Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would gladly pay $12,000 to swap packs with someone with a "B" pack right now. Just PM me.

I'll gladly take you up on that.

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime, it's time for someone who has enough money to start cracking Tesla's software, because it's become apparent that Tesla can't be relied on to do the right thing by buyers.

I think that statement is unjustified. Tesla has been nothing but wonderful to me and I have had only the best experience.

I spotted four revision C batteries still in crates at my local service center. They were not very forthcoming with information on what those batteries were doing there. I'm totally speculating, but I wonder if some kind of upgrade program isn't being slowly rolled out behind the scenes? I didn't know that batteries were commonly stocked items. Also, the fact that they were labeled as C is interesting because new cars rolling off the line have D batteries. I think something is up.

Also, the fact that they were labeled as C is interesting because new cars rolling off the line have D batteries. I think something is up.

Wait... you're saying I can use D batteries in my car? *Calls up Energizer*

I have an A pack. I had the need to do some range charges in the past week, and after a few successive ones to the very end, the car stopped charging at 257 miles, after 13.75 months of operation and 18,000 miles. I'll get that added to the degradation tracking thread eventually, but it seems in line with what I've been seeing across the board regardless of battery pack type.

How would the battery warranty work for a swap like this? If I didn't live clear across the US from Aviators99, I would do the swap in a heartbeat for my babied "B" pack.

Good question for the service center doing the swap as I doubt anyone would attempt it privately. A private swap might void, but it is unknown until somebody tries it ;)

I'd anticipate that the service center would need to 'think about the request' to swap batteries between private parties and anticipate the labor would be somewhere from free to $500. For 12 large I'd expect that fee to be included :)

Good question for the service center doing the swap as I doubt anyone would attempt it privately. A private swap might void, but it is unknown until somebody tries it ;)

I'd anticipate that the service center would need to 'think about the request' to swap batteries between private parties and anticipate the labor would be somewhere from free to $500. For 12 large I'd expect that fee to be included :)
If you were to do the swap yourself(pretty easy to do with a lift), Tesla would still find out, as both cars would need new firmware.

For 2 minutes of labor? ;-)
If 2 minutes with a BSB (which is an awesome name for it joefee!) then free as the service centers are supposed to be run without profit. If no BSB then I would expect at least an hour of labor to do it safely and thus the $500 as a max possible fee.

Yes, 90 sec on Battery Swap Bot.....but I have not seen any news when "BSB" will rollout...hope that it is not just "BS" like pano shade, etc.