Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to see what the demand for EV's is with no rebates or incentives, esp in Ontario if gas prices fall a bit.

Driving.ca article: With incentives at risk, raising fuel prices is the only way to get people driving green

Without incentives making people buy them and forcing the move, nobody is in a hurry to increase adoption of electrics, it’s all just token efforts. Look at how long all the major manufacturers have been promising EVs and fuel cell vehicles - it feels like they’ve been “just around the corner” most of my adult life. The reason is clear when you think about it - none of the automakers want to destroy their dealers and their business model - servicing and fixing dirty, maintenance-heavy ICE vehicles is their lifeblood. Add to that the oil cartel as one of the worlds largest, most established industries and gas cars are not going away any time soon.

Incentives are great. This brings the better clean options even financially with the dirty options. This promotes development of green technologies, generates jobs and a market to lead the way as the prices drop. Unfortunate it's ending.

Without incentives making people buy them and forcing the move, nobody is in a hurry to increase adoption of electrics, it’s all just token efforts. Look at how long all the major manufacturers have been promising EVs and fuel cell vehicles - it feels like they’ve been “just around the corner” most of my adult life. The reason is clear when you think about it - none of the automakers want to destroy their dealers and their business model - servicing and fixing dirty, maintenance-heavy ICE vehicles is their lifeblood. Add to that the oil cartel as one of the worlds largest, most established industries and gas cars are not going away any time soon.

And the competitive advantage of the incumbent automakers is in making internal combustion engines. They have outsourced almost all other parts of the business, so if the ability to design and build ICEs is no longer important then they are screwed.

FYI, from Doug Ford Twitter asking for clarity. If anyone can further clarify this for me (what’s slush fund?) that would be great lol. About to go in and cancel based on the uncertainty of this...

2ACD882F-4D0B-464B-8E88-CE89164E32CC.png
69A6E1E8-97AF-496E-A928-C690946B33C4.png

I know he's/they've referred to "slush fund" frequently. I believe it's the revenues generated from cap and trade which are substantial so as many have suggested, of course you are good :) And hopefully also is everyone that has a purchase contract for an EV dated June 29th or prior.

Thanks. Still some uncertainty, which I’m not keen on. While I ordered on the 26th, my dealer dated the contract June 30th (why!?), so I’ll have to go in today to see what’s what. This has been a chore to say the least...lol.

And the competitive advantage of the incumbent automakers is in making internal combustion engines. They have outsourced almost all other parts of the business, so if the ability to design and build ICEs is no longer important then they are screwed.

Agree with all of that.

They would definitely have to adapt or perish but perhaps even more so for their dealers who rely on servicing so much. I think they have been trying to grapple with EV's and change in their set traditional ways and that's not conducive to quickly embracing EV's.

In the meantime, I would expect any and all methods of preserving their cash flow to come into play including lobbying and political power plays and appearing to embrace and commit to change, spinning their PR in a positive sense while playing smoke and mirrors. Lots of FUD out there propagated by those with monetary interests, not just the automakers.

Also, I think big automakers are wary of supply management issues for things like lithium and rare earth metals. You wouldn't want to ramp up huge production only to run into battery supply issues.

Agree with all of that.

They would definitely have to adapt or perish but perhaps even more so for their dealers who rely on servicing so much. I think they have been trying to grapple with EV's and change in their set traditional ways and that's not conducive to quickly embracing EV's.

In the meantime, I would expect any and all methods of preserving their cash flow to come into play including lobbying and political power plays and appearing to embrace and commit to change, spinning their PR in a positive sense while playing smoke and mirrors. Lots of FUD out there propagated by those with monetary interests, not just the automakers.

Also, I think big automakers are wary of supply management issues for things like lithium and rare earth metals. You wouldn't want to ramp up huge production only to run into battery supply issues.

We won't see any political progress till we're rid of Trump. Hopefully that's 2 years, not 6. I hope the next Democratic administration punishes the automakers for their behaviour under Trump.

Reactions: richyrich
I sent an email to Electric Vehicle (MOF) <[email protected]> asking if all the Model 3 trims that fall within the guidelines (MSRP of less than $75K) will be included in the incentive program. Specifically, the Model 3 Long Range with All Wheel Drive, which is not currently on the EV rebate list but that list has not been updated since March 2018.

Here was their reply:

We have not been advised if the Tesla 3 AWD will be an eligible vehicle on the website. The vehicle is not currently listed as eligible.

