Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the application...

I noticed it asks for the "Order Date". are they looking for our order date of March 27th (or whenever you configured)... or is that actually the delivery date??

Anyone happen to know? (who may have filled out an application before??)
Yes, the date you "ordered" the car.

In my situation, block B3 is populated with 2018/04/05.

Unforti

Unfortunately I think we'll see a big protest and "simple politics" vote just like with Trump. EHVIP is a good example - Conservatives should have no problem spinning it as an "your taxes paying for rich guys to buy $100k cars", even if that is no longer the truth in detail. I suspect your average ON voter has no interest in electric vehicles or the environment, which isn't unreasonable seeing as plenty of people are just working hard to make ends meet. It's not tough to appeal to peoples' traditional short-term and wallet-driven needs.
There's an incorrect "assumption" EV rebate funding come from general tax payers... IT DOES NOT... It comes from cap&trade revenue from big polluter corporations... The same big polluters who will just pocket the savings when the Conservatives cancel cap&trade... Conserative party has made it very clear they will do NOTHING to fight global warming..

I had almost decided to order a Model 3, but I think it is too late now with the election just 4 weeks away. Way back when I put the deposit down I had planned my finances on having the rebate and trading in the Volt; and on getting the standard battery with PUP, but Tesla is so far behind the original schedule at the time of the deposit that that is not going to happen. I hesitated because of the delay in Model 3 making the rebate list, and now it is too close to the election to order. Would not hazard it now, with my luck on getting the worst of all worlds: losing the rebate and getting the LR battery without really needing it, a $25,000 difference since we have the S for long distance travel. If by some miracle the rebate survives the election or I win the lottery with our work place group lottery tickets then .....

Why still many ppl says here that rebate may disappear right after election?

How long it takes after election to have a new premier? At least rebate will be safe during those say at least two weeks?

If that’s that case, Tesla will deliver all Model 3 in order before new premier in Ontario appearance.

Last edited:
Green Party of Ontario platform states the following: Support the purchase of electric vehicles through a rebate program for purchasing electric vehicles with a cap on the vehicle purchase price, eliminating HST on zero emission vehicles, and providing free overnight vehicle charging for residential customers.

EDIT: Not to mention they also have the following on their website as well:

Add more charging stations along 400 series highways as quickly as possible.

That sounds awfully similar to the Liberal's EV section of their climate change plan. I had emailed Wynne's office about eliminating HST and free overnight charging still which both were supposed to arrive this/last year. They completely ignored me asking about HST but said they were still working on free overnight charging.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
That sounds awfully similar to the Liberal's EV section of their climate change plan. I had emailed Wynne's office about eliminating HST and free overnight charging still which both were supposed to arrive this/last year. They completely ignored me asking about HST but said they were still working on free overnight charging.

I'm probably dreaming, but I had a thought that the Liberals might announce eliminating the HST June 1st. Just in time for the election and our new cars. Might explain why Tesla is holding off on delivering them any sooner.

Reactions: ZooSean
I'm probably dreaming, but I had a thought that the Liberals might announce eliminating the HST June 1st. Just in time for the election and our new cars. Might explain why Tesla is holding off on delivering them any sooner.
Once the election period formally begins this week, the caretaker convention applies until the new government is sworn in. This article covers the situation well.

The article makes it clear that there's a large amount of discretion in determining how far the convention goes, but I doubt that changes to EV policy would fall under it. An HST removal would not be routine, it would be controversial (the PCs would oppose), it's not urgent, and while it would be reversible, there'd still be a cost to paying out for people who claimed prior to the new party sworn in. The Liberals could try and see if attempting it causes any problems for them, but my guess is Ford would jump all over them and he'd actually be right to do so. It would simply be inappropriate for the Liberals to change tax rules during a campaign.

Also, I don't know if removal of the HST (even if just the provincial portion) would require legislative changes; if so, it would absolutely be impossible once the house recesses for the election period.