Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was Mrs. White in the kitchen with the wrench.

I'm wondering if a smarter and more industrious forum member than myself could consolidate the vin#, max charge 90vs120 and battery labels together and see if an obvious trend emerges?

I am neither but since I started yesterday, I am planning to post a table summary of the battery codes vs VIN vs SC capability clues. Taking longer than I expected but please stay tuned and keep posting your stickers. By the way, for those of you who have S/N cut off because you didn't get your camera low enough, please post if you are OK with that as it seems part of the story. And apologies in advance, but I am only including the 85kWh batteries since the 60's case is even more obtuse.

I would say thus far that this problem may extend well beyond "Older Teslas" (the title of this thread) given the "A" batteries of @ken830 and mine (mine is so far the youngest "A" to show up). Ken has confirmed 90kW limiting and my status is undetermined so far since I refused to upgrade beyond firmware 4.5 so far. Ken and I would certainly not be happy campers if we somehow got selected out of the 120kW supercharging game with such recent deliveries. More to come.

+1 - this is exactly the feeling I have. One of the reason I sold my Roadster is the lack of support (ex. no AC charging at superchargers, feeling somewhat abandoned). As for my Sig S, I think we should get more consideration than just a sport bag. This doesn't have to be that much, but they should work on the perception side of it.

However, Tesla is now a successful company and they sell more car that they can produce... So their goal is accomplished.

Not really. If tesla keeps giving itself a bad reputation, it will be destroyed by competition sooner or later. Even a 10 year head start wears off eventually. Tesla needs to develop a reputation as better than other car dealers.

Not really. If tesla keeps giving itself a bad reputation, it will be destroyed by competition sooner or later. Even a 10 year head start wears off eventually. Tesla needs to develop a reputation as better than other car dealers.

And you think anyone outside this echo chamber is noticing the horrible pain that has been inflicted on a few by the fact that those who didn't get their cars as early can charge five minutes faster?

This terrifying, inhumane disaster will possibly slow down the reservation rate of Sig Model X or lead to some Sig reservations being canceled, but that's invisible to the outside world.

But even if it wasn't. The plight of people who have 40k$ laying around to give as interest free loan to a company run and partly owned by a billionaire and who then don't get all the goodies they feel entitled to... Not exactly headline material.

As a shareholder, if someone where to ask me "should Tesla shower Sig owners in free battery upgrades or use those tens of millions to get the Model X out the door or invest in more Superchargers or..."... I'll let you guess what my advice would be.

I got ~120 kW charging at Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch, Hawthorne, and Quartzsite between December 20th and December 28th. I actually got a bit better than 120 kW at Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch- I pulled into Tejon with 16 miles left and got a peak power of 124 kW (346 Amps and 358 Volts). I got slightly less at Harris Ranch (116 kW and 110 kW) even though I pulled in with 9 miles left the second time. In July, the best I was able to do at Harris, Tejon, Hawthorne, Barstow, Buelton, and Atascadero was exactly 90 kW at Tejon. I logged all the data from these trips at 5 minute intervals using the REST node script and I'll post a comparison of charge curves when I get the time.

I'm VIN 5785, I've got pack T13B0006864 with part number 1014114-00-B. The left side of the label has a QR code, has 400V 85 kWHr in the center and 1011721-00-B on the bottom left.

P83, VIN #1571, delivered Nov 29, 2012
90kW max
battery sn.JPG

Last edited:
@ service center today...word is that the firmware on the battery along w/ SN/PN create the 3-tuple that dictate 90 vs 120 capability...

I will dig some more when I pick up the car later this afternoon...the guys here have been trying to figure it out as well.

I wonder if people would be pissed off if there's another cut-off point for 135kW charging capability (and so forth).

I can only assume that people would be upset if Tesla sent out misleading statements implying that all Model S' could supercharge at 135kW (without even an asterisk and small print legalese) and then have owners find out by themselves that this is not true. I'm upset because I spent 2 months trouble shooting with my SC advisors, thinking my battery had a problem. All I ever heard was we don't know why you can't charge faster, just wait until the stations are upgraded. Then I find out on this forum that this issue was well known to Tesla from the start. I'm more pissed that I couldn't get a straight answer than the actual charge limitation.