Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only initial options: color and wheel size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to feel like standing in line on March 31 was not worth it.

If you waited in line on the 31st and want an option that isn't available right away, once that option is available someone who placed a reservation months after you could conceivably jump you in line if they order before you and were previously granted access to order.

Your early spot in the line only really helps if you are ordering the launch config. You might be competing with tens or even hundreds of thousands of later reservation holders depending on when they release options into the configurator. I'm sure some will set up page monitoring scripts to get notified of changes.

I'm anticipating the launch car as the largest battery (75?), single motor, non-performance inverter, with a choice of one of the premium interior schemes, exterior color, metal/glass roof insert, and wheel size.

As for delayed choices I expect the dual motors, performance inverter, entry-level interior scheme (textile?), power sunroof, and perhaps premium sound to be on that list.

Reactions: kbM3 and IdaX
I guess the big question that this all boils down to is what will the car have available as options when the configurator gets open in your area. Being in the south I didn't figure on being able to configure my car until Christmas time at the earliest anyway. Wonder if I'll be able to order my performance dual motor 3 by then? If I were in Oregon and a non-employee I think I would be more concerned.

Dan

I'm anticipating the launch car as the largest battery (75?), single motor, non-performance inverter, with a choice of one of the premium interior schemes, exterior color, metal/glass roof insert, and wheel size.

As for delayed choices I expect the dual motors, performance inverter, entry-level interior scheme (textile?), power sunroof, and perhaps premium sound to be on that list.

I would imagine that the early versions would also have supercharger access so that more people can see them on the roads ;)

Just my two cents;

1. I don't think we can make any guesses on how this is going to work based on how things were done in the past.

2. If you are on the East coast or outside US, I don't think your timeline is going to be changed much, if at all.

Reactions: lukex4
I'm starting to feel like standing in line on March 31 was not worth it.
For me, camping overnight in a mall was so that I could get as close to a $7500 tax credit as possible.
you could almost think of it as people who get more options might lose out on the full tax credit.
At the same time, those who have a very high chance of getting the full tax credit will be missing out on a few additions.
It all comes down to what you value the most; if the Model 3 offers close to 300mi and autopilot from the get-go, I'm sold.

Some of the replies got me thinking:

There is gonna be some contradiction issues going on:

Are first Model 3 going to be

1.) bare bones for earliest delivery

2.) optioned out to maximize revenue and people with who desire to be first are less price elastic.

I would actually support number 2 because more revenue recovery would be good for Tesla. However that won't be a 35k car.

So which is it?

2.) optioned out to maximize revenue and people with who desire to be first are less price elastic.

I would actually support number 2 because more revenue recovery would be good for Tesla. However that won't be a 35k car.

So which is it?
3. Neither. It will have a few options that Tesla chooses (big battery, glass roof, etc.)

Last edited:

So which is it?

I think the first cars built will only have the max battery and glass roof. Those will probably increase the price to the low $40k range. I expect they will put a notice showing when the smaller battery and metal roof will be available, and make it clear the base price with those is $35k. All of the other choices in the initial configurator will either not change the cost (eg. paint color) or not be required (19" wheels, AP, FSD, etc...)