The only eligible Tesla Model 3 is the long range RWD .

Thank you,

Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP)
Ontario Ministry of Finance
Accounts Management & Collections Branch
Regional Tax Administration Program Delivery

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
FYI, from Doug Ford Twitter asking for clarity. If anyone can further clarify this for me (what’s slush fund?) that would be great lol. About to go in and cancel based on the uncertainty of this...

View attachment 314509 View attachment 314510
Thank you for this.

Its too bad that he didn't quite answer your question though.

Maybe he was just focusing on the Date of June 26th... rather than the specific question you asked. (I'm sure hes extremely busy trying to settle in to his new role and maybe just skimmed your question)

I know it's extremely unlikely, however I hope Tesla certifies the vehicle for addition to the EHVIP website. I ordered and paid the down payment on the 27th. If what most ppl are saying is correct and Ford honors all current contracts, all that's left is getting the AWD on the incentivized vehicle list. Fingers crossed I guess!

Thank you for this.

Its too bad that he didn't quite answer your question though.

Maybe he was just focusing on the Date of June 26th... rather than the specific question you asked. (I'm sure hes extremely busy trying to settle in to his new role and maybe just skimmed your question)

Well two things - 1) you're not talking to Ford directly, this is likely a junior staffer (maybe even a volunteer) on his "social media team" and 2) nothing posted on a Twitter account is binding or particularly trustworthy. Note the casual language. I wouldn't put any stock in what's said here and the suggestion you "should be ok".

I'd say to anyone looking to buy now or getting delivery soon just assume you won't get the money and rejoice if you do. Ford is at war against anything remotely "green" or "liberal" and this stuff is square in his sights. Having said all that, the car is AMAZING and I wouldn't make another choice, rebate or not.

I sent an email to Electric Vehicle (MOF) <[email protected]> asking if all the Model 3 trims that fall within the guidelines (MSRP of less than $75K) will be included in the incentive program. Specifically, the Model 3 Long Range with All Wheel Drive, which is not currently on the EV rebate list but that list has not been updated since March 2018.

Here was their reply:

We have not been advised if the Tesla 3 AWD will be an eligible vehicle on the website. The vehicle is not currently listed as eligible.

The only eligible Tesla Model 3 is the long range RWD .

Thank you,

Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP)
Ontario Ministry of Finance
Accounts Management & Collections Branch
Regional Tax Administration Program Delivery

Well back on March 27, when we first got the invite to configure the RWD... I think it took exactly 10 days to show up on the website.. Crossing my finger the same thing will happen...

Reactions: PAWilson
Why don't you guys try emailing or calling the ministry? I already emailed them and they said that I fully qualify for the $14,000 rebate and that there's no immediate plans to end this program. They said it IS going away but any existing purchases will be honoured. They said the MTO website has the most up to date info, and if it says the program is active then it's active.

Why don't you guys try emailing or calling the ministry? I already emailed them and they said that I fully qualify for the $14,000 rebate and that there's no immediate plans to end this program. They said it IS going away but any existing purchases will be honoured. They said the MTO website has the most up to date info, and if it says the program is active then it's active.
Would you mind sharing the email address? I emailed EVHIP but would like to email the ministry as well. Thanks in advance!

Doug Ford on Twitter

Ford announcement on cap and trade and winding down existing programs.

Laughable but scary how he says a bunch of stuff but really says nothing, much like someone else we hear from a lot:

“Worst tax ever” - really? I’ve still never heard any detailed analysis or facts, just hyperbole and catchphrases.

“We’re going to make sure you’re heating bill is reduced” - by how much? When? How, specifically?

“reduce gas by 10c” - how about an actual number like $1/litre for regular? Otherwise can’t he just pick any number, including one that’s already achieved?

“money back in your pocket” - how much? When? Through what mechanism?

I can’t believe anyone continues to fall for this stuff. Not only that but what about the buck-a-beer - that was at least one measurable promise, FWIW. :)

Reactions: Anto

Actually, @richyrich, price was the 7th most important factor in people wanting to buy a Tesla, according to my poll on this forum with about 300 votes.

That suggests that, with the right car (e.g. a Model 3), people will buy it regardless of the price (or discount).

Many suggest the reason that EVs have not sold well are collateral reasons, like dealer disincentive / misinformation, crummy designs, and low inventories.

Anybody want to do the analysis to break down % EVs sold compared to ICEs in rebate-supported provinces / countries vs. non-rebate supported ones?