Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I spoke to the Ministry of Finance this week, they said he could cancel it any time he wants. Mike Harris got rid of photo radar 8 days after he was elected.
I believe they will still allow people with existing order to get the rebate, even if it is not delivered. Do we get purchasing order right away when ordering online? Are purchasing order enough? I wonder how things go when MoF cancelled rebates for more than $75k.

Reactions: sitter_k
He can cancel it, and he will cancel it. Question is how fast. He also doesn't have to honour any orders in progress, despite his tweet saying so. He can come up with a dozen political reasons why he changed his mind.

Why oh why did so many Ontarian's vote someone like this in, tax rebate aside. ?
I was speaking to submitted applications only. He can of course change policy whenever he wants.

The rebates will probably be cancelled asap so that Drug Frod can give the money to his pals and his own businesses and boast what a great job he's doing for Ontario. I don't suggest believing the previous words from the Con Party about honouring rebates in progress.

Reactions: navguy12
I think it's simpler than that -- ppl simply like change. Trump got elected for the same reason. He wasn't the Dems. The Reps could have put up Fred Flintstone and potentially won that election.

That's the double-edged sword that is democracy - the outcomes don't necessarily make any sense. These two clowns in question are about as suitable for office as my pet dog. And I don't have a dog. That's the problem. That I don't have a dog. (Do I even want one though?)

So I had read the EV rebate fund was likely close to being empty anyways... any chance he just lets it die instead of going through the effort of cancelling it?
Good point, although he's an ignorant, spiteful jerk, so…while he's at it, why not put in a special EV road tax? How about $2500 annually per car? "No," says his puppet master Harper, don't do that. Make it $5,000."

Did I say spiteful jerk?

Oufff... Ford with a majority...:mad:

So disappointed of my follow Ontarians neighboors.
The next 4 years will be quite harsh.

Tbh I don't think it's that bad. After 15 (or whatever) years of Liberals there was going to be a change, and that change was unlikely to ever be NDP. Ford's a complete buffoon, and while they were able to keep him quiet during the campaign, doing that while running the province for 4 years is another things altogether.

We'll be ok.

A rebate has to work, does it not? I don't see how it couldn't, i.e. that less people would buy EV's because of it. So something that benefits people's health, air quality, etc., might be phased out. An unfortunate world we live in that people think that's a good idea. Especially in ON where Toronto smog literally kills people - aside from being an obscenity for which there's no excuse at this point.

Reactions: navguy12