Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They work fine for me. The key is to put them straight down, not pushed back against the glass like I've done in other cars.

Work fine in FL. It might be related to geography, the sun being lower in the sky for you guys up north. OTOH, I'd still like to receive my pano roof shade.....

The sun sits way below the bottom of the visor and yes I have the visor straight down for the most coverage but again totally useless. My other vehicles the visor would cover the whole sky and come down to the tree lines in the distance basically far enough down you could block the roofs of cars on the road so they would always block the sun even when it's setting. The problem with the MS visor is they it's so narrow it leaves most of the sky open and well that's where the sun is totally exposed blaring right into my eyes.

The sun sits way below the bottom of the visor and yes I have the visor straight down for the most coverage but again totally useless. My other vehicles the visor would cover the whole sky and come down to the tree lines in the distance basically far enough down you could block the roofs of cars on the road so they would always block the sun even when it's setting. The problem with the MS visor is they it's so narrow it leaves most of the sky open and well that's where the sun is totally exposed blaring right into my eyes.
I probably sit higher than you, but they visor covers the sky down to the horizon for me.

Have you tried moving the seat up higher?

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear readin...

I probably sit higher than you, but they visor covers the sky down to the horizon for me.

Me too. I am 6'2". My 5'2" wife keeps her seat high and they work for her.

EDIT & CLARIFICATION: to be clear, I am saying that the visors work fine for myself and my wife.

Last edited:
I find the visors are very bad when moved to the side window. They are not long enough

I've found this to be the case with every car, some are far worse than the Model S. I haven't researched it, but I suspect there is some regulation that makes them the way they are. The 1959 Lincoln had tinted sun visors that you could use as if they were a pair of sunglasses. It came down really low too.

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear readin...

Maybe they should just include free Ray Bans with MS purchase since the visors are such a piece of crap. Chalk it up to safety. lol

I guess they'll wait for someone to get into an accident and then sue Tesla for making such a crappy visor that it doesn't block out the sun and as a result they were blinded and rear ended someone. Maybe that'll convince Tesla to construct something half worthy.

Maybe they should just include free Ray Bans with MS purchase since the visors are such a piece of crap. Chalk it up to safety. lol

I guess they'll wait for someone to get into an accident and then sue Tesla for making such a crappy visor that it doesn't block out the sun and as a result they were blinded and rear ended someone. Maybe that'll convince Tesla to construct something half worthy.

Amen brother. I am only 5'2" and I sit as high up as the seat goes....and I wouldn't dream of driving without my sunglasses.

Have you tried moving the seat up higher?

I am about 5'10" but am "short" from the waist up, so I do keep my seat elevated a bit too. I find the visors work well as long as you keep them down and not pushed back against the glass. In fact, if they were any lower, I wouldn't be able to see the road. For me, they cover pretty much down to the horizon. They are a bit lacking when you swing them over to the side, however.

Bump. Since the panoramic roof sunshades have finally arrived, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the visors being replaced with ones that have real lighted vanity mirrors. It just seems like for a car at this price and it has been in production for awhile now, this should have been taken care of by now.