Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw, here's my battery serial number. Car delivered 3/18/13, but HV battery replaced 12/18/13. Haven't tried SC since.
View attachment 39431

Wow -- notable for at least 3 reasons:
1) Newest battery posted so far
2) Completely different sticker and part number than the ones posted before
3) Confirms they use "I" for a month code (I was thinking they may skip "I" like in VIN numbers) -- so this sets the most probable serial number coding as A-L == Jan-Dec

You've now messed up the table I'm compiling...

@ service center today...word is that the firmware on the battery along w/ SN/PN create the 3-tuple that dictate 90 vs 120 capability...
I will dig some more when I pick up the car later this afternoon...the guys here have been trying to figure it out as well.

Kind of bizarre the left hand can't figure out what the right hand is doing, but please press them on it and post back here!

Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging

Probably restating the obvious here: at some point, these enormous charging rates are going to punish the battery however smart Tesla's BMS might be. Particularly so when you arrive at a supercharger with a "hot" battery after fast freeway driving and more so, in the summer. Degradation's going to be high in all likelihood.

I arrived at Gilroy the other night after some spirited driving through the Pacheco Pass Hwy twisties over from I-5. When I started charging at 105 kW with ambient temps in the mid-to-high 40s, the battery cooling fans were making such a din that I was afraid the neighboring outlets might be tempted to open up again ;)

Probably restating the obvious here: at some point, these enormous charging rates are going to punish the battery however smart Tesla's BMS might be. Particularly so when you arrive at a supercharger with a "hot" battery after fast freeway driving and more so, in the summer. Degradation's going to be high in all likelihood.

I arrived at Gilroy the other night after some spirited driving through the Pacheco Pass Hwy twisties over from I-5. When I started charging at 105 kW with ambient temps in the mid-to-high 40s, the battery cooling fans were making such a din that I was afraid the neighboring outlets might be tempted to open up again ;)

that's the beautiful thing about temperature management. Presuming the TPMS is engineered to be robust enough to take the upward adjustments in charging speed, the battery should stay out of the range killing zone. the Leaf is a whole other story. The west coast green highway went in pretty early in our area, several folks drove continuously at high speeds using quick chargers and saw some permanent loss, pretty much immediately.

So I think that the code in the lower left of the original-type sticker is a version code for the sticker itself, as someone else suggested.

The pattern I noticed is that all the "A" STICKERS (not PNs) say "ASSEMBLED IN THE USA" and all the "B" STICKERS say "MADE IN THE USA FABRIQUÉ AUX ÉTATS-UNIS" -- bi-lingual English/French to comply with Canadian law. It seems that the change was made just before the batteries for Canadian cars, beginning with VIN S02000, were built. Probably one of the little details that held back approval from Transport Canada while we up here were all wringing our hands. :wink:

----

Interesting that this new battery PN on CatB's very recently-built battery is a new number but retains the "B" suffix. I am guessing that the number difference signifies a distinction in the mechanical design (post-fires?) and that the "B" suffix still indicates the 120 kW-capable revised electrical spec.

- - - Updated - - -

The car may also signal the SC to cut back on power if the pack temps are too high.

Yes, and Jerome implied this in his form letter to us aggrieved ones:
Jerome Guillen said:
Of course, charging times vary, based on the supercharger load, temperature, etc.
[bolding is mine]

Last edited:
I started a private owner thread over at TM Forums and linked to this thread. It may be worthwhile for some of the folks here to chime in on the TM Forum thread, as that one is most likely being monitored by Tesla. I think it's important for Tesla to hear opinions from its owners. Also, since the TM Forum thread is a private owner thread, you must have owner access to the TM Forums. As an owner, you can send an email to Ownership and they will enable this special access if you haven't already received it.

Just to add more confusion to the mix of battery pack labels. Here is the label from my replacement pack that was installed end of September 2013.

IMG_20131229_125702_007.jpg

Just to add more confusion to the mix of battery pack labels. Here is the label from my replacement pack that was installed end of September 2013.

That's either a "rebuilt" pack, or a leftover, it has a "November 2012" date code. I guess they are going to use rebuilt/refurbed packs as replacements, we can't expect them to supply a brand new replacement pack, they're going to have to repair the ones that come in, and reuse them...

I have a very late Dec 2012 car and it looks like I got lucky. 85kwh, B on left and right of the battery sticker, 26xx. The highest supercharging I ever bothered to measure was 95kwh, so I guess I was just over the hardware bump.

My wife can put it on my obituary ("Among his many accomplishments in life, he had a 85kwh Tesla 'B' battery pack, and there was much rejoicing.").

I see references to "A" and "B" on labels. My Model S has a completely different tag with a "D" suffix on the label.

View attachment 39444

My car came off the production line on Nov 13, 2013. VIN24200.

Awww, just when I was feeling all lucky and excited to discover my car had a Rev "B" battery... :)

Look, if it turns out 135kW charging or battery swapping or some yet-to-be-announced magic feature are limited to Rev D batteries I'm fine with that. I've gotten the benefit of driving this wonderful car for a year, as well as a huge price break vs what it would cost to buy the same car today. No complaints here if this should turn out true.

For anyone bothered by these changes, you're free to trade your car in for a newer one.

I'm guessing a lot of Signature owners bought for keeps for the first 1000+ reason. Trading is an option but having a fully supported new car would be better in my opinion. It isn't an option, but it would have been better especially given most of us planned to keep them for the foreseeable future.

More evidence of it being a date code. My Canadian Sig (built at the same time as Doug_G's is:
View attachment 39395

So another "A" stigmata and T12K, which I think is strong evidence of that 4th character being a month code. "K" would be November. The car was photographed by Tesla complete on the lot at Fremont in the first week of December 2012. The car was delivered on Dec. 20. 2012 (same day as Doug_G and many other Canadian Sigs).

Figured I should get a more complete record. I struggled a bit to get this shot without getting myself completely covered in slush, so it's pretty crappy:

IMG_2380.JPG

Canadian VIN 2006, delivered December 20, 2012
SN: T12J0001186
PN: 1014114-00-A

I suspect that Canadian Signatures were delayed a bit after they were completed due to approvals for the English/French labeling, etc., so their hardware might be a bit older than their delivery date suggests.