Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The danger in the AWD configuration is that it's not on the "official" government EVIP list at the moment. It still needs to be certified, and that may not happen with the impending cancellation of the program. I weighed the option, and decided to go RWD to make sure that the vehicle I ordered was still "technically" eligible for the rebate.

I ended up doing the same. If the AWD version shows up as an official listing I may contact Tesla to change my order but not sure if they'll allow that.

My issue is that I cannot/will not buy the car without the rebate. As of right now, it's showing the rebate, and everything is fine.

Unlike other automakers, Tesla doesn’t discount the purchase price and submit the rebate for you. You’re on the hook for the full purchase price and you have to submit paperwork to the Ministry after you take delivery. So just because the configurator page is showing the rebate doesn’t guarantee you’ll get it.

This is the official list of eligible vehicles for the EVHIP:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

Anything not on the list (like the AWD config) doesn’t qualify. What’s the likelihood of AWD being added to the list on the eve of the Doug Ford era? Very very slim.

Reactions: navguy12
There were a couple of folks in an EV club I belong to that reached out and got this answer. It was posted in the form of back-and-forth text conversation with someone in the campaign. Of course anything can happen, but I doubt they would cancel a program retroactively.

Not a change of government, but the same sort of thing happened when I bought my X earlier this year: I ordered January 31st, confirmed (locked in) in February, then in early March the gov't cut the rebate on S and X models to zero. By proving I was locked in before the change, they honored my rebate application when I submitted it in early April. My $14,000 cheque arrived in the mail just this past Wednesday.

Just ordered my AWD Model 3 today, delivery estimate 3-5 months. The chance that the incentive survives that long seems pretty slim, but I hope the new government will also honor the locked-in orders similarly to yours. Although I do not really expect them to do so, but still hope nonetheless.

Just ordered my AWD Model 3 today, delivery estimate 3-5 months. The chance that the incentive survives that long seems pretty slim, but I hope the new government will also honor the locked-in orders similarly to yours. Although I do not really expect them to do so, but still hope nonetheless.

Don’t want to burst your bubble but in order for you to be eligible for the rebate, the AWD trim must be on this list:
Eligible Electric Vehicles

As you can see, only the RWD trim qualifies right now. So being “locked in” doesn’t mean much since the car you ordered isn’t eligible.

Reactions: adaptabl
Got an invite to order this evening and proceeded with a default RWD plus EAP and FSD. Rolling the dice on a rebate but given how
unexpected this was I'm taking the chance given it might be now or never. Est delivery is 3.5 to 5.5 months. Hopefully they aren't just padding their Q2 figures :)

Ludatik - if you want a shot at the rebate, I would go back and reconfigure your order for RWD. If not, no worries but as stated above, it needs to be on the list.

How long did you wait from the order date to the time that you got confirmation of your delivery schedule?

I've still not heard yet.... It's been since the 7th.
I ordered May 18 and got my email May 28th for a June 7th delivery. I ordered them because I was concerned about the rebate and gambled. I knew there were a ton of 3s going to the IC so I figured there was a good chance I’d get in on time. Submitted my application before the polls closed.

Interesting watching this conversation from a province that has never had a rebate.
We've been using an iMiev for local deliveries here for 4 years now and it's great for what it's intended for, not so good as an all around car.
Our products are now in stores all around the province and we're sending our deliveries with a large truck right now, but want to change that.
Been hovering over the purchase page on an X which could tow our trailer filled with deliveries around the province in the winter safely, and if there were a $14,500 rebate, we'd have clicked it already.
Not wealthy, company just slightly better than break even, cash flow at full price vs cash flow with a rebate ~$200/month different. Not a lot, but given we can get the job done for significantly less with ICE minivan as most of the competition does it becomes an economic decision that has nothing to do with wealth and class. Sure wish Nissan would bring the new eNV200, though even it would have a hard time with the 850 km around the province in a single day trip that we have to do.
Personally, I've never been in favour of up front rebates on EVs, but have preferred a model that would incentivize use. An EV that does nothing but sit in a driveway looking pretty is doing nothing for the environment. I get the feeling that most of the users on this site drive lots of kms on their Teslas, but you've got to admit there are a few out there that barely have the new tire indicators worn off.
I suggested to all the political parties in NB that they consider for this year's election a platform where EVs (regardless of the purchase price) would get a rebate of .10/km driven for the first 100K of use, as confirmed at the annual vehicle inspection time.
None of the parties have yet to release their platforms, we'll see if they agree with the idea.

Reactions: phigment and Struja
You got the wrong guy. I was the one letting @ZsoZso know that AWD doesn’t qualify. I actually have a RWD config ordered already (but would prefer AWD).

