

As far as it goes, yes! I totally get the simplicity of it, and I think that’s where my “problem” stems 😀

I’m going to have a play with some settings and schedules and have a proper think about it, then send some feedback and probably a suggestion or two for future features into the support@ email inbox rather than here. I’m all too aware that discussions like this on forums can put people off and I’m genuinely a big fan of Tessie 😀
Fantastic!

Just published a charging schedule guide here which should help!

Will there ever be a more daily schedule?
I work 4 days a week and only need preconditioning on those days. That one day and its in my garage running while im sleeping in on my day off.🤪

As I understand it the beta scheduler might be able to do this for you already :

Create Automation > Repeating
Action = Start Climate / Preconditioning

Then select your “working” days and your climate preconditioning start time for those “working” days and disable Tesla’s settings completely. I’d probably set this schedule at your “Home” tagged location too.

Reactions: James@Tessie
As I understand it the beta scheduler might be able to do this for you already :

Create Automation > Repeating
Action = Start Climate / Preconditioning

Then select your “working” days and your climate preconditioning start time for those “working” days and disable Tesla’s settings completely. I’d probably set this schedule at your “Home” tagged location too.
Automation > Repeating > Start Preconditioning > select your 4 days a week

Is this what you're looking for, or something different?
Ok, so i have to automate it through Google?

Nope. You do it through the app (if you're in the beta) or tessie.com on your desktop.
Im in the app and this is the autmation i see. Am i in the correct spot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220718-160309.jpg
    Screenshot_20220718-160309.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 62
Are you a beta tester? If so, update your app and Automation will be a new tile on the home screen. If you're not a beta tester, you can use it from tessie.com on your desktop until it comes to your

Are you a beta tester? If so, update your app and Automation will be a new tile on the home screen. If you're not a beta tester, you can use it from tessie.com on your desktop until it comes to your app.
No, i don't believe I am a beta tester.
Ill access it when i get home tonight..
Thanks!