Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they scrap the rebate due to the need for a balanced budget, there are still ways they can help with adoption of EV that won’t break the bank.

1. Allow green plates to use HOV with single rider again. Not sure why they scrapped this to begin with.

2. Some discount to use the 407 ETR (e.g. first x KMs each month free)

3. Other members add more ideas...
When did they scrap green plate single rider HOV lanes? I was not aware of that.

Sometime in 2017 June or July. They can still be used on HOT lanes but not HOV with single rider.
I think you're thinking of lanes that were restricted during the Games last summer. The following is a direct quote from the current govt. page:
"Your Green Vehicle licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Vehicles with these plates have ongoing access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes and no-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people. HOT lanes are otherwise reserved for single-occupant vehicles with a permit or vehicles carrying two or more people."

I think you're thinking of lanes that were restricted during the Games last summer. The following is a direct quote from the current govt. page:
"Your Green Vehicle licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Vehicles with these plates have ongoing access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes and no-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people. HOT lanes are otherwise reserved for single-occupant vehicles with a permit or vehicles carrying two or more people."

The HOV lane signs on the 404 do not show the Green Plates symbol to signify that you can ride in the HOV with one occupant. Am I mistaken?

Conseratives have publicly stated they will kill Climate Action Plan, cap & trade and take federal government to court if Feds impose carbon tax. EV rebates are part of Climate Action Plan and cap&trade are how it gets financed. Pretty clear what conservatives will do ASAP once elected.
This was pre-Ford, so officially they have no current stated policy on this issue, or indeed most issues.

However, I do expect Ford will kill the rebate at some point. His track record on environmental issues is abysmal.

As of March 20, 2018 the MTO site lists the following from green plates:
“Your Green Vehicle licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Vehicles with these plates have ongoing access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes and no-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people. HOT lanes are otherwise reserved for single-occupant vehicles with a permit or vehicles carrying two or more people.”

1. I couldn't find information how much time does it take to receive an EV rebate?
2. Also, government site says:
  • You apply directly to the Ministry of Finance who sends you the incentive; or,
  • The dealer/leasing company gives you a point of sale/lease discount, you assign the incentive to the dealership/leasing company and the dealership applies on your behalf via the Grants Ontario online portal.
Just wondering which option to choose?

With Tesla, there is no such option. In Ontario, you pay upfront for the vehicle on delivery and they submit the paperwork in your name to the government and then you receive you rebate in your bank account by direct deposit in a few months time.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
If they scrap the rebate due to the need for a balanced budget, there are still ways they can help with adoption of EV that won’t break the bank.

1. Allow green plates to use HOV with single rider again. Not sure why they scrapped this to begin with.

407 ETR is a private company, they don't give a $$^# about EV

I'd love to see the ability of EV with green plates to have single occupancy access to municipal diamond and bus lanes (Bay Street, Highway 7, Don Mills etc)

... they submit the paperwork in your name...

I got the impression for the government web site that in general you submitted it yourself (I'm preparing mine as I go -- I just need the Model 3 and it's paperwork to complete it...). Certainly the car company/dealership can do it, it just requires a few extra bits of information on the forms. However, it may differ for leases versus purchases (and maybe loans versus cash).

I've not been through the process before, so I will readily defer to someone who has.

Reactions: navguy12
I got the impression for the government web site that in general you submitted it yourself (I'm preparing mine as I go -- I just need the Model 3 and it's paperwork to complete it...). Certainly the car company/dealership can do it, it just requires a few extra bits of information on the forms. However, it may differ for leases versus purchases (and maybe loans versus cash).

I've not been through the process before, so I will readily defer to someone who has.

My concern with Tesla applying for the incentive on our behalf is timing. Unless the EVIP is dead I want the application email sent in the same day I take delivery. They may have best intentions but with a possible bulk delivery event resulting in piles of paperwork I have my doubts. Timing was not a large issue in the past.
I would be more comfortable if the application was submitted during delivery. If this is not possible I will submit it myself.

af1zUXe.png

Get the rebate while you still can!

• Funny
Reactions: Whisky and Tony_YYZ