Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh Elon Musk, Oh Elon Musk, please re-lease 100D [tune of Oh Christmas tree]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When can I configure and purchase an X 100D this year?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an X at any time. Even before Jan 1. Pre-approved, etc. Watching for 100D since last quarter.

The message to Tesla is: if I order a 90D today [regrets aside] Tesla will be leaving $$$ on the table that I would commit to a 100D.

Right now there is a huge price gap between a loaded 90D and the P100D.
Love the P100D product, just it is not practical in any real volume. Try explaining the difference to your significant other.

Bring X 100D to the masses. [ Just me would be ok, too.]

Comment if you're watching for an X 100D & ready to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Cowby and s4sammy
Me too. My current BMW lease supposes to end this month, I had to extend it for 2 more months (that's the max) hoping the 100D will be released soon. P100D is too much for me to spend on a car at this point.

Same here. I don't give much credence to the slight possibility of a software key to 100D? 100D battery appears to be specifically reworked (cooling) vs the prior packs.
Range envy will haunt me if not chosen correctly.
Tesla: make it easy, put 100D on the configure site for order.

I've waited this far for a 100D but it now starts to be a little risky not to order if you want the free supercharging for life.

Bingo. I think you just hit the nail on the head. Just an assumption, but the 100D will likely be announced once the supercharging for life expires. Why release it now when they can make sales on the 90D because of the lifetime SC?

My current BMW lease supposes to end this month, I had to extend it for 2 more months (that's the max) hoping the 100D will be released soon.

You're already in trouble if that's your plan. Even if they released a 100D today, you'd be unlikely to get it before March. They build non-North America cars in the first half of the quarter than NA cars after that. Nobody that orders a car today should expect to get it within 90 days. As much as Tesla likes to quote "6-8 weeks" that's an average where if you order at the end of the quarter you can get in 3 weeks and if you order at the beginning you get it in 12.

Yeah, I know I wouldn't receive it for awhile. I just have to drive my weekend family car (minivan) for awhile....
That's a dreadful first world problem you have there. My sympathies.. :)

Tesla is really juggling multiple variables now to maximize revenue and margin.
Surely when they announce a 350 mile car that's significantly cheaper than the current flagship, they can sell many of them. 75 and 90 buyers would upgrade. But the richest and most impulsive buyers are now going for the ludicrous spaceship. Those buyers would have paid $20k more also probably. And with the 100D avaiable may have had to pick range versus 0-60, and many would take the sensible option. Without the +10% or so of range from the non-P model (stunning if you think of it, a lot of inefficiencies for the extra performance on tap), no reason to weigh them against each other. Hugely more margin for Tesla. And if indeed production limited, a way to get more cash sooner.

Last edited:
I'll be ordering an X90D this month. I'd love to make it a 100D for $10k. The P100D is overkill for my road trip car, and way too costly for just adding range. I'll see what details they release about future supercharging pricing this month (hopefully). If they still offer an attractive all-in price I might wait into Q1 2017 to see if the 100D is offered. Otherwise I'll go for the included supercharging and the 90D and cross my fingers for a chance to upgrade in 2017.

They build non-North America cars in the first half of the quarter than NA cars after that. Nobody that orders a car today should expect to get it within 90 days. As much as Tesla likes to quote "6-8 weeks" that's an average where if you order at the end of the quarter you can get in 3 weeks and if you order at the beginning you get it in 12.

That's an interesting observation. I suspect this is from info somewhere else in the forum, Quarterly Conference call, etc.?
Let us all know.

I'd anticipate a lot of upcoming great deals on S and X models with AP 1.0. What kind of discounts are you seeing?

I just received a quote with a discount of $4,100 for an inventory x90D. But they also wanted to charge an additional $1,000 transport fee (which was previously $500 before the price increase) from Sunnyvale to Texas on top of the $1,200 destination fee. I've decided to order instead since the potential savings was only $3,100 in order to get more cameras.