Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but Tim got is battery pack replaced at 11k miles. I wonder if the 90kW charging limit is the pack? The wiring is capable to deliver 320kW so there should be no problem to accept 120kW of charging power. Could it be micro controllers and/or sensors here? And they are not part of a firmware update (even more speculation)?

I spoke with an extremely knowledgeable and credible Tesla person today. I cannot say who and I cannot give details until Tesla officially responds (soon). For now:

0) The issue is real
1) Some car's hardware is the issue
2) Tesla knows they need to communicate this; a big plan is in the works
3) in my opinion, more of those affected speaking out constructively now will affect the response/outcome
Thanks Vger. I haven't heard back since I last emailed Tesla (Tuesday, I think), but if Tesla has some plan for a general communication I'll wait a while before pushing. I'm not sure what I can expect personally, if anything, if the limit is in the super expensive battery pack itself.

But hopefully my voice was just one of multiple helping convince Tesla that supercharging support an important piece of data to communicate and make publicly accessible for each VIN.

I spoke with an extremely knowledgeable and credible Tesla person today. I cannot say who and I cannot give details until Tesla officially responds (soon). For now:

0) The issue is real
1) Some car's hardware is the issue
2) Tesla knows they need to communicate this; a big plan is in the works
3) in my opinion, more of those affected speaking out constructively now will affect the response/outcome

Good! I like the fact that "a big plan is in the works" and appreciate you contacting Tesla.

Thanks Vger. I haven't heard back since I last emailed Tesla (Tuesday, I think), but if Tesla has some plan for a general communication I'll wait a while before pushing. I'm not sure what I can expect personally, if anything, if the limit is in the super expensive battery pack itself.

I'm doubtful that the entire pack would need replacing. Most likely some micro-controllers or DC bypass contactors that should be retrofittable.

I was notified by Tesla Service today that three of my coolant pumps will be replaced proactively by Tesla because a better and more reliable pump has been designed.
My car's way earlier than yours. I wonder if they will ever contact me about that -- it might be a "P85" thing.

I'm thrilled that Tesla is reaching out to its customers to update components proactively as components are being improved. If they are doing this with coolant pumps, pano roofs, and various other items, I'm sure they would also do this with the supercharging hardware if that was an issue.
The trouble is that it's more than a little random who gets contacted about specific components.

I just got my main battery replaced (not on purpose, I promise). Car will be returned tomorrow.

So with the possibility that the 60's can charge above 90kW (thanks Discoducky), looks like I should be able to partake in the action. Nice silver lining to the battery replacement situation.

As an owner with a low VIN my thought is that Supercharging was billed as A thing (e.g. "85kWh cars are supercharge enabled") not something with various levels. When I bought the car I knew it didn't have back-up sensors or power mirrors; I thought it was Supercharging enabled, not Supercharging-lite enabled. After all, the window sticker just says that Supercharging is INCLUDED and is silent about charge rate.

I get that Tesla will add new features as they go and as a Model X reservation holder I'm exited to see what they add next. Supercharging, however, was billed, IMHO, as a concrete thing not something with levels to be determined later.

Anywho, I've been feeling uneasy about this whole thing and I guess this is why. As we all get used to EVs things like this will be better understood but for now Tesla will have to deal with the (potentially unfair) expectations of customers. Gasoline flow rate isn't a concern with ICEs but DC charge rate is for EVs and, until very recently, I thought my car was capable of full Supercharging when it probably isn't. I'll adjust and get over it but I've learned something.

Last edited:
As an owner with a low VIN my thought is that Supercharging was billed as A thing (e.g. "85kWh cars are supercharge enabled") not something with various levels. When I bought the car I knew it didn't have back-up sensors or power mirrors; I thought it was Supercharging enabled, not Supercharging-lite enabled. After all, the window sticker just says that Supercharging is INCLUDED and is silent about charge rate.

I get that Tesla will add new features as they go and as a Model X reservation holder I'm exited to see what they add next. Supercharging, however, was billed, IMHO, as a concrete thing not something with levels to be determined later.

Anywho, I've been feeling uneasy about this whole thing and I guess this is why. As we all get used to EVs things like this will be better understood but for now Tesla will have to deal with the (potentially unfair) expectations of customers. Gasoline flow rate isn't a concern with ICEs but DC charge rate is for EVs and, until very recently, I thought my car was capable of full Supercharging when it probably isn't. I'll adjust and get over it but I've learned something.

This is exactly how I feel. No sense of entitlement for new features, or for upgrades that aren't categorized as "fixes". I was surprised by my 90 kW charging limit on 120 kW chargers since there was no word from Tesla on this - we had all assumed all cars were equal in this regard.

Older Tesla's limited to 90kwh super charging

As a stockholder and a big fan of Tesla, what I'm most concerned by here is the fact that signature owners, those that supported the company early on with a significant deposit, seem to end up holding the short end of the stick more frequently than the general population. It's items like this that made me cancel my sig X reservation in favor of a general production. If it turns out that all sigs are impacted (assuming original battery) and a few number of production cars, I would recommend Tesla swap out the packs of all impacted cars. Maintaining the brand value of signature is important moving forward.

The old packs can be used at the super chargers to store energy from solar and to remove the demand-charges from the utilities. Or maybe retrofitted and used elsewhere.

So it seems a 60 kWh battery > Sig 85 kWh battery in this regard. Nice work, Tesla. :(

I'd bet TM fixes it

How can you charge at more than 90KW at a 90KW charger?

All the superchargers I visited are now 120kW. Centralia to Hawthorne on I-5

Can you confirm Woodburn if you stop there as well, I am pretty sure it's 120.

Confirmed.
WP_20131211_003 (2).jpg

Lyon

I have VIN# 2449 and have been able to charge at close to 120Kw at Darien South CT. My rated miles left weren't low enough to get the full 120Kw but I came close and sure I would have gotten it fully if my rated miles were less than 50.

Aaron

Lyon

I have VIN# 2449 and have been able to charge at close to 120Kw at Darien South CT. My rated miles left weren't low enough to get the full 120Kw but I came close and sure I would have gotten it fully if my rated miles were less than 50.

Aaron

That's great news Aaron! What's you vin again? There seems to be a discrepancy between your post and your signature. In any event, I still feel the same way about this; anyone who ended up with Supercharging-lite because they were too eager to buy Model S has, IMHO, a justifiable beef.

I will not be surprised when Tesla announces that they're going to fix the issue though. So far they have been extraordinarily responsive to issues like this.