Ooops...yes, sorry, I knew that but was distracted and when I came back somehow presumed it was the post above me instead of 2 up.

Surprised there aren't more postings from people with new invites. I had only recently reserved.

For the record, only the hope of a rebate allows me to consider this given the cost differential between EV's and ICE vehicles. Gas savings will be about 4k / year. Regardless how they are deployed, we need incentives to drive change forward.

If the rebate isn't allowed for some reason, I'll be asking if I can be refunded and if not, will delay purchase till the feds announce something which I presume they will do.

Need some advice.

Apparently my reservation from two months popped, and I can now configure the car (that was quick).

It says 3-5 months for delivery.

My issue is that I cannot/will not buy the car without the rebate. As of right now, it's showing the rebate, and everything is fine.

My question is - if I purchase the car, as is right now with the rebate, is there any way of me being screwed out of it? I'm assuming the rebate is based on the pickup date, but what happens if I receive the car in November, but rebate was cutoff in October.

I don't have an out, I would lose the deposit. Anyone have any advice?

Tesla told me you’d lose the $4200 deposit but are able to put that towards a future purchase. I don’t think the rebate will be around in Fall, personally. But that’s speculative.

They also list the performance model with the rebate....

That can't be right. The MTO website clearly states a maximum of an MSRP $75K. This AWD performance version is showing an MSRP of 92K so the rebate shouldn't even be an option? I would suspect the only dual motor/AWD version that would apply would be the base model minus EAP as choosing both would likely put you past an MSRP of 75K. I don't have the option to configure since I'm locked in so if someone else could list the price of the base model AWD version plus EAP that would be helpful. I really wanted EAP so my RWD as configured is already $70,700 with stock tires and paint. I guess you could always pay for EAP afterward but it'll cost you extra.

When did you place the order and what was the delivery estimate at the time? I ordered June 19 and the estimate was 4-8 weeks. I hope the sudden change in delivery estimates to 3-5 months for new orders doesn't apply to me...

I placed an order on the 23rd of June and was told 4 - 8 weeks as well. I also called Tesla (about a financing question) and they confirmed I was locked in for a 4 - 8 week timeframe. That being said I'm also mildly concerned about the new delivery estimates.

That can't be right. The MTO website clearly states a maximum of an MSRP $75K. This AWD performance version is showing an MSRP of 92K so the rebate shouldn't even be an option? I would suspect the only dual motor/AWD version that would apply would be the base model minus EAP as choosing both would likely put you past an MSRP of 75K. I don't have the option to configure since I'm locked in so if someone else could list the price of the base model AWD version plus EAP that would be helpful. I really wanted EAP so my RWD as configured is already $70,700 with stock tires and paint. I guess you could always pay for EAP afterward but it'll cost you extra.
Its not like that.

The MSRP is based off of the vehicles base price without options (like EAP and FSD and Premium Upgrades package)

What does matter is the trim level (RWD plus long range battery... or AWD plus long range battery). So long as it does not exceed $75,000 before options your good.

With this said, you wont be able to get the rebate on any AWD Model 3's until the EVIP list of approved vehicles is updated (which at this moment seems unlikely).

Right now, your best option is to buy the first production model 3 as its the only approved Tesla vehicle eligible for the rebate (plus if you order now, you still get the free lifetime internet package thingy).

I asked the hypothetical to Tesla - they said I would lose my deposit. So yeah, my ship has sailed.

When I called Tesla yesterday they told me I could use the deposit for another purchase but didn't specify it had to be a different model car (I asked). That being said *if* we get the rebate for our RWD cars the difference in price is over $20K compared to even the base model AWD car. Unless it shows up on the MTO website I'm not holding my breath. If it does show up I may try to gamble provided the MSRP is under 75K.

Does anyone have any more info on when Doug Ford will make an announcement regarding the cancellation of EVIP?

The danger in the AWD configuration is that it's not on the "official" government EVIP list at the moment. It still needs to be certified, and that may not happen with the impending cancellation of the program. I weighed the option, and decided to go RWD to make sure that the vehicle I ordered was still "technically" eligible for the rebate.
My thoughts
I placed an order on the 23rd of June and was told 4 - 8 weeks as well. I also called Tesla (about a financing question) and they confirmed I was locked in for a 4 - 8 week timeframe. That being said I'm also mildly concerned about the new delivery estimates.
Same boat as you I really wanted AWD and very worried my rwd is now 3-5 months away. If my rwd rebate doesn't make it I might switch to AWD as it'll only be $5300 more at that point.